Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Beginner

Default Dishonesty at Royal Caribbean

To our friends, shipmates and fellow survivors: Friday, September 23, 2005

We have had overwhelming Email response from our shipmates, none yet from Royal Caribbean. According to one of our shipmates, an attorney, we should get a response to our letter next week. Working together and sharing information we can and will make a difference, We will get the refunds we deserve. We can protect future travelers. We may even be able to help other travelers who may have mysteriously suffered this exact same “unforeseen circumstance”

We do know more than we did. We did not go to Nassau for repairs. That statement by the captain was simply untrue. People who specifically decided to watch repairs being made are certain that absolutely nothing was done to the ship in Nassau. The “temporary repairs” made in Key West were the only repairs made to this ship. If the ship left Ft. Lauderdale on time, it left port again with out being repaired. We really need to work together on this: Royal Caribbean is clearly working very hard to cover-up this one and with good reasons. Based on answers given to passengers who asked the obvious question “ Why does the ship shake so badly “ We think the crew, even the waiters, may have been coached in advance as to what to say and what not say when this ship goes into convulsions.

Because the owners of the ship neglected to maintain critical components and because they neglected to perform critical preventative maintenance, there was a huge thud in the middle of the first night at sea. It woke most of us from a sound sleep. The ship lost the use of one propeller and 50% of its power. Not only was the ship broken, so was our promised trip to Mexico.

Mechanical devices break for one of three reasons

1. They were not manufactured correctly in the first place [This ship first set sail 6/25/1990]. A manufacturing defect is not the reason things broke.

2. Something hits them. This ship was in deep calm water, no hint we hit Atlantis or anything else.

3. They were not properly maintained. Neglected maintenance is the reason and the only reason we never made Mexico. Had this ship been adequately maintained there never would have been what the company likes to call an “unforeseen circumstance”

After divers in Key West examined the damage and captain, John Harestad, acknowledged that the problem was “bolts that had come loose and or had bent”. If you forget to tighten bolts you are negligent. What happens next is not an “unforeseen circumstance or an unforeseen event ”. If you neglect to tighten bolts on your ship it is no different than failing to tighten the bolts that hold on the wheels of your car. You do not need to be a mechanic or a genius to foresee big bad consequences.

The reason we were all told that this was an “unforeseen circumstance” or an “unforeseen event” at least sixteen times is that these are the specific words used in the fine print of the contract as an excuse. RoyalCaribbean was negligent! Just how negligent is something we are still working on.

“Temporary repairs” were made in Key West. We were told the ship would be fixed at our next stop, Nassau, and that the Mexico trip was off. We were told about four or five more times that they were sorry but this [failure to maintain their ship] was an unforeseen event and that they were not responsible [for their negligence] but as a gesture of goodwill they had give passengers a $150 onboard credit.

By the time we reached Nassau it was already clear, at least to me, that instead of accepting responsibility, the management of RoyalCaribbean had already chosen to be irresponsible.

The first line of defense was the “Guest Services Desk” The lines were long but their response was short.

1. They were sorry but this [failure to maintain their ship] was an unforeseen even,
2. The management reserved the right to change the itinerary and they were not required to refund anything. [$150 was more than generous.]

Passengers who demanded it were allowed to turn their onboard credit into cash. Passengers who were still dissatisfied were sent to even longer lines where representatives of the home office Sara Hecker and/or Amelia Gomez (Supervisors, Corporate Guest Relations) were available.

These young women took down the name and cabin number and they somewhat listened to the story. [They did not write down the story] They had two answers.

· We were told once again that management was sorry but this was an “unforeseen circumstance” and that maintaining the ship was somehow something out of their control. Amelia Gomez suggested she had legal training and that all of this was very clear in the contract.

· Management was sorry but according to the contract they were not required to really do much of anything. The company, under the terms of the contract, was clearly allowed to promise a trip to Mexico, collect your money for that trip but change the itinerary to a much cheaper trip and not owe us a dime. “We should be thankful for the onboard credit”.

