Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to parrotthead

No one implied that formal dress has actually caused any deaths...(give me a break). No it's not going to kill anyone to dress up. However, I can't get over the 'above everyone else' attuitude expressed by some on this board. Those who think if some one doesn't have the means to get fromal for one or two nights shouldn't be on a cruise...how very unenlighted of you. I certinly hope the people I meet on this trip are not represented by the elitist attuiteds displayed by some here.
And to turn it back around...it will not kill you to have someone who is not dressed to your standards in the same dinning room as you...

Happy Cruising.
-Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been-
SERENADE of the SEAS -- 07-23-2006--ALASKA
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you don't have the means to dress formally, then how can you afford the cruise? By formal, I don't mean tuxedo and ballgown (although that certainly is lovely) but just a suit for the gentleman and a cocktail dress for the lady (or a simple little black dress). I would imagine that everyone owns these items, or at least the people who would go on a cruise. I don't mean to sound elitist, I just like to preserve tradition. If you insist on not getting dressed up for just one or two evenings, then sail on Carnival which is a much more casual line where you would be much happier (plus the cost of the cruise is a lot less). It all comes down to respect for the "rules". No, it won't kill me to dine with others who are not dressed up, but it most certainly takes away from the whole atmosphere and experience of what is supposed to be a glamorous evening. That, to me, is one of the things that makes cruising so special and different from day-to-day life. Isn't that what cruising is all about?
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:07 AM
First Mate

Right on cruisebabe and you provide excellent alternatives to those who would prefer a total casual atmosphere.It is interesting that the cruise lines have opted to continue the formal nights and for those looking at other cruise lines the formal nights are the same number on all of them.As I mentioned before a survey was taken on another board and the vote was to continue the formal nights.Through the years we have seen a more casual dress code in both work and cruising and I am convinced that if the majority wants more casual the cruise lines will change their thinking and for now they have a written policy that they should enforce in a better manner.
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, in about one hour I will be leaving to fly to Ft. Lauderdale where I will board the beautiful Jewel of the Seas tomorrow. I am bringing my most dressy glittery full-length slinky gown and cannot wait to wear it and feel like all eyes are on me Makes me feel so good and a cruise is the only chance I get to feel like a movie star for a brief time.
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM
First Mate

Have a great cruise croozbabe and am sure all eyes will be on you and your new slinky dress.We just finished a 10 day cruise on Holland America Veendam and everyone looked great on formal nights.Cruising is the best type vacation and we have also been on numerous RCL ships and loved all of them.
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Cropozbabe...if you post some pictures of you in your knock out dress on this board when you return, then we can gurantee all eyes will be on you (VBG)..have a great cruise
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Passenger

Parrotthead
Please enjoy your cruise. I don't own a gown. On formal nights I wear a dressy pantsuit as do a lot of other women. For a long time I was afraid to cruise because of the formal night. Then I found out I would not have to wear a gown. Cruising is a wonderful way to vacation.
Jan
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotthead
No one implied that formal dress has actually caused any deaths...(give me a break). No it's not going to kill anyone to dress up. However, I can't get over the 'above everyone else' attuitude expressed by some on this board. Those who think if some one doesn't have the means to get fromal for one or two nights shouldn't be on a cruise...how very unenlighted of you. I certinly hope the people I meet on this trip are not represented by the elitist attuiteds displayed by some here.
And to turn it back around...it will not kill you to have someone who is not dressed to your standards in the same dinning room as you...

Happy Cruising.

Well said!
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Passenger

Banshee and pups95... Thank you. I was begining to think I had stumbled upon a site full of ( insert what ever word you'd like here)...or not so nice people. Yes, a pantsuit was what I had in mind... as someone now to this board..its nice to read a friendly. TYhank you for your kind words and encourgement! <<good thoughts your way>>
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

You know it doesn't bother me to dress up (or dress down for that matter), but I hate the thought of other cruisers analyzing what I'm wearing. We are going on our cruise in April to get away from our day to day lives for a week and to have as little stress as possible while doing so. Last thing I need is some pompous jerk giving me the evil eye because I didn't wear a tie to dinner. These are probably the same people who talk about people behind their back at work. If they have nothing better to do than to whine and complain about what someone else is wearing then you actually have to feel a little sorry for them. Probably lacking something else in their lives. I was actually planning on renting a tux from the ship (I read somewhere you can do this), but now I may go in shorts just out of spite
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM
First Mate

Please go in shorts because you will not be eating in main dining room that night.
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Such meaness... ..you are right banshee...you go for it...
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
Please go in shorts because you will not be eating in main dining room that night.

