Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:54 AM
Jaycee

Default formal night attire

Hi All,

Could you please tell me what the proper attire is for a man for the formal nights? Does he HAVE to wear a suit and tie? Can he just have a tie without a jacket?

Thanks
Jaycee
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:26 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: formal night attire

Here is the answer to your question from the RCI website.

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

You can go to royalcaribbean.com, go to Customer Support, then FAQ, and get all kinds of information on this & every other subject.

We sailed on RCI last year and my husband wore sport shirt & kakis for Casual, shirt & dress pants for Smart Casual, and his suit for both formal nights (with a different shirt & tie the second night). My hubby is a contractor and doesn't have an extensive dressy wardrobe. He never felt underdressed though. Don't worry too much about it, you will see people who don't strictly adhere to the guidelines. Just have a wonderful time.

I hope this helps.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:24 AM
straycat

We were tablemates with some bikers on one cruise (Monarch - Jan 05). We dressed up for formal night and they wore fancy jeans (the man had a new jean shirt with Harley logo and a tie!). They weren't kicked out, and no one stared at them. Most men wear suits or even tuxes, but not all. Just try to look decent. It is what it is, don't let it stress you out. Have fun!
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:57 AM
DanP

I am not a suit and tie man so on formal nights[we have been on 27 cruises]I wear a jacket no tie.After all I am on VACATION.
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Passenger

So if someone says I'M ON VACATION - they can dine on Formal Night in their Speedo and Thong. Grow up - and dress as they suggest you do. Being on vacation does not mean you can do anything you want - anywhere you want. If you want to do your own thing on Vacation, they go to a nudest colony or a private island. JMO
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Yeoman

If you go to a resaurant that says Coat and Tie required, even if you are on vacation, they will not let you in without a coat and tie. Really, if coat and tie is required, why would you think that it is okay to dress otherwise just because you are on vacation. No matter where you are, you should follow the guidlines of vacation. If you want to dress like you are at a resort every day, then go to the causal restaurants, and skip the dining room on formal nights. Seriously, do the rules not apply to you?
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Straycat, When you said no one stared at them, did that include you. I have yet to figure out when someone dresses beneath expections of posters on this board, why it ruins their night. I am booked on my 11th cruise have never had a problem, have always dressed "decent", and if my DH doesn;t want to wear a jacket, I do not see how that ruins anyones night. I think some of the posters on this board need to grow up and not flame anyone who asks a simple question. This question has been asked and answered so many times. I say use your best judgement you are on vacation. Why doesn;t everyone with a bad attitude think about the people in New Orleans and Mississippi who won;t be having a vacation any time soon.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:21 PM
CAcruiser

On our first cruise, my husband and sons wore suits for formal night, but the jackets just ended up just hanging on the back of the chair because the dining room was so hot. Since then, they don't even bother to pack the jackets. Saves alot of space in the suitcases for something that isn't going to be worn anyway.

You'll find that the formal night dress varies quite a bit with people wearing anything from dressy casual to Sunday best to dressed-to-the-nines. As long as you make an attempt to look nice, you'll be fine.
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Beginner

If your husband or mate does not like ties, then thats fine, go with dress pants a formal dress shirt, and a jacket. I would never reccomend going to a formal dinner without jacket, tie is fine, but always wear a jacket!

Best of Luck

Old August 31st, 2005, 09:00 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: formal night attire

Sunbird andFitzla ,Both of you are right on and more should listen to your excellent observations.
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:22 PM
Yeoman

Thanks big apple. I am not one for dressing up very often, but if I don't feel like dressing up, I will go for a more casual dinner. I always bring a nice suit or tux on a cruise, because I think it is fun to put on your best and show off for a night. That is part of the fun of cruising for MANY people, and why should we ruin it for them. Some ask why it would bother me how someone else dresses. It doesn't bother me, it just detracts from the atmosphere of the evening.

Carnival Liberty
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:53 PM
Admiral

I agree with sunbird and fitzla also. You might be on vacation but even at all inclusive resorts, if the dining room requires a particular type of attire, you must oblige or you don't eat there. When we cruised with our 3 sons, they wore a suit without complaints. They looked very handsome and even the Captain commented how nice they looked, especially the then 5 y/o! He was cute!! The men at our dinner tables on our last few cruises leave their jackets on and never complain.

(Not to be confused with CAcruiser above...I am the original one!! )

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:06 AM
Passenger

Thanks..... If I am going to Church - I dress for Church, if I am going to a fancy eating place, I dress accordingly.

As far as the poor people in N.O., and the Gulf Coast - I have already written two checks - one to a major relief organization and one direct to a family who lost everything, so don't question what I do. One has nothing to do with the other.
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Always so many wise words from you my Jewel!
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:27 AM
Passenger

Thank you Roland. See you in 10 1/2 months.
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe a man can explain it to me: What's the big deal about wearing a jacekt & tie? OK I know the tie can feel constraining. Try pantyhose & high heels. If you are hot, take the jacket off & drape it over your chair or better yet, give it to me b/c I'm always freezing. :-D

The tie with no jacket looks ridiculous on any male over the age of 13-14. Now a jacket without a tie looks sporty & casual.