· My wife felt these women were not very sympathetic, even a bit rude. So did some other guests.

Special note to the Executive Officers and to the Board of Directors of Royal Caribbean and Counsel,

At least one of the guests who got this message from your corporate representatives was a lawyer who had read the contract. He suggested to me that the corporate position that the company is not responsible for maintenance is a significant stretch, very difficult to sell to a court. He also didn’t think the courts will allow you to charge people for a trip to Mexico and then take them to a much cheaper destination and NOT refund the difference.

Another very very unhappy guest just happens to be a judge. I suggest only that this judge felt your position was both inappropriate and inadequate. I recommend you use caution when suggesting you are not responsible for maintenance, or can charge customers for an expensive trip and then deliver a much cheaper trip without consequences. My guess is that you may not be told that you are responding to a judge.

When we left the interview my wife had tears in here eyes. She was far from the only person devastated that the company so clearly intended to do little or nothing. I was so astounded that Royal Caribbean really seemed so intent on cheating its guests that it was several minutes before I gathered my wits and started taking down names and Email addresses.

There are numerous really tragic stories. A daughter that missed her fathers 80th birthday party and reunion in Mexico. A grandmother who had over a period of years saved enough out of a Social Security disability pension to take her granddaughter scuba diving in Mexico. There are a lot of stories. I think some of the stories, well told, might attract mainstream media. These are wonderful individuals, some devastated by an easily avoidable maintenance problem.

Other Related Interesting Information

I am in correspondence with people who seem to have credible information that the ships owners have known about propeller and shaft problems since the ship was refurbished. There may be credible evidence the propeller shaft itself is bent. They believe the owners know it is bent and that future problems are inevitable. They feel management is unwilling to take the ship out of service, because they don’t want to loose the revenue or pay the costs necessary to make real repairs. This way they can repair their ship on our time and at our expense. I have been told the diver who examined the damage said this was broken before it left Ft. Lauderdale and should have been repaired there.

Another gentleman who says there were early warnings of serious hydraulic problems that may or not be related to a bent shaft approached me.

So far I can find no one that observed any repairs being made in Nassau. Have any of you?

EVERY ONE OF US FELT THE SHIP SHUTTER FOR A FULL TWO MINUTES DURING THE FIRST SEATING. (THIS WAS A BIG DEAL SHAKE THAT RATTLED THE WINDOWS AND DISHES. SO LOUD WE COULD NOT BE HEARD ABOVE THE DIN. ) The water was calm. The shuttering stopped only after the ship was slowed down considerably. This was the second time the ship shuttered. Please note this happened after the ship was supposedly fixed at Nassau.

As far as I know the Empress of the Sea is already back at sea. Again, it carries the hopes and dreams of another 1600 guests and the promise of exotic destinations . All of us know or at least suspect this is a promise that is very likely to be broken again. In my opinion, this ship is not fixed.

I am a spokesperson. I am one of those [ not the only one ] that took the time to take down names and email addresses I feel comfortable to say of the following on behalf of all 1,600 passengers.

All of the passengers paid to go to Mexico. None of us chose your cheaper trip to Nassau. It is your fault, not ours that we didn’t make it to Mexico. Maintenance really is your responsibility. You should fix your ship on your time and at your expense, not on our time and at our expense.

THEREFORE WE SUGGEST

In addition to your onboard credit you owe each of us, every single passenger all 1,600 of us the difference in fare between a Mexico and a Nassau cruise. None of us should get less than $400 per person, those in upgraded cabins or suites should get no less than $500 per person

All of the guests that took the time to complain should, at a minimum, be offered their choice of a free 5 day cruise to Mexico or a 100% refund.

If this ship is broken or in need of repair, please fix it immediately and adequately. If it isn’t broken we, the traveling public and their agents deserve a real explanation of why it did brake down, why it sometimes shakes so badly and why it can’t seem to sustain its cruise speed.

