Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: formal night attire

Fitzle, I could really care less where you and Ray are from and how much money you spend on vacations every year. I also could care less what each of you wears on formal nights. My food will taste just as good either way, and I will be watching my plate, rather than the other diners.

I reluctantly follow the suggrsted guidlines for dinner wear on my cruises, since I have never felt comfortable in a suit.

Live and let live and you will live longer!
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Yeoman

If you are not comfortable in a suit, then don't go to the dining room on formal nights. Simple as that. No one debated how your food will taste, that is not the issue. Try folling the guidelines instead of thinking you are above the rules.
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Admiral

The point is that neither you nor I have any right to tell people where they should or should not eat regardless of what they wear. I always wear what is suggested, but I would still eat in the dining room, even if I did not.

We would all be better off if we would mind our own business.
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Passenger

<~~~usually wears beach pants to the dinners and may dress up for the 2 formals, but that is my choice, not anyone else's, after 45 years I am doing it my way with my money. 8)
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM
First Mate

Paul B

I agree with you completely. I also could care less what people pay for their vacations, or how many they go on. I could care less how they dress and I do not have the right to tell someone else how to dress.
Everyone here shoud just get over themselves and move on.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:27 PM
First Mate

We are not telling you how to dress however the cruise lines are putting this in writing and would ask that you attempt to follow these guidelines.it has nothing to do with how much money you have or how many cruises you have taken or what accomodations you have on a particular cruise.If you are invited to a formal wedding what would you consider as appropriate attire for an evening wedding?
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Passenger

There is a big difference in what you wear to a wedding you are invited to and they paid for versus my vacation that I work very hard for 51 weeks for.
The cruiselines guidelines are just suggestions, like suggested retail price you still shop around for a bargain don't you?
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
We are not telling you how to dress however the cruise lines are putting this in writing and would ask that you attempt to follow these guidelines.it has nothing to do with how much money you have or how many cruises you have taken or what accomodations you have on a particular cruise.If you are invited to a formal wedding what would you consider as appropriate attire for an evening wedding?
I think this hits the nail right on the head. It is the CRUISELINE'S guidelines and, therefore, it is the CRUISELINE'S decision as to whether to enforce it or not (apparently, they have chosen not). What I wear is between me and the CRUISELINE and noone else.

And I have not been INVITED to take a cruise, I have PAID to take one. Big difference!
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:26 PM
First Mate

I think this hits the nail right on the head. It is the CRUISELINE'S guidelines and, therefore, it is the CRUISELINE'S decision as to whether to enforce it or not (apparently, they have chosen not). What I wear is between me and the CRUISELINE and noone else.

And I have not been INVITED to take a cruise, I have PAID to take one. Big difference![/quote]

I'm with you, I have yet to be turned away from any dining room, or show, or anything for that matter based on what I am wearing.
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
First Mate

maybe the answer is to forget all dress codes and let,s all come to dinner in our best pair of jeans or cut off shorts and when this happenjs many will switch to another type of vacation such as all inclusive where anything goes.If we are to be presented with fine dining the least we can do is play our part and make the occasion something special.
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Clothes do not make the man. The man makes the clothes. As I stated earlier, we would all be much better off is we would mind our own business.

Live and let live.
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ya feelin' lucky?

We were on Enchantment in September - some yo yo came to second seating on the first formal night wearing pressed jeans and a t-shirt. The Maitre'D stopped him and advised him he would have to change his attire. People in line behind "Mr. Casual" actually applauded the Maitre'D. His companion was beet red, not sure if she was embarrased or pi$$ed...because she was dressed rather nicely.

Our party got some yucks about that. (He came back about 15 minutes later wearing slacks, a collared shirt and a jacket.)

Then there was the father and three kids on the Mariner last May. The father showed up on casual night in a tank top and shorts. He was asked to change before he would be served. He actually left the kids alone at the table while he put on a shirt and slacks.

Moral of the story: Keep wearing your jeans to formal night, and eventually you'll encounter a Maitre'D who will courteously ask you to leave...
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: formal night attire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP
I am not a suit and tie man so on formal nights[we have been on 27 cruises]I wear a jacket no tie.After all I am on VACATION.
This plain does not wash. Fine if you are eating at Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans. But if you are eating at a 4 star restuarant EVEN ON VACATION and you are required to wear a jacket to be admitted, you wear a jacket.

Now mostly on a land vacation we do the Cracker Barrrel/Bob Evans thing. But once we spent our anniversary in Savannah, Ga and went to a nice 4 star restuarant the night of our anniversary and yes we dressed to code which meant hubby wore a coat and tie and I, a nice pantsuit. We would not have dreamed going there the way we would dress for Bob Evans.