To the OP, yes he can wear a shirt & tie w/o a jacket & still eat in the dining room on formal night but please don't think that outfit is formal.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Passenger

No one should feel obligated to wear a suit or even tuxedo to dinner. This is why they invented the Wind Jammer Cafe.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, people should feel obligated to dress up for the formal evening.. It's the classie thing to do.. It's the correct thing to do.. OM
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Passenger

The compass does state "suggested attire" We enjoy eating dinner in the dining room. On the past 5 Royal C. cruises we have been on and we were always at large tables no one wore formal attire. So we always felt comfortable.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
robertss

IMHO, formal night is a way to spice up your life aboard ship. Some people enjoy dressing up and this give them a wonderful chance to do so. If you don't want to go all out then less formal but still nice is fine. Faded jeans and a T shirt would spoil the "atmosphere" that is intended by this special event. If you don't want to play dress up then go to the other dining areas.

My wife and I are looking forward to that part of the cruise. Where we live has very few places you can dress up in formal attire so this is a special treat and we are going all out. I am renting a Tux on board (don't want to carry one there and back) and the wife is wearing a new dress that she got cheap (consignment shop). It will be fun to play like we are rich for a few hours and who knows what effect that may have on the old libido?
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:19 AM
ray1264

I'm the guy that you see wearing jeans with loafers and a nice dress shirt at the formal dinners. I'm on vacation so I wear what's comfortable to me. I have also usually paid more than you for the cruise, alot more.

I was on a cruise last year and someone showed up at our table on formal nite wearing shorts amd a t-shirt (I kid you not), I know your not going to believe me but my food tasted the same as before he sat down!

Come to find out they had lost his luggage and he was making the best of things. He didnt have to tell us that though, we welcomed him and even shared our wine with him BEFORE he told us.

Usually the people that complain the loudest about "formal" nite are away from their trailer park for a week or so and think everyone should wear rented clothes like them .

Get over yourselfs, I have.
Old September 4th, 2005, 07:33 PM
hcat

no need to be so mean--
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: formal night attire

What does how much a person pays for a cruise have to do with whether it is proper to wear jeans on formal night or not? I think it is sad that a person thinks it is fine for him to dress down because he booked a suite.
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM
hcat

interesting that RCCL brochure says "suggested"--on celeb the daily brochure it says REQUIRED......other than folks with lost luggage, I really think everyone should try to follow the dress code--does not have to be a tux or gown but just to make everyone feel festive! If not in the mood you can do room service or casual dining option....
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: formal night attire

Ray, I agree with you 100%. As far as my comment on NO and Mississippi, I consider myself very fortunate not to have lost my home or job. Oh yeah I too wrote a couple of checks, as if that makes anyone special. What I find is that in this time of trajedy for our country, that people cannot stop themselves from jumping all over others because of a simple question about a jacket. Life is very short live it the way you want to and don;t flame others for the way they live their lives, or whether or not they wear a tie. this all seems so silly to me now. If the events of the past week have not changed everyone in some way, there is something wrong. My heart is breaking at the images I see on TV and God forbid anyone ruins your cruise experience. Give me a break.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Admiral

I have also heard from others who have cruised both lines that on RCCL it is suggested but on Celebrity it is REQUIRED and you WILL be turned away on Celebrity as that is a more upscale cruiseline.

I also have heard that Oceania where the cruises START at like $4000 a person that they have "resort casual" every night and no formal night-resort casual is a notch above "casual" so no jeans and from what I understand even khakis are discouraged. I guess that one snobby person who posted here he would wear jeans with a dressy shirt and he could because he could afford an expensive suite would not be so welcome on Celebrity or Oceania.

I have noticed the general dressing down the last few yrs. on both Carnival and RCCL. I even noticed it on my one Princess cruise but I guess it is the way the world is going.

I still like formal night. I am beginning to believe maybe the lines should make formal night optionial and if you want to perticipate you would be assigned a certain restuarant and show for that night or possibly let formal night be in Chops or Portifinos with some type of entertainment included. then maybe everyone could be happy.

I agree too with "its my vacation " attitude. Yes if you are at Disneyworld you don't dress. No need to dress at Mac Donalds, Subway, Cracker Barrel etc.- the usual vacation spots meal places. But as you said if we go to an UPSCALE resturant and get the quality of food we eat in the cruiseship dinningrooms we then dress whether it is vacation or not. I know we vacationed on Tybee Island near Savannah, GA a couple of yrs. ago. We went into Savannah to eat at the Pink House one night and there we did "dress" for dinner as it was required. The food and atmosphere there was so nice-I sure did not mind-and it was enjoyable to see others dressed nice also.
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM
hcat

Great idea for a formal night affair--maybe in the main dining room late setaing & everyone else could go early in whatever they want! these boards do lead some good idea!
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
First Mate

hcat

theres an idea I can live with.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Yeoman

To ray1264 : Good for you....You spend more than everyone else on the ship. So that automatically gives you the right to wear jeans. It is the cruise ship that asks people to dress accordingly, not us. I am one for wearing jeans everyday if I can, but why spoil the theme of the night. If I don't feel like dressing up, I will do somewhere else for dinner. But when on a cruise, I enjoy dressing up. And no, I am not from a trailer park (not that there is anything wrong with that as you seem to think) and I probably spend more money on vacations than you every year, if thats the game you want to play. At 34 years old, I am able to vacation whenever I want. And just because I spend a lot of money, doesn't give me the right to bash everyone else and throw out this holier than thou attitude you seem to have. I would like to see you some to L.A. and try to go to a jacket required restaurant here with your little biker outfit, and see what happens.

Carnival Liberty
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:55 PM
big apple

Right on Fitzla.Could not have been said any better.Your remarks are right on.