There are at instances where I think you would be wise to give 100% refunds and an upgraded trip to Mexico

THESE ARE THE REASONS I FEEL YOU SHOULD CONSIDER OUR SUGGESTIONS

1. You promised us a trip to Mexico. You need to deliver on that promise
2. It is the right thing to do.
3. Please read the attached “Anchored in Excellence” It comes from you. It is yours.
4. It will probably save you money. [ Breaking promises to your customers can get very expensive very quickly ] Specifically:

a. If the courts decide negligence isn’t unavoidable. They often do that.
b. When travel agents become even slightly concerned and feel obliged to warn customers that you might not be completely trustworthy.
c. If the media even hints you have a credibility problem or mistreated your passengers or are running a ship that is less than seaworthy.
d. When your repeat customers start using other cruise lines.

5. Convincing the world that you are somehow not responsible for maintaining your own ships is going to be a very tough sell.

6. Your suggestion that, “an unexpected event” is the term we should all be using to describe the results of “negligent maintenance” will not be widely accepted.
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Well.. Good Luck!! Truly is unfortunate that there was a mechanical breakdown that affected the cruise and itinerary, and I really do hope you get some sort of satisfactory compensation.

The only HOWEVER... mechanical things do break down, sometimes regardless of how well maintained they are. And it will take alot more than he said, she heard, I was told, and threats to go to the media, to prove negligence.

Honestly it's not something that hasn't happened, and that they haven't heard before. Personally I think you'd all be much better off going through your travel agents and addressing your complaints individually through channels at Royal Caribbean.

Look for reasonable compensation. I'd say expecting a 100% refund or a free cruise isn't likely going to get you very far... but as I sad.. good luck!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 25th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Beginner

I will start by conceding to the fact that I did not read all of the above hot air. I would love to be “bigdog1” who appears to be perfect. A person who has never had a problem with there car. You know that perfect maintenance record. Why is it that every time something goes slightly wrong, that 3 letter word pops up, SUE”.

On one trip the airline kept my luggage for the week, we got over it and had a great time. Yes we got a small amount of compensation but we did not sue the airline.

I am proud to be Canadian!
Old September 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Hello...I must totally agree with the steps you are taking. Of the 15 cruises we have been on, 11 have been with RCCL and our 12th is coming up in December. I must also agree that in many cases, it appears that RCCL is cutting corners in many areas, and we are very open minded about things.

I wish you the best, and just like it appears that RCCL tried to cover up that missing honeymoon groom a couple of months ago by washing off the blood stains from one of the decks below, misleading people about the safety of the ship does not sound out of the realm of possibility.

***Edited by staff to remove url address***

[/b]
Old September 25th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Kuki:

I would have to agree with your approach. I had a surprising experience on RCCL on one out of 3 trips. After writing a letter on behalf of my extended family of 15, explaining our position (in a non-threatening manner), I received a phone call the next day and more than fair resolution within a week. They have been continually supportive in working with all of us - insuring that we understand how to apply our vouchers and they have been nothing short of excellent in their overall response to our complaint.

I recommend that you try the "more flies with honey" approach and seek an individual and equitable agreement with RCCL about your concerns vs. trying to gang up and "demanding" group resolution. Once you go to the extent of bashing RCCL on the internet (or other media) as you have done here, what incentive do they have to work with you?? You may have lost the "leverage" that you might have had if you had first tried approaching them individually and in a non-threatening manner.

From my perspective, RCCL "did us right" with their response to my concerns. I would definitely cruise with them again and appreciate that they took my concerns seriously, resolving them so quickly and fairly.

Laura
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default The Smokers

Rule #1 about smokers - DO NOT BE AFRAID to speak up!

If that guy next to you didn't listen to Royal, you should have gone over, banged on the door & explained to him about the smoke coming into your room. Most (not all) people would have probably smoked elsewhere.

I'm guessing you didn't have a balcony room?

Unfortunately, problems do arise on the ship. The prop bit was a shame. However, if you call Royal when you got home & explained the situation, they may have done something for you. BUT BE NICE!!

