Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:44 PM
Beginner

Default Disgustingly Filthy Radiance of the Seas RCI

We recently cruised with RCI on Radiance of the Seas. We cruised on that ship several years ago and chose it again because of the layout and condition. What a difference 3 years makes! The ship was absolutely filthy! Stains on carpets everywhere, stains on dining room chairs. The majority of our dinners were cold by the time they reached out table. The waiter and asst. barely understood english and frankly did not care. The food quality was terrible. The best meal we had was when we went to the Chops Grille (and paid an extra $20.00 US a person) The waiter was excellent and the food was what we have been used to on our previous 6 cruises with Princess and Celebrity. When the toilets all backed up on the pool deck, the complaint was ignored and 3 hours later the toilets had not only not been repaired but signage was not even put out to deter other passengers from going in and seeing the disgusting sight. We have been on older ships and the crew have kept them in pristine condition. RCI did not seem to care. A letter was sent to RCI upon arriving home. No response yet from the CEO or President. It was a disappointing cruise to say the least. I now know where and why Norwalk Virus begins. No wonder passengers get so sick.
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Wow! I am very surprised to read your comments. We cruised on the Radiance twice this year, May and Sept. and found it absolutely wonderful. We enjoyed our food and even had 2nd helpings as did our tablemates and our waitstaff spoke English very well and were very helpful in our nightly selections. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. There is no excuse for the facilities to be unaccessable for such a long time, but I can't imagine that one incident would ruin my whole cruise.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:29 PM
Beginner

I didn't want to go on and on but there was not just one instance but dozens. At a table of ten in the dining room, not one passenger was happy with either the food quality or service. On the 4th day at sea there were 5 of us in line at the customer service desk to complain and have our issues addressed. Nothing happened with any of us and the funny thing is that when we discussed it at dinner that night, we found out we were all told the same thing "that this was the FIRST" complaint they had" Ridculous and insulting service!
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Passenger

I find this very hard to believe, do you have any pictures to back up these claims of yours?
Old November 1st, 2005, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Disgustingly Filthy Radiance of the Seas RCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck888
We recently cruised with RCI on Radiance of the Seas. We cruised on that ship several years ago and chose it again because of the layout and condition. What a difference 3 years makes! The ship was absolutely filthy! Stains on carpets everywhere, stains on dining room chairs. The majority of our dinners were cold by the time they reached out table. The waiter and asst. barely understood english and frankly did not care. The food quality was terrible. The best meal we had was when we went to the Chops Grille (and paid an extra $20.00 US a person) The waiter was excellent and the food was what we have been used to on our previous 6 cruises with Princess and Celebrity. When the toilets all backed up on the pool deck, the complaint was ignored and 3 hours later the toilets had not only not been repaired but signage was not even put out to deter other passengers from going in and seeing the disgusting sight. We have been on older ships and the crew have kept them in pristine condition. RCI did not seem to care. A letter was sent to RCI upon arriving home. No response yet from the CEO or President. It was a disappointing cruise to say the least. I now know where and why Norwalk Virus begins. No wonder passengers get so sick.
I noticed the same differance in my 2 Sovereign cruises. My cruise were 2 yrs. apart. I guess these ships really need to be redone very often. I have been on 3 ships woith the carpet stains and always wondered if this was because of drunks or what-until one trip I dumped coffee all over the carpet when we were out to sea and things were choppy.

On my recent Mariner cruise-the ship still looked great and should have being not quite 2 yrs. old-but I did notice after a hard rain that there were leakage in the stair well area for several decks below the lido. I felt that ship was too new for that.

I also felt the food had gone down a lot. On both my Sovereign cruises I had great food but I found the food on the Mariner mediocre except for Chops. I do beleive they are just not using the same quality of food-but look at the prices of cruises-they are still around what they were 5 yrs. ago-people are just not as willing to pay more-every thing else has gone up so we should expect cruises to go up also. I believe the cruiselines are cutting the quality of foods to make a profit.

I will still cruise though. I guess I will just eat more often at chops.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Beginner

whoa,,,hope this post is just one on cranks,,,,going on the Radiance in Jan. and bringing family and friends,,,say it isn't so,,,will be our first time on Rc,,,having only sailed on Celebrity ships and knowing what to expect....please tell me this is not the case.......
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Beginner

I am not a crank....Spoke yesterday with our cruise agent who submitted 61 complaints from our group of 82. We certainly weren't the only ones noticing the deficiencies. She also added that Radiance may be going in for "clean-up". Maybe RCI is listening after all.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Hard to believe the Radiance changed so much in a few weeks. We heard she has been scheduled for drydock early next year.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Yeoman

Once again, some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. You really think that the President or CEO is going to respond to you cause you though the ship was dirty? That is what the customer service department is for. I guarantee you, even if the CEO's name is attached to a response letter, he never even layed eyes on your complaint. He has many more important things to deal with. And with the amount of people who complain just to complain, there is no time for him to deal with you. Maybe he will take time out of his busy schedule to read the THOUSANDS of letters just like yours. Not. If this is the worst thing in your life right now, you are doing pretty damn good. I am so tired of people trying to get something in life for free by lying.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:23 PM
Passenger

Canuck- Had to support you , I got sniped at on another topic for saying the Empress was dirty. Maybe we just have higher standards of cleanliness and not used to stained chairs, dirty carpet ,dingy towels and dirty carpets ,dirty shower. Some people guess live that way and doesn't bother . I clean

1st cruise and expected "Westin" and got "Howard Johnsons" Enjoyed cruising am booked again but have lower standards. I would have thought a suite and the main dining room would have been in better shape. I know old and I know clean

Fitza- I didnt write a complaint letter, didnt complain on ship, not wanting anything for free, have family if I want to fight with someone dont need to fight with internet people. just expressing my opinion
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Admiral

You are right...everyone is different...but these ships are really used by cruisers from all walks of life.