Most men have a nice sportcoat, which they at least pull out for funerals but I guess you are probally one of those who would show up at his parent's funeral minus the sportcoat-on well........... It takes all kinds to make up the world I guess-we can overlook you.
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: formal night attire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
...Most men have a nice sportcoat, which they at least pull out for funerals but I guess you are probally one of those who would show up at his parent's funeral minus the sportcoat-on well........... It takes all kinds to make up the world I guess-we can overlook you.
I think you better re-read Dan's message. He didn't say he didn't wear a jacket. He said he doesn't wear a tie. I find it hard to believe that anyone would even notice, let alone care, that an otherwise well-dressed man doesn't have a 2 inch strip of colored cloth dangling from his neck.
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM
First Mate

How diffucult is it to put on a coat and tie for a first class dining experience?My question would be how do you show up for a formal wedding?Iguess it takes all types and this is why we will remain withCelebrity and Holland wher most cruisers have no trouble dressing for this first class dining experience.
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
How diffucult is it to put on a coat and tie for a first class dining experience?My question would be how do you show up for a formal wedding?Iguess it takes all types and this is why we will remain withCelebrity and Holland wher most cruisers have no trouble dressing for this first class dining experience.
I think that depends on what your definition of "first class dining experience" is? I have been on almost every mass market cruiseline (I haven't been on Holland) and I have yet to have what I consider a "first class dining experience". The food may have fancier names and be served in multiple courses, however it tastes no better and is of no better quality than what I can get down at the local Applebee's. The napkins may be cloth and the waiters in tuxedos, however the dining room is as noisy and chaotic as any family style restaurant in town (and not because of the presence of children, but because of the sheer chaos of serving 1,000+ people at once). Not my idea of first class and not worth dressing up for. And before anybody comes down on me for being too fussy, let me say that I prefer it this way. Anything truly approaching first class would be too stuffy for my tastes.

And comparing a cruise dinner to a wedding is not a fair comparison. For a wedding, you are dressing up in honor of the couple getting married. If you care about them enough to show up, you probably also care about them enough to consider it a special occasion worth dressing up for. On a cruise, you are dining in the same restaurant where it was perfectly acceptable to dress casually the night before and where it will be perfectly acceptable again tomorrow night. In other words, what's the special occasion? There is none other than somebody saying "hey everyone, let's play dress up!".

I'm not advocating totally flaunting the rules by showing up for formal night in shorts or jeans, but to come down on an otherwise nicely dressed man because he choose not to wear a tie or a jacket while on VACATION is just plain ridiculous.
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just returned from the Vision last week, and I saw all levels of "dressing up" on the ship. A few were in gowns and tuxes, most (like us) were in cocktail dresses and suits or dark sport coats and slacks. My hubby does not own a suit, does not need one in his line of work, he wore a black sports coat, dark grey slacks, a shirt and tie the first formal night and a black patterned shirt and no tie the second (with the slacks and jacket). He fit right in both nights, actually had some people ask him on the second night if he was a movie star! Our tablemates were from Scotland, he wore a kilt and formal Scottish jacket both nights, looked great. One older gentleman from Texas had on his hat, boots, and long western style coat and he looked great too. I saw some people dressed more like they were going to church or work in an office, but they looked nice and I didn't have any problem with their choice. I saw a few men in shirts and ties without jackets but not many. I don't think I saw anyone in the dining room on formal nights in jeans, there were a few young men/older teens (hard to tell) who were in baggy pants and long shirts with sideways ball caps, I didn't think qualified for formal, but I didn't let it bother me. I love going "glitzy" since I don't get that many opportunities to, but I don't have a problem with those who at least make an effort to dress better than they would for the regular dinners. BTW, I checked my Compass every day, and never saw it say "no jeans allowed in the dining room at night", just no shorts or tank tops. Also, I never saw a listing for "Smart Casual", every night that wasn't formal was listed as "Casual".
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:26 PM
First Mate

You are flaunting the rules as they are written by the cruise line and not me.If you compare this to Applebees,you are way off base and I would like to hear from others as to this being on the par with a locol Applebees.would also suggest that you try holland in ordeer to cover all your comments.
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have no desire to try Holland for reasons other than dress codes or dining room experiences. As for the other lines, I stand by my opinion that the dining room food and experience was no better than Applebee's, and as I said, I prefer it that way because truly fine dining is not for my tastes. As long as I'm comparing restaurants, though, I have to say that the $9.99 steak dinner that I had at Sizzler's tonight put any steak dinner that I've had on a cruiseship to shame. I only wish that the ships would serve me steak that good!

I too would love to hear other people's opinions on the dining room food and experience as I'm sure they vary considerably.
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM
First Mate

you are what you are and that is what makes this an interesting site Keep eating at your fast food outlets and I hope you get your wonderful and inexpensive deal Still would like to hear others and actually away from Carnival for several reasons.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:43 PM
Passenger

I usually wear a suit on formal nights, but my last cruise on Holland America, I rented a tux and had it delivered to the ship. Didn't have to pack a suit and was dressed to kill on the formal nights. I plan on doing the same on my upcoming cruise on Serenade of the Seas.
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ray1264 is a "guest" with lots of opinions... he has a right to be wrong...