I work in Customer Service for a large Corporate 100 company & I can tell you this. The customers who are extremely nice - get what they want. You call up Royal all nasty & full of attitude, you are going to get nowhere except them probably making a note by your name that you are a nasty person. Screaming, Anger, posting to message boards, etc. will not do you any good except make you look bad.
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Default You must have a lot of time on your hands or work for RCI.

I noticed that you have replied to a lot of messages regarding RCI. Do you work for them? All I know is that Carnival as a second rate cruise line had more class denoting your response. It's not the money or a new cruise that I am seeking. I am seeking to tell the world what Royal Caribbeans operation standards are. They are deplorable. Living in Orlando one of the largest tourist destinations, we know hospitality and Royal Caribbean could take some major lessons from our standard of quality service.
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Beginner

Default Read More Complaints Here!!!

Go to http://royalcarribbeanproblems.blogspot.com/ to read more about this cituation.
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I went to the blog with the link your provided...
Quote:
To our friends, shipmates and fellow survivors
from the blog.

Survivors seems a bit over dramatic. It never sounded as though anyone claimed to ever be in any danger.

Otherwise the information in the blog is exactly what you posted in your original post.

I do understand the desire to vent your displeasure with what happened though.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Out of over 100 cruises, we had exactly ONE bad one. Raw sewage was backing up in our shower, and there were no empty cabins for them to move us into. They made a monitary offer aboard ship, which we declined, however on arrival home, we called Carnival and explained the situation. They bent over backward to make us happy, and make a fair settlement. Since then, we've sailed Carnival a number of times, with no further problems. Yes, it's true that Carnival isn't my favorite line, but I absolutely will sail them without a second thought.
See you aboard,
Ken
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Boy I hope bigdog1 never is on onw of my cruises.

Nile Romance Nile River 5/90
QE2 Transatlantic 8/95
Norwegian Crown Western Caribbean 4/97
Celebrity Zenith Panama Canal 04/98
Carnival Jubilee Southern Caribbean 03/99
Renaissance R3 Tahiti 11/99
Dawn Princess back to back Southern Caribbean 04/00
Norwegian Majesty Bermuda 09/00
Norwegian Wind Western Caribbean 12/03
Norwegian Spirit Southern Caribbean 12/03/04
Celebrity Horizon Western Caribbean 03/25/05
Coral Princess SB Alaska 6/18/05

Old September 27th, 2005, 03:18 PM
First Mate

Beside the smoking issue let me get this straight.

A couple hundred miles into a trip one of the props has a problem. The Capt decides to go to Nassau where there is a shipyard and a cruise ship port (so there is something for the passenegers to do while repairs are completed) to repair the ship instead of going in the opposite direction, and to a third world country with no repair facilities. When its repaired he then takes you to a private island to make up for the missed ports. And they gave you each $150 onboard credit.

Sorry man Im feeling no sympathy what so ever.

Have not read the thread a couple months ago about the RCCL ship that rammed the dock in Costa Mya and had to stay there days until they could get compitent people there to repair the ship and make it seaworthy?

While RCCL doesnt have a steller record for customer relations I see nothing to ***** about here.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

- nope, I don't work for Royal. I live in CT & their offices are in Miami. A bunch of us took our first cruise back in April & someone suggested this site for research & questions, so I've pretty much slammed this board with dozens of questions prior to our trip plus giving people tips in Aruba since we have a timeshare there.
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Beginner

GREAT
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandk
I will start by conceding to the fact that I did not read all of the above hot air. I would love to be “bigdog1” who appears to be perfect. A person who has never had a problem with there car. You know that perfect maintenance record. Why is it that every time something goes slightly wrong, that 3 letter word pops up, SUE”.

On one trip the airline kept my luggage for the week, we got over it and had a great time. Yes we got a small amount of compensation but we did not sue the airline.

I am proud to be Canadian!
Good for you for being Canadian. RCI knew about this problem a month before we got aboard and did not do anything permanent about it. Half the local employees in Key West thought it was strange that the ship was still having the same problem.
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in MD
Beside the smoking issue let me get this straight.

