Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:38 PM
Beginner

Default Mariner Entertainment

I'll be on the Mariner soon and was wondering about the entertainment. Are there any "must sees"....what about any "don't bother" ??
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Scrapy,I will be sailing on AOS next week.I went onto RCCL .com and sent a email to them and requested to know what entertainment was going to be on board.They sent me a complete list of shows and entertainers that will be on for the week.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Beginner

THANKS !!!
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Beginner

The stage shows are great, but the one DON'T MISS is the ice show....make sure you see that.
Old October 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from Mariner yesterday. Most of the entertainment was outstanding. The RCCL production shows were top-notch (as they usually are on the Eagle class ships). This was our 3rd time on this class ship but our first seeing the ice show. Just have to say wow! Don't miss it. The current show is amazing all around with acrobatics mixed in to the skating. I saw it with a former competitive skater who was amazed at how good it was. The feature performers were a mix of abilities. The singer was Dominick Allen. He was very good and multi-talented as he played a variety of instruments. His bio says he was once with the band Foreigner but I don't remember him from that. But he was very good. The comedian, for the first time on RCCL, was not very funny. And coming from me, that's something because I find most of them very good. His name was Richie Minervini and while he had a few good jokes, he was, at best, o.k. They also featured impressionist Fred Travalena. He was in his heyday in the 60's and 70's. He was not very good at all. For his reputation, he did some impressions that didn't sound at all like the people he was doing and he did a few with accents that were from different places than the person he was doing. Not very impressed. As I said, this was the first time I had not been very impressed with the ENTIRE lineup of entertainment on RCCL. But, I guess they can't all be gems. Again, don't miss the production shows, the ice show, and Dominick Allen.

Hopefully, these will be what is onboard when you go. One of the best things we saw that had the crowd on their feet, unfortunatley, won't be there if you are going in the next 2 months. I can honestly say I never saw anything like this. At the farewell show, cruise director Ken Rush said that he had some surprise entertainment that would really shock us. The curtain rose, and standing there was Mariner's Captain Gerry Larsson-Fedde with an electric guitar and amp. He proceded to play...and sing...Brown Eyed Girl. He was actually very good. Then he finished with Eric Claptons's 'Tears In Heaven', accompanied by a sax player. They guy is apparently multi-talented also and the crowd was on it's feet. Big surprise. But, Capt. Gerry was leaving on vacation as we arrived back in Port Canaveral. Ken Rush said that he had no idea that the Captain played but the he came across him, earlier in the cruise, playing and singing one evening in the Wig and Gavel pub and asked him to play at the farewell show. I don't know if that was one of those cruise director embellishments they tell each cruise but either way, the Captain was pretty good.

The band that played at the pool area was very good as was the latin band that played in the Bolero's lounge. Overall, lots of good stuff to see and hear. Mariner was beautiful and I'm sure you will love your cruise.

Chip