Haven't you noticed that people in general are NOT clean! They don't clean up after themselves...leave trash everywhere thinking that it is someone elses job to pick up after them...After all...they're on a cruise..That's what the staff is for! Multiply that by hundreds or thousands every week...its rough on the crew.

Some cruiser's don't really show respect for furniture or things that don't belong to them..they use them like 'throw away' articles. New cruisers board so quickly...in a hurry to start their fun trip...that it is hard for the crew to clean up completely. Some people do things on a cruise they would NEVER do at home or IN their home.

I'm not trying to make up excuses for the cruise lines...after all we had a cabin disappointment with Celebrity...BUT we did see the staff trying and give them kudos’ for their effort. Most of the Cruise industries staff and crew are very hard workers that have to deal with people from all walks of life, cultures and standards of cleanliness and do it in a tactful, non-judgmental manner.

Speaking of filty...have any of you visited an Emergency Room lately???!!! What's the excuse there?
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfuzz
Canuck- Had to support you , I got sniped at on another topic for saying the Empress was dirty. Maybe we just have higher standards of cleanliness and not used to stained chairs, dirty carpet ,dingy towels and dirty carpets ,dirty shower. Some people guess live that way and doesn't bother . I clean

1st cruise and expected "Westin" and got "Howard Johnsons" Enjoyed cruising am booked again but have lower standards. I would have thought a suite and the main dining room would have been in better shape. I know old and I know clean

Fitza- I didnt write a complaint letter, didnt complain on ship, not wanting anything for free, have family if I want to fight with someone dont need to fight with internet people. just expressing my opinion
Your first mistake was expecting Westin Quality. I do not believe that Westin is the nicest hotel in the world, and when I stay at a Westin, I expect a mediocre experience. I am not a messy person, and I am used to the finer things in life. That was just the way I was raised. I was raised on 5 star vacations, and 5 star hotels. Always 1st class. But I never expect to much out of an experience. That way, when I get there, I am not dissapointed by the little things. You can't expect a ship with thousand of people from all walks of life to be clean everytime you are on it. That is why they have dry dock periods. No matter how hard they try, it is going to get dirty and will be in need of repairs. You are talking Royal Caribbean, not the Ritz Carlton. It is an affordable vacation. Its not ever going to be 5 star. There are cruise lines that are. Maybe you would prefer them. I am not trying to start a fight either. I am just stating my opinion and experiences.
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think the OP needed to put down the magnifying glass and have a vacation...

A table of ten all complaining about the food on RCI?

Four out of five standing in line to ***** at customer service?

61 of 82 in their "group" whining to the TA?

Misery loves company. Geez, it must have been the grump group.

Just mho.

LL
Old November 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Has anyone noticed that Carnival has double the amount of posts and barely no complaints? It is because Royal Caribbean has HORRIBLE customer service, and horrible food. The only food worth eating you have to pay extra for. I have cruised all the lines and I would go with Carnival over Royal anytime, and Carnival tends to be cheaper. All the people on this board complaining are not lying.
Old November 5th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Weimviz - how many RCI ships have you cruised on? You are a self proclaimed expert on the "Only food worth eating...?"
I didn't notice you griping about the food on your Voyager cruise last summer... just complaining because you missed a hurricane in Bermuda...
Puh-leez, go over to Carnival and enjoy yourself.

LL
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Yeoman

Been on Carnival twice. Both times dirty ships and HORRIBLE food. Don't know what kind of food you are used to but if you like Carnivals fiid, someone forgot what food is suppose to tase like. Royal Caribbean is by far better than Carnival, and if you like Carnival better, then please stay over there. And if you go to the "Other" mor popular cruise message board, you will see that there are just as many people complaining over there about Carnival.
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:07 AM
First Mate

AMEN to that

Peace to all

Happy sailings

Everybody is right

CHEERS

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Your first mistake was expecting Westin Quality
I count westin as middle of the road. Not a mistake. For middle of the road I expect clean, decent etc. I know I wasn't spending a fortune and got what I paid for.

I agree big turn over not enough cleaning time.

As I said before I didnt complain to anyone on board or off, I am always appreciative to staff who have no control.
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Passenger

Lightsluvr-
I'm sorry I don't recall saying I was an expert at anything, I also don't recall saying the food on Carnival was good. Do you listen? or just talk? I was saying Royal is comparable to Carnival and Carnival tends to be cheaper. My problem with Royal in July was not about going to Canada it was about how they treat their customer's. They sent me a future cruise discount last month, why could that not have been given to us on the ship to prevent all the chaos? I have cruised all lines, I tend to cruise with Celebrity the most, Now I know why.