Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Beginner

Default Virgin Crousier

My wife and I are going on our first cruise. Any advise on thing your forgot to bring with you on your fitst cruise? I have already been told, I need to bring a steamer since they do not have irons in the rooms.
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Yeoman

Steamers arent allowed either (like an iron, they are a fire hazzard). I carried one on once with no problem though. Now I bring along Downys Wrinkle Release (comes in a white-ish colored spray bottle, not the fabirc softener stuff) which works pretty good. You just spray it on, and smooth out the wrinkles. Ive used it on many fabrics with good results, and never had to worry about burning myself. I use the stuff every day at home too.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Another vote for Downey Wrinkle Releaser. The last couple of times we have brought DH suit in our carry on and turned it in when we board. It is returned cleaned and pressed in time for the first formal night. You could have your shirts pressed for a small fee too. We still bring our small travel iron with no problems but very careful.

Be sure to read the "First Time Cruiser" article here and "Before you go" article. Lots of valuable info.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Captain

NO more travel iron or steamer here either. Downy Wrinkle Release is just the ticket and we even take it in a travel size bottle.
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Also to prevent wrinkles, put your dresses/suits in the plastic cleaner bags, you shouldn't need to iron at all.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Captain

Bring a multi-plug extension cord as well. Ships cabins do not have enough power outlets.
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its also a good idea to bring a travel flashlight, especially if you have an inside cabin, those get very dark.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Yeoman

I second the power strip-cabins only have one plug at the vanity, and one for razors only in the bathroom. Also, a nightlight is very nice to have, and an extra bag for souvenirs (we fold it up in our suitcase for the trip to the ship, and use it on the way home if needed).

alison
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Beginner

You better not forget the dramamine just in case! We get a little sea sick the first night and if the seas are my rough than usual. They have it in the ship store but its less expensive to just take some.
I also used to bring on an iron but know use the spray wrinkle release.
We also brought on a few sxtra duffles. (flattened them and packed them in our bags) because you'll bring home more stuff then you left with! We brought home about 20 souvinier glasses and had a duffle and newspaper for them. hope you have a great time
Oh and if you plan to go to the beach a beach bag!
Old October 14th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Passenger

I usually have the cruise ship iron my pants and shirts for diner time. It is really cheap. For twenty dollars, I can get five pants and five shirts done. Well worth the money, since I usually spend about a grand on board.
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow, that is a great price on ironing! What cruise line is that? We are leaving Sunday on RCCL and were just talking about getting a few shirts ironed if need be. My formal stuff is knit and slinky, so I'm not worried but we thought the dress shirts might get a little wrinkled. I do have some Wrinkle Release packed also. As far as a night light, I just used my cell phone for my alarm clock, kept it by my bed. Even though there is no service, the clock and light still worked of course, so if I woke up in the middle of the night I could just pick up my cell phone and see what time it was.
Old October 15th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I just popped back onto the site and realized that I asked "What cruise line" on the RCCL message board! Duh! But seriously, folks, was that a flat $2.00 per item ironed, or did it make a difference if is was a shirt or slacks? At any rate (no pun intended), that's not a bad price to get rid of your wrinkles while you relax. Now if only the spa offered prices like that to get rid of OUR wrinkles!
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Passenger

I have found that a small baggie of office supplies has come in handy - small scissors, a hiliter (to hilite the things on your "Cruise Compass" for the next day), a sharpie, a pen (to leave notes for the room attendant) and post-its. I have found this to be very helpful. Also, I bought 2 plastic small bins ($1.29 at Target) that my husband and I used as a "drop box" when we came into the room - camera, SeaPass card, soda bottle, etc. We each had our own. Water shoes were also a great thing to take on the excursions.

Patty