I know it bothers you, but I would be willing to bet I would be.
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:56 PM
First Mate

Wear your polka dot shorts and cut off tee shirt which should make it more appropriate and easier to slip into the dining room!
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee
Quote:
I know it bothers you, but I would be willing to bet I would be.
Based upon my prior observations you will definitely be allowed in wearing shorts. Also based upon my prior observations, your shorts will be an improvement over some people's choice of formalwear.
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Beginner

Hi there,
Just joined this board after reading this thread about dressing up or down when on vacation.
I was looking into a cruise for my little family and did notice there were some lines that "required formal night dress" and others that did not.
I asked my wife if she wants to get dressed up for formal night and she said if I book a trip that requires a fomal, I'll be going alone with the dog in a tux. I really hate to wear a suit, Don't need one for work, No dress code here. Weddings, Furnerals, Xmas and Newyears if we go out.
And I do find it strange that some here keep saying if you want to dress down go to an All Inclusive? I've been to 7 Sandels, and we dressed sporty for dinner, dress shorts, required button down shirts, dockers if you want. The main idea for a vacation is to spend your hard earned money and enjoy yourself. If that means being comfortable in a shirt and jacket,ok. If your idea of that is a Tux, knock yourself out.
One man's Dressed Up is another woman's idea of Dressed Down.
So who is anyone to judge what the other person is wearing to dinner.
Think I'll just order a bicardi and hit Grace Bay. 8)
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by photofpd
Hi there,
Just joined this board after reading this thread about dressing up or down when on vacation.
I was looking into a cruise for my little family and did notice there were some lines that "required formal night dress" and others that did not.
I asked my wife if she wants to get dressed up for formal night and she said if I book a trip that requires a fomal, I'll be going alone with the dog in a tux. I really hate to wear a suit, Don't need one for work, No dress code here. Weddings, Furnerals, Xmas and Newyears if we go out.
And I do find it strange that some here keep saying if you want to dress down go to an All Inclusive? I've been to 7 Sandels, and we dressed sporty for dinner, dress shorts, required button down shirts, dockers if you want. The main idea for a vacation is to spend your hard earned money and enjoy yourself. If that means being comfortable in a shirt and jacket,ok. If your idea of that is a Tux, knock yourself out.
One man's Dressed Up is another woman's idea of Dressed Down.
So who is anyone to judge what the other person is wearing to dinner.
Think I'll just order a bicardi and hit Grace Bay. 8)
Thank you. Some people just have an elitist/egotistical point of view that if you can't/won't dress up, you can't possibly be good enough to eat in the same dining room as them.
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to BEERBUCKETDAVE

I wear one of those t-shirts that look like a tux & a pair of black jeans.
Don't usually eat in the dining room though. I can cook a better steak on my Weber grill & the lobster here in New England is far superior to what they serve on the ship. I still like to get a little formal though
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Passenger

While some may cast what they hope the cruise industry will return to they'd better look closely at the attire of the passengers on their next cruise.

The past 6 cruises we've taken ranging from 5 to 7 nights all have reflected the trends to more casual attire.

One cruise line in particular has launched a Freestyle Dining program that allows cruisers to come and go without a table and time each night. All the industry is closely evaluating a resort casual approach versus formal night.

Forget when someone goes to the Carnival website and pastes the policy, what you will see are a growing number of men wearing just what you described in the dinning room on formal nights.

I sat in a ballroom in Ft. Lauderdale last December and listened to a NCL manager describe their newer ships and the dining choices, and the topic about formal dress brought a response that most of the premium dining choices on newer vessels will keep a dress code, but you can expect most lines to relax the current polices.

Currently the cruise industry is providing newer ships, and all are after the valuable dollar the vacationer brings. With that in mind, I've not seen any enforcement of attire on the Conquest, Elation, Ecstasy, Rhapsody, Splendour, Majesty and Celebration.

What I did see is men and women dressed in slacks and khakis for formal night, jeans on the other nights, and many tee shirts.

I personally have worn shorts to dinner while in port (Cozumel, three different ships) and on sail away evening from Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Calica (see gravel pit...)

You can bet that the fashion police on these boards try to change the real facts that the trend towards casual dress and relaxed attire is evident in shopping malls, church, movies, and local dining establishments. I didn't say I agree, I am just stating the facts.

