Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Default First time cruisers need some advice.

My wife and I were married in June and did not go on a honeymoon because her parents were visiting from China. She is Chinese and that relates to one question I have.

She is not a citizen or a green card holder. She has a student visa. What documentation does she need to go on a cruise? We are thinking about taking the Dec11 cruise on the Mariner of the Seas.

We have a couple of room choices to consider. Interior rooms are available only at the back of the ship...mostly on deck nine. There is one oceanview room on the front left corner just above the bow. I am not sure it's worth the extra $300. Any advice?

My wife gets motion sickness very easily so I am concerned about that with the front of the boat, however, this is such a large ship (even compared to other cruiseliners) I am not sure how much movement there will be.

I have a professional DSLR camera. Are there any concerns about bringing it on the cruise? It's rather expensive and I do have seperate insurance for it.

That about does it with questions for now.
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Hi clbell,

I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions, but I suggest that you go to a good Travel Agent. They would have answers (or would find out) about your DW's cruising on a Student Visa.

Also, sometimes TA's have cabins available that don't show up on the cruise line's websites, so you may have more choices.

If your DW is prone to motion sickness, a midship, lower deck cabin is the best spot to be . Be sure she takes some kind of motion sickness medication (Dramamine, Bonine), the patch, or the Sea Bands with her. She should talk to her doctor about which would be best for her.

As far as the camera, just keep it on your person or in your sight. Even though you have insurance, I'm sure you'd be upset if you lost it .

Hope you are able to cruise and have a great time!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks Fern. We've booked our cruise. We are excited! We opted for a port-side room with balcony.
Old September 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Yeoman

I was going to say the balcony is well worth the extra $$, especially if prone to seasickness. An interior wouldve been a bad choice since looking at the verizon helps with seasickness.

Cant help with the student visa thing. As for the camera-like it was mentioned, keep it with you, or you will have a small safe in your room to store a few things so it might fit in there.

We stayed on deck 10 I believe, balcony cabin on the Mariner last New Years. Be prepared for lots of kids, and lots of activities. You will have fun. Which trip are you doing? We did Eastern and it was a bit rougher than western due to more open seas. Be sure to get meds before setting sail. Sometimes they give it out for free in the dr office on board.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 17th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the reply. We are going on the eastern cruise on December 11 on the Mariner. I will try to get some medicine for sea sickness before we go. I might consider one of those wristbands since it might come in handy for my wife in the car sometimes.
Old September 17th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Hi clbell,

Glad you are booked. You'll love the balcony cabin . The only bad thing about booking a balcony is that you'll never want anything else .

Another suggestion about motion sickness is for your DW to keep something in her stomach until she gets used to the motion. I believe it's LisaK who suggests crackers and ginger ale.

Hope you'll post your pictures when you return,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014