Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Passenger

Default Buying Liquor on board

Has anyone been on the ship since August 5th when they no longer allow you to purchase liquor from the duty free shop? Can you take the drinks you buy at the bar to your room? Is drinking allowed in your cabin? Has the policy really changed?
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM
DanP

Default Re: Buying Liquor on board

You can buy liquor in the gift shop.If you want it for your room they will charge you a corkage charge,and let you take it back to your room.But only one bottle.
But if you pack a bottle in bubble wrap and put in your suitcase just befor you board you may get it on.Dont carry it on in your carryon because they will see it when they screen you carry on and take it and return it on the last night.
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

We buy some coconut rum prior to our cruise and stick it in a water bottle and nothing is ever said we then buy more rum on the ship to take home with us.
Lexi
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:58 PM
CatherineB

Just returned from Maj of Seas cruise. Without any problem or questioning by any shipmate we carried drinks from any lounge, including the martini bar to other places on the ship as well as to our room.
The on board duty free liquor shop was open anytime we were at sea and purchases were allowed and delivered to rooms the morning of departure.
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Frank Black

Bart... That August 5th date is an urban legend. For $9.50 you can take it back to your cabin.
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Sure hope that is right. I love to have a drink on the Balcony when ever I want it.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Buying Liquor on board

Unfortunately, Mr. Black is incorrect. I called RCI and was told that effective last month, you can NO LONGER purchase alcohol on board and bring it back to your room for consumption. It will be delivered the last day of the cruise.
I also contacted RCI by e-mail to confirm this and they did...I'm cruising in two weeks so I had to ask...sorry

Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Shades

Was just on the Grandeur Aug 14-19 and bought 2 bottles of liquor in the gift shop and brought it back to our room; could have opened them there if we wanted. We had a premium drink package (free drinks the whole cruise) and frequently brought drinks back to the room.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Littlered

What do you mean when you say "premium drink package"? How do you go about getting that? How much does it cost?
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:59 AM
Shades

It was a group package for friends and fans of the B Street Band - a Springsteen tribute band that we went with. Essentially it was an organized group. For all I know the band probably went free because of all the people they encouraged to go.

The cost of the cruise was about $300 higher than I've seen on cruise travel sites for a similar cabin, but it included all drinks and gratuities (including all the gratuities the last night). Wine bottles at dinner were not included, but you could get free wine by the glass .

We're not BIG drinkers but we estimated we drank at least that much including soda too. I always brought a soda back to the room when we went to bed in case I got thirsty during the night or first thing in the morning. We had a sticker on our passcard that said "Premiuim Drink Package". Some bartenders would just see that and give us the drinks, others would swipe the card and have us sign the receipt like anyone else, but the charge was $0.

I don't know if you can get the drink package without the group package deal. I know they have the soda package but I didn't see anything about an alcohol package you could buy independently.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Passenger

If they truly had a "premium drink package" allowing for ulimited drinks, there would be huge chaos on the ship. Years ago, the Chicago Cubs had 5 cent beer night, the game ended by the 5th inning.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Shades,
You are correct. Drink packages are only available to large group bookings. I wish the cruise lines would have a package like 5 drinks for $15 or similar.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Frank Black

If I were you I would go the very first night to the gift shop area. They always allow you to sample small shots of their liquor. Meet the guy pouring the shots and ask him about the policy and if he can do anything. Be sure to report back here after the cruise.
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Honey

Last week on the Radiance I purchased liquor on board and they did not deliver it until the last night of the cruise directly to our stateroom. I could not take it to my cabin immediately after purchase!
Old September 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Beginner

I don't know where some of this info is coming from, but our family cruised on the Mariner in September 2005, and buying a bottle at the gift shop (with the corkage fee) and taking it to your cabin was no problem at all.
Old September 18th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Just got back from Alaska Cruise on Radiance of Sea 9-18-05. On Thursday night you could buy from on board with out any extra charge and take to room. All other times NO way. In Ketchikan they have a duty free liquor store. Can purchase, they will ask for room number, and put Sea Pass number in for Customs. No problem, don;t let that bother you. and have to drive you back to pier. I took it on in bags and no problems. Hope this helps. 8)
Old September 18th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Admiral

I was also on the Radiance with David and there were signs saying policy has changed and you are no longer allowed to purchase and have it delivered to your cabin. I also witnessed people purchasing liquor in the the gift ships and being told it would be delivered to their cabin the last night.

David...did you go to the M&M? I was there, looking to intoduce myself but the only David was DaveWA. Sorry I missed you and your wife but didn't we have an awesome cruise and PERFECT weather!!! Hope your excursions were great too.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Ca Cruiser: We had plane trouble and didn't make the ship until Monday after it docked in Juneau. Long story, but I will never fly United Airlines again . I am also disappointed with RCI representives. But everything great after I got on board. Great weather and great excursions. Wonderful trip other then the misfortune
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Beginner

We were on the Empress of the Seas from Sep. 12-17, 2005. No liquor purchased from the Duty Free area was allowed to leave the store until the last night of the cruise. If you wanted a drink you had to go to a bar and buy one there. We brought home a few bottles duty free but they had no boxes so we had to deal with the bottles in bags....it was a pain keeping them from breaking in our carry ons.

We asked them about taking a bottle to the room. No way from Duty Free. However, you could get wine by the bottle in your room if you get it from room service or from a bar. Just not from Duty Free.