Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:01 AM
chipmeister

Default Dining Room

Anybody know anything about when, where, how, you go about trying to change your dining room assignment/seating on board Mariner on day one? I remember getting the scoop about the best way to go about it when we sailed Serenade last year and it helped but I need some details for Mariner. Thanks...

Chip
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Captain

Default Re: Dining Room

Pick up a Cruise Compass as soon as you board - should be one in your cabin. It will list the time(s) you can change your table assignment.

If the Cruise Compass isn't available, go to the dining room soon after boarding, and you will see a long line of people - that's probably the line of people waiting to make changes. Get in line and be patient.
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:31 PM
cricket55

Default Re: Re: Dining Room

Best to go to the dining room in person and check out your table as soon as you get on board (or at least after lunch). Your table # should be on your Seapass card. If you are not satisfied with your table, you can then see the Maitre D', who will be at a table at the entrance to the dining room (not sure which floor he would be on Mariner). Usually earlier on, there isn't a big line up to see him but there sure is by the end of the afternoon. Changes are usually based on availability and what and when you want to change to. For example, late seating is more popular than early, so it's easier to change from late to early, rather than the other way around. Also, there are limited numbers of smaller tables, so it's harder to change to that than to a larger table. They are usually pretty good at accomodating you though, but sometimes it takes a day or 2.

One cruise (on Celebrity) we were supposed to be at a table for 6 and there were only 4 of us and we couldn't understand a word the guy said, so we asked to be switched to another table for 6. Next night, same scenario with only 4 of us at the table and this couple was even worse (very morose and boring) so we decided to just stay on our own at a table for 2 the rest of the cruise. The dining room staff were very accomodating with these changes and we ended up meeting another couple and joining them at their table for a couple of nights, so it all worked out good. This is the only cruise that I've ever requested a change on due to "personalities or lack thereof" at our table. Every other cruise we've LOVED our tablemates and have stayed good friends with one couple, years after the cruise.
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM
chipmeister

Default Re: Re: Re: Dining Room

Thanks, I figured that would be it. We have 4 people and we are waitlisted for main so I hope it holds true that it's easier to switch to main from late. On serenade, I got to the place they were doing it 5 minutes after they opened and I was already number 20 in line. But...they were able to accomodate pretty much everyone. But, becoming a student of human behavior for a few minutes, I noticed that that applied to everyone who was nice. But anyone who went up ticked off and stated yelling and complaining seemed to have considerably more trouble getting what they wanted. Coincidence? Hmmmm.
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SandyS
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dining Room

There's nothing worse than sitting at a dining room table with a couple of boring old fogies. I didn't know you could change table after the first night. Although, we were put with some "older" people our last trip and I thought we would have nothing in common but we had a ball, laughed the whole trip and still write back and forth so you never know.