Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Default Sharks

Just curious....I never see anyone ever, saying they have sighted a shark while on a cruise.......so my question is has anyone ever seen a shark while sailing? If so, which ship and what location?

Thanks, and happy sailing all.
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Passenger

Everyone is looking but not answering your question. Been on over 20 cruises and NEVER have seen a shark. Seen whales and dolphins, flying fish, etc. But the only sharks have been in aquariums on shore.
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Admiral

If you are talking about seeing a shark from the ship, that would not be likely. I have seen sharks in the water while snorkeling. More often than not very docile nurse shark or other species that would not bother a group in the water.
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbird925
Everyone is looking but not answering your question. Been on over 20 cruises and NEVER have seen a shark. Seen whales and dolphins, flying fish, etc. But the only sharks have been in aquariums on shore.

Thanks for answering.....I'm not implying anything.....I was just curious....we went on our cruise last year and didn't see any sharks (a good thing), but I'm always surprised how large the ocean is and yet very few are privy to seeing this majestically, beautiful creatures.

Happy sailing........we head out again Nov. 4, 2005 VOS!
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBill
If you are talking about seeing a shark from the ship, that would not be likely. I have seen sharks in the water while snorkeling. More often than not very docile nurse shark or other species that would not bother a group in the water.
Thanks Papa for answering......
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Yeoman

Growing up I never wouldve wanted to cruise due to my fear of drowning and sharks (and I was a swimmer). I never went into a body of any water alone, or first due to my fears. Believe it or not, I eventually got into scuba diving and became and instructor. It opened my eyes to the world below and it is so amazing. I was diving at night, deep, and on wrecks and all my fears quickly vanished. Ive never had another nightmare regarding the water since.

Above water, many people have no idea what lies below. Visiting an aquarium is only a small chunk of what all is under there. I always tell people its like an underwater garden-the fish are the birds, coral the flowers, and all the miniscule creatures are the bugs. So many varieties and colors-its incredible! And then to think about the big creatures-some as big as football fields swimming below your ship. WOW!

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Wonderful description Alison. I also feel that way.

Several years ago we went to Sting Ray City, Grand Cayman. Some people were really scared of the Rays. The first time one of them brushed against me, I jumped (did not see it coming), but then it was wonderful to touch and feed them. My son swam with Manatees in Florida some years ago and he said it was magical. They came right up and looked in his face from just inches away.

If it is something to do with ships and water, I'm game to try......
Old September 21st, 2005, 02:45 AM
Passenger

fins to the right.....fins to the left.....and your the only bait in town.

Sorry had a Jimmy Buffet Moment.
Haven't seen them on the cruise, but from the pier at Folly Beach , SC have seen fishermen catching them with oblivious swimmers near by

Makes me think twice.
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:02 AM
Passenger

That's O.K., I'm a Jimmy Buffett fan also. Sing away.....
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:14 PM
First Mate

The only time we have seen sharks is when we PURPOSELY went on an excursion to Shark/Ray Alley in Belize. The sharks that are there are nurse sharks. They are NOT the biting type of sharks, but rather are like vacuum cleaners. They suck the conchs from their shells. They left very quickly after we got into the water.

Oh, I just remembered. In Curacao we did SCUBA dive in an enclosed area that had sharks caged behind some very strong chain-link fencing. We got to stick food through little holes for them to eat. VERY safe.

Do not worry. You will be fine.

Signed,
Someone who did not get into the water for quite a while after seeing JAWS.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffie
The only time we have seen sharks is when we PURPOSELY went on an excursion to Shark/Ray Alley in Belize. The sharks that are there are nurse sharks. They are NOT the biting type of sharks, but rather are like vacuum cleaners. They suck the conchs from their shells. They left very quickly after we got into the water.

Oh, I just remembered. In Curacao we did SCUBA dive in an enclosed area that had sharks caged behind some very strong chain-link fencing. We got to stick food through little holes for them to eat. VERY safe.

Do not worry. You will be fine.

Signed,
Someone who did not get into the water for quite a while after seeing JAWS.

"Oh, I just remembered. In Curacao we did SCUBA dive in an enclosed area that had sharks caged behind some very strong chain-link fencing. We got to stick food through little holes for them to eat. VERY safe".

Now that sounds like fun! I actually am an avid admirer of sharks, especially Great Whites......not though necessarily want to see them up close and personal.........but I most definitely admire their strength, speed, and the mysticism that surrounds them.

Thanks for sharing all...........enjoy your next sailing!