A couple hundred miles into a trip one of the props has a problem. The Capt decides to go to Nassau where there is a shipyard and a cruise ship port (so there is something for the passenegers to do while repairs are completed) to repair the ship instead of going in the opposite direction, and to a third world country with no repair facilities. When its repaired he then takes you to a private island to make up for the missed ports. And they gave you each $150 onboard credit.

Sorry man Im feeling no sympathy what so ever.

Have not read the thread a couple months ago about the RCCL ship that rammed the dock in Costa Mya and had to stay there days until they could get compitent people there to repair the ship and make it seaworthy?

While RCCL doesnt have a steller record for customer relations I see nothing to ***** about here.
150 onboard credit is not much as we spent 2k on the cruise.

We could have flown to the Bahamas for less and staid at Atlantis.
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Beginner

I hope for your sanity you get some satisfaction but I do wonder about the amount of time and effort you are putting into this. I've been on 20+
cruises and have encountered this type of action on a few other occasions involving missed ports and mechanical problems even the disruption of a hurricane. Usually one passenger is outraged and gets others all reved up. I often wonder if there is ever any resolution.You would definately get more satisfaction by simply making your request to RCCL. Let the others do the same for themselves. I have always gotten
compensation with this method .Good luck
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've just been skimming this topic and really don't want to take sides one way or the other. But, I would like to comment on the 'logic' bigdog1 is attempting to use. It would appear that this is one big story weaved together with hearsay, rumors, a poor understanding of what can actually happen and of course, the old, "I heard this guy who knows this guy who said...." story. A huge amount of assumptions are made based on the limited information available. Unfortunately, they are only one possible conclusion that can be reached out of many. An example is the following quote: "2. Something hits them. This ship was in deep calm water, no hint we hit Atlantis or anything else." You can tailor that to meet any conclusion you want but lets face it, there is a lot of stuff floating out there at sea these days and you can hit something on a rough day as well as a smooth one, so on that basis alone, the deep, calm water situation means absolutely nothing. And making an assumption that "negleted maintenance is the reason and the only reason that we never made Mexico" with no facts whatsoever to back that up other than an apparent feeling, is just plain ridiculous.

As I said, I'm not taking sides on the issue, I'm only taking issue with the logic, or lack of it, being used to guess at what happened. I have been trained in aircraft accident investigation and from that perspective, I can tell you that you never start making conclusions before you have the facts. And in this case, you do not base conclusions on the fact that no one saw repairs being done. Unless you had a diver down there the whole time watching the prop area, you can't be certain you didn't just miss it.

Is it possible that RCCL did play fast and loose with mechanical issues on Empress? Sure it is. Or maybe partially or maybe not at all. The point is that based on what has been posted, I see absolutely no evidence for most of these accusations. It may be there somewhere, but not in these posts. Was it handled well from a customer service perspective? Sounds like maybe not the best it could have been. I would certainly feel somewhat bent out of shape for having my vacation messed up in such a manner. But then again, RCCL's duties and responsibilities are clearly spelled out in the cruise contract you agree to before you sail. Bottom line, unexpected things do happen, mechanical problems do occur (not always due to negligence), weather does turn sour. And while sometimes (in my opinion) the cruise lines could maybe do a little more in the way of compensation, in this case, RCCL did not spring a surprise on anyone in their response. They may have done the minimum they would do, but they did follow their procedures.