I just hope I am standing in line behind him when the Maitre'D denies him entrance to the dining room...

LL
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Familiar Face

Well I new on here but here is my take on jeans;

Well in my part of the country (Texas) jeans are a staple part of ones wardrobe. You can see well off Ranchers wear Jeans (Starched), Sport coat, western shirt and a bolo type tie, and boots to a fairly dress up affair. Just because jeans are are out of favor in some parts of the country, doesn't mean they are out of fashion where you live.

Now I understand if the rules says no jeans, then by God it's no jeans and no tolerance and that's good. One must "when in Rome do as the Romans", but dont look at those that wear jeans as being disrespectful to anyone.

When I cruised for the first time (Nov 2004) I had to purchace the nicer slacks, suits, ties etc, as I don't dress up and wear jeans almost totally for work and casual. I feel almost as out of place dressed up as prude on a nude beach.

We still enjoy cruising and We would every 6 weeks if the funds were there. So don't bereate me very hard for stating my opinion and thanks for reading my ramble.

Jim
60yo Texas Redneck
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Beginner

I started a thread the other day in which I discussed some of my disappointments about our recent cruise on the Sovereign. Although I am afraid I may be labeled a big complainer, this subject is one I did not touch on in my other post. I thought that the formal night we had on our trip was pretty impressive. As people began to congregate in the center of the ship to have portraits taken and they were all decked out in their finery, it was kind of exciting. I wore a dark suit with a white shirt and tie, but I did see a few men with tuxes on (I wish I owned one). Almost all of the women I saw wore nice dresses.

All the same, when we got to dinner, I admit I was a bit upset to see that many of the men there didn't really dress up at all. I don't in any way mean to pick on bikers, but I saw a few of them whose idea of formal night was to change into clean black jeans with a black shirt with buttons on it. I saw quite a few men wearing sportcoats with no tie. I guess I felt that if people didn't want to dress for formal night they should have eaten at the Windjammer for that meal. It would perhaps be different if the ship did not offer other options for dinner, but since they do I think I would prefer if they "enforced" formal night a bit more.
Old December 31st, 2005, 03:17 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mary09 Send a message via Yahoo to Mary09

Could you please tell me what the proper attire is for a man for the formal nights? Does he HAVE to wear a suit and tie? Can he just have a tie without a jacket?

Thanks
Jaycee

For a man on formal nights, usually they wear tuxedos, but if you don't want to get the fancy, he can just wear a nice suit with or with out a tie. And yes , he has to wear a suit w/ or w/o a tie if he wants to attend dinner. Otherwise, if he is just dressing up to take pictures around the cruise , he can wear what ever he pleases.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to parrotthead

I am new to this site and to cruising...( Just booked my first Cruise to Alaska on Senerade of the Seas...for this summer, RoyalCaribbean)and I clicked on this thread b/c I had the same question...( just how formal is formal, and is it 'required" or suggested) I am a bit put off at the mean comments...has anyone stoped to think that maybe (like me) the person that showed up in 'less than what you consider acceptable" ( or not what you'd wear) maybe saved a long time and scrimped to take this dream vacation, and maybe the 'dressy clothes' you consiser unacceptable is the best they own...they do not discount the price if you 'dine somewhere on formal nites' as suggested by some here. Please dont get me wrong...the broucher says no shorts or tanks and I understand...but being 'formal' is not something I am comfortable doing...and I dont have the means to 'get formal' for one nite...I spent most of my alloted $$ on the cruise...crusiing ( I thought ) was supposed to be a fun time...but it shouldnt bother the people at the next table if I am in Dockers or nice slacks instead of cocktail dress...we are there for dinner and a pleasent time , not a fasion show...right?
Sorry to go on and on ...JMO and maybe another perspective that may have beenoverlooked by some.
-Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been-
SERENADE of the SEAS -- 07-23-2006--ALASKA
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:05 AM
First Mate

Nice slacks will have no problem in the dining room on formal nites however for the men it should be a coat with tie but no tie will not be a problem.Only an opinion buy dockers are not much dressier than jeans.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

When people book a cruise, I would assume they realize that there is at least one formal night onboard. If they do not have the proper attire for this special night then I suggest they look elsewhere for their vacation. Formal night is a cruising tradition and I wish people would respect that and enjoy being and looking glamorous for a few hours out of a week - it is not gonna kill you to dress up for a change.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM
First Mate

Right on cruzbabe and there are numerous all inclusives arround who have no dress code written policy.My point is that the cruise has made the rules and in writing and we should attempt to follow or look for another type vacation or eat in the alternative restaurants that do not call for formal attire and I am in perfect agreement that you could make an effort to dress up for the extremely nice dinner and atmosphere.
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for the support big apple.