VOS Nov. 4, 2005........can't come quick enough!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
Yeoman

Great Whites are awesome. I was lucky enough to do an expedition out of South Australia with Rodney Fox, his son Andrew, Carl Rossler, and others on board the Falie about 10 yrs ago (wow times flies). Talk about incredible. We first dove with the sea lions before chumming. They were dodging all around us, and on my video you can hear me scream when one popped out of the murky water towards me. I was already on edge knowing that a Great White could be lurking around us. We chummed for several days with no luck (it was a 10 day trip). To pass the time, we explored some of the remote islands which were covered with sea lions, their pups, and birds. We got very close to the sea lions, and even closer to their pups when the parents went to hunt. I got some great video and photos. We made a few test runs of jumping into the cages (if you ever do go, be sure to be either first or second into the cage as it can get tricky and scary with a shark circling the cage!). We dropped to the bottom of the ocean loaded with bait fish, and chum above us. I just love swimming in that stuff! The smell topside isnt too pleasant either. We would look out into the murky water just waiting for a shark, but all we got were rays and fish. A couple guys were brave (stupid) enough to venture out of the cage over to some rocks. Youre so weighed down to keep from being slammed in the cage that walking on the bottom is like watching a hard helmet diver. After several days, we finally attracted a 19-20 ft female Great White. Imagine how excited we were. We took turns dropping down into the cages until dark. It was so awesome. There are no words to describe looking into those emtpy, black bottomless pit eyes of a Great White. At first we all huddled in the middle of the cage (4 of us), then slowly we worked our way to the sides being very careful not to stick anything outside the cage. It was sort of odd to be the caged "animal" in this case too. They are the perfect killing machines and yet so beautiful.

If you have the means, I highly recommend diving with the Great Whites. My ultimate dream is to do it in South Africa where theyre more photogenic so to speak (more plentiful).

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison1170
Great Whites are awesome. I was lucky enough to do an expedition out of South Australia with Rodney Fox, his son Andrew, Carl Rossler, and others on board the Falie about 10 yrs ago (wow times flies). Talk about incredible. We first dove with the sea lions before chumming. They were dodging all around us, and on my video you can hear me scream when one popped out of the murky water towards me. I was already on edge knowing that a Great White could be lurking around us. We chummed for several days with no luck (it was a 10 day trip). To pass the time, we explored some of the remote islands which were covered with sea lions, their pups, and birds. We got very close to the sea lions, and even closer to their pups when the parents went to hunt. I got some great video and photos. We made a few test runs of jumping into the cages (if you ever do go, be sure to be either first or second into the cage as it can get tricky and scary with a shark circling the cage!). We dropped to the bottom of the ocean loaded with bait fish, and chum above us. I just love swimming in that stuff! The smell topside isnt too pleasant either. We would look out into the murky water just waiting for a shark, but all we got were rays and fish. A couple guys were brave (stupid) enough to venture out of the cage over to some rocks. Youre so weighed down to keep from being slammed in the cage that walking on the bottom is like watching a hard helmet diver. After several days, we finally attracted a 19-20 ft female Great White. Imagine how excited we were. We took turns dropping down into the cages until dark. It was so awesome. There are no words to describe looking into those emtpy, black bottomless pit eyes of a Great White. At first we all huddled in the middle of the cage (4 of us), then slowly we worked our way to the sides being very careful not to stick anything outside the cage. It was sort of odd to be the caged "animal" in this case too. They are the perfect killing machines and yet so beautiful.

If you have the means, I highly recommend diving with the Great Whites. My ultimate dream is to do it in South Africa where theyre more photogenic so to speak (more plentiful).

alison
Alison thank you for sharing that, you've hit upon my dream trip! I will do this before the good Lord calls me home! I cannot wait.....I just find Great Whites so incredibly exciting!
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Passenger

I'm not an expert on sharks- but I swear we saw two while we were docked in Costa Maya. They were dark grey/black and were swimming around the shallower areas.
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Beginner

We have gone on three cruises and only saw the nursing sharks while we were in the submarine ride in Nasauu.
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Yeoman

When we were snorkeling in Freeport, the guy in charge of the excursion told us while we were out snorkeling in the water to stay in the back of the boat because he saw sharks in the front. UH!
Actually, I'm terrified of the ocean...not knowing what's out there. I'm afraid of coming across a shark. But I love snorkeling so much, it didn't faze me. I figured if they were dangerous sharks, he'd have us in the boat in no time. I would have been the first one in!!
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Passenger

Have to jump in. My husband SCUBA dived in Belize 2 yrs ago. On the way back the dive boat captain stopped so they could all watch a shark feeding freanzy. He said it was incredible -- the water foamed up, died down, and then foamed up again. They watched about 10 mins. No takes when the the captain asked if anyone wanted to dive!
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava

YES I have....The tourist trap on the beach in Hati. RCCL "private" island.