Chip

Oh boy....Mariner in 4 days!
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Admiral

I enjoyed reading the post. It initially has the appearance and tone of a well thought out and logically presented set of evidence and arguement.
Initially my thought was "here finally might be a well expressed set of arguements for one of these I didn't get what I paid for posts".
I was wrong.
Years ago I used to judge highschool level debate. The biggest mistakes made were 1) lack of evidence. Inuendo, supposition and hearsay is not evidence. 2) quantum leaps to link suppositions. 3) not realizing that once you have engaged in 1 and 2 even your credible evidence and correct suppositions fall into question.
Unfortunately the beautifully presented paragraphs above are guilty of all those mistakes.
I wish you well in your search for compensation. When and if you find a court to go, to bring evidence, leave the rest behind.
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1
GREAT
What´s GREAT bigdog? You or what??
Since you´re hiding, I can´t tell you
what I think about your posting.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Passenger

Every ship - every Cruise Line - can have a problem. For the most part, you just have to take it in stride and not let one thing ruin your entire cruise.
My observation of Royal Caribbean Cruise Line is one of the best and we have been on other cruise lines. I have never had a problem that could not be worked out and I never take "he said - she said" for fact. There are people out there who just want compensation for everything and anything.
We have been on 13 RCI cruises and 6 other lines, Royal is by far and best of the lot.
Old September 28th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBill
I enjoyed reading the post. It initially has the appearance and tone of a well thought out and logically presented set of evidence and arguement.
Initially my thought was "here finally might be a well expressed set of arguements for one of these I didn't get what I paid for posts".
I was wrong.
Years ago I used to judge highschool level debate. The biggest mistakes made were 1) lack of evidence. Inuendo, supposition and hearsay is not evidence. 2) quantum leaps to link suppositions. 3) not realizing that once you have engaged in 1 and 2 even your credible evidence and correct suppositions fall into question.
Unfortunately the beautifully presented paragraphs above are guilty of all those mistakes.
I wish you well in your search for compensation. When and if you find a court to go, to bring evidence, leave the rest behind.
PapaBill:

Well said.
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:29 PM
First Mate

Would disagree with you that RCL is the best and I would put Holland and Celebrity above them in most catagorys and we have been cruising since the late 50,s.Also have been on most of the European cruise lines and in my final comment have never found a cruise which was not nice and sure beats staying at home.AQm comparing only main line cruise lines and not the higher priced first class lines Apples to apples for my comments.
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Yeoman

This all just makes me laugh. Really, do you have nothing better to do? Did this really hurt you that bad? And, do you think that Royal Caribbean, and every other cruise line out their, doesn't get letters like this every day. They are used to this, and I am QUITE SURE that the execs who read this letter are just laughing at you. Please, they have the highest priced attorneys and I can assure you that you have NOTHING coming to you. This is truly laughable to them. You should feel quite dumb now.
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can we just end this stupid thread?? OM
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Default Dishonesty at Royal Caribbean

We just returned from a trip on the Monarch of the Seas.
(Friday, Sept 30th) The trip was NOT uneventful! There were several situations that could have been handled better.

One: Our itinarary was changed at the last minute. This change caused some real problems that escalated toward the end of the cruise.

Two: When we arrived in San Diego, we spent several hours waiting in line to be cleared by INS. This cut our shore excursion time by 2 1/2 hours. (this delay was caused by INS...not RCCI)

Three: When we arrived in Long Beach...our docking bay was filled by another ship...and we were taken to Berth #155...WAY out in the boonies. Again...not RCCI fault, but this new situation escalated passenger frustration and anger. Transfers back to the main enbarkcation center were a mess.
There was no one from RCCI directing the passengers to buses or other alterative ways back to the main cruise terminal. People were becoming wild with anger! I'm not kidding!!!!!

Some of the passengers allowed the above problems to take hold of them. They stopped thinking or trying to reason the problem out. They began screaming and yelling not only at fellow passengers, but also at the crew...who could do nothing... It was not their fault. Stuff happens. Stuff happens....it just does...One young woman from RCCI who was suppose to help direct passengers became frighten and left. We didn't blame her...some passengers were really out of control. If the passengers had just taken the time to reason it out...it wouldn't have been so bad. We did...and found an alternate way back to the main terminal within 10-15 minutes.

Inspite of the above...we had a WONDERFUL TIME. The Monarch is a beautiful ship...The food and service was great...the crew friendly and accomodating. The entertainment was very good from day one. Even our little cabin with a window was better than we expected, and the weather was beautiful.

