Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Passenger

Default room capacity/guest roster question

We are traveling in quite a large group (2 families, 7 children..) I have 3 cabins reserved. My husband and teenage son are in one, my 16 yr. old daughter and I are in one, and my daughters two 16 yr. old friends are in a cabin close to mine. Supposedly these cabins only hold 2 people each so I made the decision to put my daughter in mine instead of upgrading the third cabin to hold three because of the $$. So here is my question, I would be willing to bet that my daughter is going to crash with her friends in their cabin at least a few times during our cruise...am I going to be in deep doodoo if my cabin steward sees that my room's second guest is MIA and the other cabin has gained a third guest, or is this a non issue. I have visions of us being booted off the boat by the cruise police. Should I be worried? Lynn
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Passenger

come on guys, you're giving me a complex....
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Hi Lynn,

Please don't have a "complex" . Many people switch cabins while onboard. Some are families who have to book an adult in the cabin because of their children's ages, some, well, you know...

If you want, you and your husband can stay in one cabin, your son (you didn't say how old he is) can have his own cabin, and your daughter can crash with her friends.

I've never heard of a room steward reporting anything and the cruise police won't come after you!

Have a great cruise,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 29th, 2005, 11:58 PM
First Mate

Lynn, I completely agree with Fern.

Don't fret!

Have a great cruise!

Michelle
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Passenger

phew! fern and michelle, thanks for the reassurance. I would stay with my husband but he snores like a wild bear (we have separate bedrooms at home). My son will be 15 and like most teenage boys can sleep through anything...Lynn
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Beginner

As long as the appropriate number of cabins are booked and paid for, no one will care who sleeps where. We travel with young kids (4 & 8) and have experience with this.

The issue of people per cabin is primarily a Coast Guard requirement -- there might be 200 cabins on board that are CAPABLE of holding 4 people (dare I say comfortably?), but the line cannot book 4 people in all 200 of those cabins because if they do, and all of the other cabins are full have 2 passengers each, they may end up with too many people on board the ship. I've had experience where I've checked price and availability, down to a specific cabin, on day and priced a specific cabin for 4 people; then go to actually book a week later, go for that exact same cabin, and can no longer book it for 4. It is not that the cabin can't hold that many, it is just no longer allowed to be SOLD for 4. In that case, I've had to book 2 cabins with the full understanding of the cruise line that all 4 people will actually be staying in the original cabin. But by having 4 split into 2 cabins, they are sure that the TOTAL capacity of the ship is not exceeded. This is a long example to illustrate the one point that is most important to the OP -- the ship is most concerned about the TOTAL number on board, not any particular cabin.

Have fun!!
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Passenger

Holy cow, I never knew it was so complicated...but I'm feeling more assured of my decision. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Lynn
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Beginner

Yep, I know what you mean! The only reason I have a firm understanding is that, when the case I mentioned in my example happened to us, you can bet I went in search of a detailed explanation as to why I could book a speciifc cabin and a specific sailing for 4 people one day, then a few days later could not book that exact same cabin on that exact same sailing for the same 4 people.

For an even clearer understanding, consider this -- if I booked that cabin I wanted for 4 people, and they later sold the second cabin (the additional cabin I ended up having to take) with 2 people, that would be a total of 6 on the boat in those 2 cabins. By requiring my family to take both cabins for the 4 of us, they've reduced the total number on the boat by 2, thus staying within the approved capacity for the ship.

Obviously the cruise lines don't want to build a boat big enough to be approved for 4 people in every cabin, because the majority of cabins will only be booked with 2 people -- to have the capacity for 4 per cabin, the ship would end up with a lot of excess capacity (might be nice, extra elbow room and all, for us, but not good business for the line) so they have to manage capacity in this way.