Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc
Default Changes due to Storm

Given Tropical Storm Katrina's location and projected path, Empress of the Seas did not return to Port Everglades on Thursday, but instead headed for the Port of Tampa, with bus transport provided to Port Everglades and Tampa Airport for return trips home. Guests booked on the regular Thursday sailing of Empress of the Seas from Port Everglades were instead transported by bus to the Port of Tampa for departure. That cruise will conclude in Port Everglades on Monday as originally planned. The change in departure port means the ship will not call at Key West on Friday, but instead will spend Friday at sea, arriving into Cozumel, Mexico, on Saturday. Empress of the Seas will then spend a day at sea Sunday and return to Port Everglades Monday morning. Royal Caribbean has also adjusted schedules for two Miami-based ships. Majesty of the Seas' four-night sailing originally scheduled to conclude on Friday will instead spend that day at sea and arrive in Miami on Saturday. Majesty of the Seas' upcoming three-night sailing, originally scheduled to depart from Miami on Friday, will be shortened to a two-night sailing. Guests who wish to cancel will receive a 50 percent refund, but guests who sail will receive a $100 onboard credit. This shortened cruise will begin on Saturday and include a port of call in Nassau, Bahamas, on Sunday, before returning to the Port of Miami on Monday. Navigator of the Seas is expected to arrive as scheduled at the Port of Miami on Saturday and depart on time for its next sailing the same day. However, Royal Caribbean urges guests booked on that sailing to monitor www.royalcaribbean.com for any changes.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:18 AM
cpaige

Default Re: Changes due to Storm

Royal Caribbean has the WORST Customer Service. How come other boats like Carnival are offering customers who cruises are cut short a day will get a discount for their cruise and a discount towards their next cruise. And also if guests wish to cancel they will get a FULL refund, not 50% like RCI is offering. RCI needs to get their act together and improve their customer relations skills. All they care about is making money. I will never sail on RCI AGAIN.

Check out the postings on Carnival and you can see how much better they treat their guests due to the storm and the changed intinery.
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Changes due to Storm

Probably because Carnival is still trying to gain customers back after their ships continuously start on fire!

Old August 26th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

It all depends Last year during Hurricane Frances RCI treated us wonderful. They gave every one FREE Internet to contact family and rearrange their flight arrangements and FREE phone calls while we were out at sea. Then for the cruisers after us, whose trip was shortened by 2 days, RCI gave them $500 shipboard credit and 50% off their next cruise. If you chose to cruise during hurricane season, be sure to purchase travel insurance. We get it for all cruises.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Do you think this storm will affect the SOS cruise leaving Port Canaveral on 9-5?

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM
el capitan

That is so far ahead, 10 days... who could predict that? It probably won't be this storm but there could be a new storm then.
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:10 PM
ho hum

Check the weather channel. I think this storm is supposed to stall out and sit directly over Port Canaveral for 5 months. Oceans will rise, empires will fall.
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:01 PM
First Mate

From everything I have been reading, RCCI NO LONGER treats their passengers fairly or respectfully when such issues arise. You just may have been the last of the lucky ones. Is it true what another has written on another cruise board -- a new CEO whose MO is screw the passengers, to try to make the stockholders happy in the short run, but will ruin the profits in the long run? Or, as yet another has speculated, is it screw your pax to pay for the Freedom? Or could it be like the airlines -- RCCI hoping for monkey see/monkey do -- if they start screwing the pax, maybe those who are not, like Carnival, in these situations, will follow suit, and the choices will be removed on the issue. Short term hit, for a long term benefit? Who knows, but it's not good, and I question if it is legal -- not refunding the pro-rata loss when what you have paid for has been reduced by one or two days.
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM
First Mate

Just checked out the carnival board, couldn't find anyone raving about how well they were treated, in fact couldn;t find any post about the rerouting of the ship due to a hurricane. Only posts that were there, were about port changes due to some ports being destroyed by the storm. Perhaps the OP could guide me to these wonderful reviews.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Admiral

slotaddit,

Having been thru a hurricane while cruising on both RCI and Carnival, I think they both do a great job of keeping everyone safe and informed.

I think the ones that complain do so because the solutions that the cruiselines give weren't they way the cruiser wanted or thought they should be handled. They can't make everyone happy, just safe.

Under Carnival update 630 pm 8/39 you can find this post which was there before you posted your message...and another under Just got back..

Author: Darcy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 08-30-05 12:00

I was just on the Inspiration cruise that left Tampa on 8/25 and returned to Ft. Lauderdale on 8/29. Carnival did a great job keeping us updated as to what was going on, let us make free phone calls on Sunday 8/28 and generally keeping us away from the hurricane. They made arrangements to get everyone back to Tampa that needed to go there by motorcoach. I changed my flight home to fly out of Fort Lauderdale rather than go back to Tampa. There really wasn't anything more they could do. Mother Nature was in charge! I didn't hear anyone on the ship complaining. Sure some people were inconvienced and I'm sure no one was looking forward to a 5 hour bus ride, but everyone was safe.

Post Edited (08-30-05 20:13)

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302