When I called RCCI Customer Service on Saturday, Oct 1st and explained what happen with INS in San Diego and at the dock in Long Beach, the representive I spoke with, Luke, was very nice and gave us some credit for the missed shore excursion and a discount coupon for a future cruise. NO it wasn't a large discount...but I didn't ask for the moon either. We tried to be reasonable and fair. Afterall, the whole cruise was NOT a bust.

Being dogmatic about how RCCI doesn't care one way or another for their customers is not fair or true. They want your business. RCCI is in business to make money..and that is not a bad thing. Try working with them in a reasonable manner. Perhaps the situation could have been handled better, like our recent experience...but ' Dishonesty at Royal Caribbean???' I don't think so. Be fair and honest yourself.

Will we sail RCCI again...most likely yes, because dispite the small bumps in our trip...overall it was GREAT cruise!
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Beginner

Missed ports happen all the time! I missed two. Get over it, move on. Bigger things in life!
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Beginner

I am also a passenger from the Empress of the sea cruise 9/12/05 and think that alot of the people replying are being very harse. You don't understand. We had plans. We had booked excursions. We had done research and thought into where we wanted to go beforehand. I am not a rrich person. I saved 6 months for this cruise. I had already been to Nassau with Carnival cruise lines. Which I should add i sould have stuck with but a friend made these plans for us. At dinner our dishes were almost vibrating off the table. M4 yr. old nephew wanted to go put on his life jacket. We were told this would be fixed in Key West. When it wasn't they changed our distination to Nassau for repairs. I'm not saying that there were no repairs done there BUT in Key West there was a repair van a scuba people at the ship all day. We have photos of the van in the background of our family photos. We went on and off the ship at different times in Nassau taking pictures in front of the ship of family etc. and didn't see one van or any signs of the ship being repaired. Also we had several people in Key West say "oh the Empress' shes always having problems". Now for the $150 on board credit. We were not told that we could cash in this credit and do with it what we wanted. Only the ones who asked got it back. Alot of people were angry when they found out they didn't have to spend that money on board as they were led to believe. The excusion desk was a madhouse with people trying to find new things to do. Now does that sound like a relaxing vacation? I feel like we deserve a full reembusment. Now I would understand a hurricane. Thats an act of God (or Mother nature) but to quote the Captain in his letter to the passengers "Divers inspected the propeller this afternoon and determined that several bolts that connect the coneshaped cover at the end of our propeller shaft were damaged, as well as the cover itself" I don't see how that could be missed with routine inspections. I'm sticking with carnival cruise lines in the future.
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Beginner

It happens, move one. On our last cruise every single tour that I booked had to be cancelled, I also had spent hour researching every excursion and I am also not rich. We were diverted to Nassau also and I was not thrilled about it and had to book an excursion from the ship which I hated. However, I am still cruising with RCCL.
Old October 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, that's the thing about being on a resort that moves....stuff happens. You may have weather, port trouble, even mechanical problems. But, I guess all you can do is deal with it and move on. that's why the cruise lines don't guarantee that you'll make any particular port. Of course they do go as scheduled whenever possible but things can happen. I've had problems in hotels and at resorts also. Last year, the condo that we always go to in Cape Canaveral was repairing their pool the entire week we were there. Dissapointed? Sure. But you deal with it.

As to the remark about the following note from the Empress Captain: "Divers inspected the propeller this afternoon and determined that several bolts that connect the coneshaped cover at the end of our propeller shaft were damaged, as well as the cover itself" I don't see how that could be missed with routine inspections". How about this, maybe they hit something. Could have been any of a number of causes. You have to understand that every square inch of the entire ship is not inspected every sailing. Heck, some of that stuff, and I'm guessing this would apply to the propeller, is probably visually inspected maybe every few months, or more. No mode of transportation can do that schedule of inspections without the vessel being under examination more than it's in use. So basically, it could have been anything and insinuating that the problem was due to a botched inspection has no basis in fact.

Chip