Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Passenger

Default Sailing Jan on RCCL, have sailed just Celebrity before..

I just had my first cruise ever last March on Celebrity's Millenium for a 7-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary and I had a blast (even w/ the lack of activity after 10pm besides bars and the disco). I really liked the quality of the food in the dining room and the class the servers and attendants displayed. Although I'm in my late 20's, I really enjoyed the experience.

Based on a recommendation from one of the couples at my table, Im trying RCCL this January 14th on Voyager of the Seas for their Western Caribbean sailing w/ my gf. They said that RCCL had more activities and that the food was pretty similar and I would def enjoy it.

After reading some posts, I'm starting to get a bit concerned that maybe I won't enjoy the dinners as much and that would slightly take the shine off my excitement. I'm optimistic and I'm not setting my expectations too high so I'm only going to disappointed, but some feedback would be great!

Dressing up in a suit for dinner doesn't bother me in the least (I enjoyed the formal dinners on Millenium). I'm the type of person who won't even give Carnival the time of day because its too party-boat for my tastes (I love to party, but not frat-style).

Regardless this will be a great experience to enjoy w/ my gf and she's never cruised and can't wait for our sailing as I'm treating her. And I'm sure I will love having a balcony after having just an inside room for my Celebrity cruise (more than adequate for traveling alone).

One of the small touches that I really liked on Celebrity was that my stateroom attendant always filled the water pitcher and ice bucket in my room so I never had to think twice when I wanted a quick cool glass of water.

Waiting until Jan is going to kill me..... <sigh>

- mobster75!
Cruise #2
[img]/countdown2.php?month=01&year=2006&day=14&hour=17:0 0[/img]
Voyager of the Seas, Western Caribbean

Celebrity Millenium, Eastern Caribbean, 3/05
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:09 PM
First Mate

We have sailed on both of these lines and love them both. Yes, I think that the service on Celebrity is more formal, such as having the waiters take your trays for you when leaving the buffet line. There are also less announcements on Celebrity than RCI.

That being said, RCI's room stewards were just as attentitive as on Celebrity, and you get towel animals!!! There are more activities at the pools and the evening entertainment also has more "fun" types of things to do. Be SURE to go to Quest! It is a wonderful "adult" game time!

The food: hmmmm. Not quite as fancy on RCI, in my opinion, but very good. Great service.

I would do either line at any time. One thing that helps us pick RCI is the time in port. Some of the Celebrity ships aren't in ports as long as we like.

Have a great cruise with your GF. What a guy you are!

Michelle
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

One thing I wanted to note, we did not have pitchers of water in our staterooms on the two RCI cruises I took recently, so if that is really important to you you may be disappointed. Our room steward did keep our ice bucket full, and we brought a few bottles of water of our own so we did not have to pay $2.00 for a bottle of water. As far as the food goes, I have only cruised RCI, so I cannot compare it with any other lines, but I found the food very nice, particularly in the dining room. Our tablemates had cruised both RCI and Celebrity before, and indicated that Celebrity is definitely more upscale and formal than RCI, but that they enjoyed both. I agree with the other poster, you are a great guy to take your girlfriend, and I am sure you will both have a great time just getting away from it all together.
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM
First Mate

We cruise on both lines but expectations differ as to each. Food/dining will not be the highlight of any Royal ship unless you go to Portofino or Chops. There will be a more lively time in the clubs on Royal . Both have great spas. Each has it's merits--hope you enjoy the cruise--just don;t expect Roysl to be Celeb & vice versa!
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Beginner

I am sure you will have a wondeful time! And that gf of yours... wow... shes awfully lucky!
Old November 14th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You'll find a more "upbeat" experience on RCI than on Celebrity. On Voyager you'll also find alot more people, and alot more families, and alot bigger ship.

RCI food over the last several years has declined, and I'm honestly anyone would think it similar to Celebrity. I don't need it fancy, but I do prefer it to taste good

Carnival's "frat party" reputation is very old, and no longer even close to justifiable. And we feel Carnival food is generally quite a bit better than RCI.
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Admiral

We've sailed both RCCI and Celebrity. We've come to believe that good service and food does depend on the staffing of the ship.

When we sailed on the Mercury...we enjoyed GREAT food and WONDERFUL service!! But the cabins were really really really small. (really!) The Mercury is a very clean ship.

Our first cruise was on RCCI Rhapsody of the Seas. This turned out to be an excellent first curise experience. The food was Excellent both in the dining room and buffet . Service from the staff was very good too.
The cabins were nice. A lovely ship.

Now RCCI Radiance of the Seas is a Beautiful, beautiful ship. We had excellent food in the dining room, but the Buffet food was terrible. General service from the staff not great! (but in the dining room service was exceptional.)

Monarch of the Seas...Great food, wonderful attentive service. Beautiful small ship!

Both RCCI and Celebrity have their pluses. My husband and I are fairly new cruisers, but now feel that each ship has it's own personality and flavor. Celebrity does seem to offer a little more upscale services, and we enjoyed them! We had no complaints at all with Celebrity.

But I do have to admit that services on the Monarch came pretty close!
So even though she is a smaller ship...we booked her again for 2006.

We will be trying out Celebrity's Infinity in 2006 on a 13 nighter to Alaska...most posters on the boards seem to like this ship...so we will be seeing for ourselves in May.