Long-winded answer, but wear what you want, drink some wine, enjoy the music and dance with your wife after dinner. Then adjourn to the upper deck to enjoy a nice rum and Partagas cigar at sunset.

I've cruised 11 times since my first journey on the Carnival Mardi Gras, and never has someone’s attire changed or enhanced the quality of my entree...

Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride

Lee in Houston
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:08 PM
First Mate

It is interesting to note the ships you have mentioned where dressing down is the norm.With over 30 cruises to comment on it is my opinion that you will not find the casual attire on either Holland America or Celebrity like you will find on Carnival or NCL.Even on the more upscale you will find that country club casual is the normal dress and that is a coat in most people,s eye.This is why there are choices and many will still opt for the formal nites and the elegance ofa nice evening rather than jeans and shorts for dinner.
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Geez Apple, I am not defending any of the actions of people aboard any line. And I have seen the HAL crowd as well, and tuxedos at dinner for men are in the decline.

You spent much hot air attacking my opinion, and that was a waste of your time. We sail from Galveston due to the savings on airfare, schedules, kids, etc. If your money spent on other cruise lines makes for a step up in class in your mind, step up to the pay window.

All I have done is report on what I see. I don't equate class or prestige with how much I spent on a vacation for my family.

Drink Upstream From The Herd...

Lee
Old January 10th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Well said , Lee.
I have been very shocked and a bit put off by some of the "better-that-you" attuitudes and comments here. You and a few others put it in a nut shell pretty well. 8)
Happy Cruising and im sure a good time will be had by all, regardless of dress. ( well , most of us anyway) -Kandy
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:00 PM
First Mate

Just for your information go over to Celebrity board and look at the comments on just back from the century and you will see more of how most feel on this subject.
Old January 11th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Just for your information go over to Celebrity board and look at the comments on just back from the century and you will see more of how most feel on this subject.

Then what are you hanging around here for? Thre's a whole board for the likes of you!
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Passenger

I am not on a Celebrity Cruise...Im on Royal Caribbean. ( Maybe the same parent company...but question was posed for Royal Caribbean)
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

To you people who don't like/don't want to dress up on only 2 nights, what do you have against following the rules???? Why do you insist on doing what you feel like, regardless of the rules? This is such a selfish way of being. I still maintain that if you want to be that self-centered, then please avoid cruising where there ARE 2 formal nights. You know that going in, so please don't ignore it. Go somewhere that does not have these rules for goodness sake. It seems to me that you would be much happier if there was no dress code, right??? Is 2 nights out of 7 too much to ask for you to look nice for a change? And, BTW, a dressy pantsuit for a woman is fine if thats the way you want to go.
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
First Mate

Thank you croozbabe and well said.
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

It not a rule. It's suggested. Rules are enforced (or should be). And I still don't understand why you really care. Does it really matter that much to you what other people wear? What are you...in middle school? Play dress up if you want to...enjoy.
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Banshee, OK it is a suggestion and you should go along with it out of respect for the cruiseline and your fellow passengers. Yes, I am sorry, but it DOES matter to me what others wear when I am decked out in my finest and I see some slobs in their tee shirts and shorts. It shows that they are crude, selfish, and disrespectful people. I like being around people who have manners and respect for others and their surroundings. After all, I am in an elegantly decorated cruise ship listening to the beautiful sounds of the Rosario strings and people in shorts and tee shirts do not fit in that environment. You should be in a campground if thats the way you want to dress on formal evening. ...You did not answer my question about why you don't vacation somewhere that does not have a dress code; you would be so much happier there with others who share your feelings.
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I hate to tell you but reading these boards it's about a 50-50 split on whether or not people even enjoy the formal nights. Are you really that arrogant to think that people should change their vacation plans just because of one formal night? You're joking right?

Oh and by the way, I will dress up for formal night. It's not an issue with me. What bothers me, however, is that there are people like you who get their panties in a bunch over whether or not people dress to your standards. It's not just your vacation. Everyone on that ship is on vacation. The world does not revolve around you and it's probably about time you realize that.

This conversation is basically pointless because neither one of us is going to change our opinion. I would be willing to bet, however, that in the years to come you will see these dress "suggestions" become even more relaxed. I really do hope you enjoy your cruise(s). I wish nothing but the best to you. Just remember, as you search the dining room for someone to snicker at, someone is probably doing the same to you.