Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Gary Friermood

Default Jewel Of The Seas

Anyone going on the Jewel Nov. 13th? What can you tell us about the ship?? We have been on the Mariner and Navigator BIG SHIPS.!!!! Not crowded at all. Thanks for all input Gary & Kathy.............
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to JLO1578
Default Jewel Of the Seas

I will be sailing on the Jewel in January and would also really liek to hear what people have to say about her.
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Passenger

Jewel of the Seas is my favorite ship. We love her. And we have been on Mariner - Brilliance - Serenade - and quite a few of the older ships. I love all the glass on the Radiance Class of ships. You feel like you are always connected with the sea. She is a very special ship. We took her Trans Atlantic in Sept. 2004 and are booked on her again for a Baltic Cruise - July, 2006.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Admiral

I, too, love Jewel of the Seas. IMHO, it is the perfect size ship. The decor is lovely. I've done Voyager of the Seas also. The two ships have a very different "feel". I love both of them for different reasons. I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful time 8)
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Beginner

We sailed on the Jewel out of Boston late October-early November of last year. It was a repo to the Caribbean. At that time the ship was still so new it even smelled new. We had a balcony, mid-ship, port side. We loved it. I can honestly say that it was and still is the most beautiful ship we've ever sailed on. Everywhere you look in the public areas and even on the glass elevators, you are surrounded by the sea. Its grand stair case and all that whole public area is absolutely breathtaking. We especially enjoyed the pool tables that stayed in position and didn't move, even when we hit rough seas. It was amazing. I'm sure you are really going to enjoy your cruise. 8)
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian35
We sailed on the Jewel out of Boston late October-early November of last year. We had a balcony, mid-ship, port side. We loved it. I can honestly say that it was and still is the most beautiful ship we've ever sailed on. was amazing. I'm sure you are really going to enjoy your cruise. 8)
She´s still the "most beautiful".
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Can you compare Jewel & Brilliance--we tried Brilliance & although found it to be very beautiful with good to excellent food we found that supervision of children by parents & cruise personnel left much to be desired. Alot had to do with taking the trip at a school break week but just wondering in what way you found Jewel to be the best....
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Passenger

Can't comment on the Children's programs. But I am sure that Spring Break would be a hard one to compare. So many children. I have heard people who had taken their children say that "normally" they have a very good program, and no problems.

So my comments on Jewel being my favorite was based on all the other beautiful things about her. Can't wait for next summer.
Old September 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Jewel Of The Seas

We are getting ready to go. It's been 7 years since we've been on Royal Caribbean. We've been spoiled w/ the ways of Princess, but we wanted a change.

Some of our favorite things on Princess are the complimentary robes and egg crate mattress topper they provide, if you ask. Can we get these items on RCL?

Is room service better on RCL?

Thanks for your help!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to queenkarp

I am booked on the 6-night western Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale on December 11th. Does anyone know what the dress code is for this 6 night cruise (i.e., number of formal nights, etc.)? Thanks
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:40 PM
Yeoman

Default Jewel of the Seas

We are also booked on Jewel for Dec. 11th. We booked it nine months ago and it's finally here. Would also like to know if there are one or two formal nights (it's a six day cruise). Nine days, I'm starting to hyperventilate. Go to Cruiseclues and scroll down to G.Wall; he has the best pictures of the ship I've ever seen. Also look at fotkibobbi, she has over 800 pictures!

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:53 PM
Passenger

Default Dress code for Jewel of the Seas

Betty:

After some more research, I found the following on RCCL's website:

Dress Suggestion:

During the day, casual clothes are fine for the main dining room. In the evening, there are three distinct types of dress onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are not permitted at dinner. Each ship also offers a variety of casual dining options, for example, the Windjammer Café.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
Yeoman

QueenKarp, thanks for the info. What deck are you on? We are on nine. According to RC not many cabins left. A storm is coming Tuesday (here in New England, that is). I guess it is our turn. As long as it is clear Saturday; if we cruise after October we always go down a day early.

Betty

Old January 12th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Passenger

how did you like the Jewel - we are going in March? any info w/should know??
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Passenger

This was my 18th cruise, my 3rd with RCCL. By far, it was the nicest cruise experience I had in a while. The service was great, the food was exceptional. The buffet on the Lido deck is designed in circular stations (hot foods, pasta, dessert, bread, salad, etc.) so there was never any long wait at the buffet. Also, the buffet offered almost the exact menu as the dining room. So, if you weren't in the mood to dress up, you could go there and have a sumptuous meal in shorts and a tee-shirt. I wasn't overly impressed with the shows in the theatre. I'm really not a huge Las Vegas revue fan. Would have preferred a comic and some kareoke for some humor. However, the entertainment in the lounges and at the pool were above average for a cruise. Combine that with the fact that I hit a slot jackpot on the third night, got some fabulous bargains in Cozumel (which is still a bit depressed after Wilma), and the ship has the best stabilizers at sea (I met the engineer on board) and it was a great trip all around. My only complaint was that it was only 6 nights. Have a blast. Enjoy every minute.
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Beginner

did you like the cruise director? we're going March 25 and wondered if he would still be there.
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Glad you all had great trip .I am thinking of booking a trip on Jewel in April 06 I was thinking of easter week but have a feeling there might be alot of kids . Weere in our 30's no kids yet
what kind of food ??? I can be alittle picky I like fresh food not into frozen stuff .I love sushi Do they serve any kind of raw fish (sushi)aboard?
I am also thinking of Celebrity Millennium since they have sushi bar every night . However they sail to DR with was a waste on our last cruise with Carnival .I did like the food on carnivall . This will be our second cruise and want to have better time then last cruise. any suggestion . we now live in fla so we have alot of option .

Thanks in advance

PS I have seen the Jewel at sea when I am working on my charter boat in NY she looks soooooo pretty but throw big wake
Old January 22nd, 2006, 01:18 AM
Yeoman

I should have posted here earlier. We sailed Jewel on 12/11, a six day cruise. The Jewel is the most beautiful ship afloat, bar none. This was our 18th cruise and it was great. The cruise director's name is Simeon and he is excellent. Loved playing quest; if anyone has played on other RCCL ships, then you know what I'm talking about. What a hoot! Food was just o.k. They are definately cutting back on entrees and desserts, but there is still plenty to choose from in the Windjammer. Our cabin was deck 9 and it was very roomy cat. D1.

Betty

Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Beginner

Cruiseforever

Since you just got back from cruise on Jewel .
I was reading they serve sushi aboard is this true ? If so please report
Old January 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Passenger

We were on the Dec 11 cruise, also. They do serve sushi in the Windjammer -- late afternoon / evening only that I saw. I agree with the food assessment. RCI quality and variety has definitely deteriorated over the 10+ years we have cruised with them. A couple diners in our group ordered ice cream every night as a backup to their dessert. The ship itself is terrific: beautiful, well maintained, terrific layout, nice cabins, etc. I just think RCI is cutting corners to keep cost (and profits) where they want them. I thought the entertainment (shows/pool/bars) was the best we have seen on a cruise ship. Have fun.
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Beginner

We were on the Jewel December 11th and had a wonderful time, don't get me wrong she is a beautiful ship and had great shows and so forth but, I still liked the Mariner better. I surprised myself, sort of strange. I guess we all just liked the feel of the promanade, more open, kind of like you are outside. The Jewel reminded me of Disney which of course was extremely nice but not as open and big. The Mariner in my opinion was decorated for Christmas much more than the Jewel. I like them all but you have to have a favorite! Have fun, she is a beutiful ship..........