I think you will like RCCI. It's different than Celebrity...but I think you will have a positive experience, and want to cruise RCCI again.
Old November 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Sailing Jan on RCCL, have sailed just Celebrity before..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster75
I just had my first cruise ever last March on Celebrity's Millenium for a 7-day Eastern Caribbean itinerary and I had a blast (even w/ the lack of activity after 10pm besides bars and the disco). I really liked the quality of the food in the dining room and the class the servers and attendants displayed. Although I'm in my late 20's, I really enjoyed the experience.

Based on a recommendation from one of the couples at my table, Im trying RCCL this January 14th on Voyager of the Seas for their Western Caribbean sailing w/ my gf. They said that RCCL had more activities and that the food was pretty similar and I would def enjoy it.

After reading some posts, I'm starting to get a bit concerned that maybe I won't enjoy the dinners as much and that would slightly take the shine off my excitement. I'm optimistic and I'm not setting my expectations too high so I'm only going to disappointed, but some feedback would be great!

Dressing up in a suit for dinner doesn't bother me in the least (I enjoyed the formal dinners on Millenium). I'm the type of person who won't even give Carnival the time of day because its too party-boat for my tastes (I love to party, but not frat-style).

Regardless this will be a great experience to enjoy w/ my gf and she's never cruised and can't wait for our sailing as I'm treating her. And I'm sure I will love having a balcony after having just an inside room for my Celebrity cruise (more than adequate for traveling alone).

One of the small touches that I really liked on Celebrity was that my stateroom attendant always filled the water pitcher and ice bucket in my room so I never had to think twice when I wanted a quick cool glass of water.

Waiting until Jan is going to kill me..... <sigh>

- mobster75!
Mobster don't believe all that garbage about Carnival. It is pretty much on par with RCCL. The food is actually better. The "party cruises" are the mini ones on the older ships that fall over the weekend. Those are the ones you will want to stay away from. I found too even when I did Sovereign for a 3 day mini that there were problems with partying college students and abnoxious drunks.

Heck even on my Mariner 7 day-there was a drunk who was pretty obnoxious in the paino bar one night-we just left and went to another lounge. Funny thing was he was on the shuttle with us after the cruise back to the Radisson where we had our car parked. I was like "oh no not HIM." But fortunately stone-sober he was an entirely differant person.

We are doing a Celebrity cruise next. I decided I wanted to try a more upscale cruiseline. Did you enjoy your Celebrity cruise?
Old November 20th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had traveled on Celebrity a few times and decided to take my neices on a cruise. My cruise advisor told me I should taake a Carnival cruise with the girls. I was a very reluctant Carnival cruiser. Boy was I wrong. We had a great time. There was plenty to do or nothing to do. Carnival gets a bad rap. Maybe they deserved it in the past but they don't now(at least in my opinion). I wouldn't hesitate to go again. I am booked on the Navigator in June. I'm sure it will be fun and evrything will be fine. I think that expanding my horizons(so to speak) will make it easier to cruise more often.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by candbgirl
I had traveled on Celebrity a few times and decided to take my neices on a cruise. My cruise advisor told me I should taake a Carnival cruise with the girls. I was a very reluctant Carnival cruiser. Boy was I wrong. We had a great time. There was plenty to do or nothing to do. Carnival gets a bad rap. Maybe they deserved it in the past but they don't now(at least in my opinion). I wouldn't hesitate to go again. I am booked on the Navigator in June. I'm sure it will be fun and evrything will be fine. I think that expanding my horizons(so to speak) will make it easier to cruise more often.
My first cruise was carnival tropicale and an old garbage ship for sure-but as it ws my first cruise I did not know any better and loved it.

I have taken 4 Carnival cruises and I only remember out of the 4 just 2 negative experiences- On Tropicale a very drunk best man from an onboard wedding went down the slide in his tux-now he didn't really irritate me I just thought he was a fool and probally regretted that when he had to pay for that tux.

The other experience was on Carnival Miracle-at 2 a.m. we heard a couple out fighting on the balcony-we started to call sercurity but then they got quiet-I guess someone else beat us to it.

But those are the only 2 experiences I have seen of the so-called hard partying Carnival cruisers.

Now on Sovereign in 01 We had an obnoxious drunk screaming and crusing at his wife/companion and the waiters like 2 tables away at dinner one night and he was NOT removed from the dinningroom. That same cruise we also had a bunch of half drunk partying college students dumping one another FULLY CLOTHED in the pool. Nothing was done about that either.

On our last cruise on the Mariner of the Seas we had an obnoxious drunk in the piano bar one night-he kept yelling out requests to the piano player-the guy first ignored him-but when he kept on-the paino player pointed to a person who had just handed him a tip and said he honored paid requests first. The guy then made a big deal about putting in a $10 in the glass and insisted he play his song first. I left after that.

Well that is ALL my experiences of hard partying drunks on all 10 cruises I have been on. Three were on Royal-two were on Carnival. Not too bad for 10 cruises huh?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilducky
I am sure you will have a wondeful time! And that gf of yours... wow... shes awfully lucky!
Ok.. it only took me a week to notice that my gf found her way over here and replied to my post... Sweetie, you're a dork, but I love you.

Now, how's about everyone else let her know how much of a dork she is? Heh.

Cruise #2
[img]/countdown2.php?month=01&year=2006&day=14&hour=17:0 0[/img]
Voyager of the Seas, Western Caribbean

Celebrity Millenium, Eastern Caribbean, 3/05
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM
First Mate

I think you have made a good choice. We enjoyed Celebrity alot but felt RCCL was a little more fun. Lots of pool activities. Younger crowd ( more your age then ours ) We have so much fun sipping on pina coladas and watching all the pool parties and great music. Have fun
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Passenger

I agree with Kuki, RCI food is nowhere as good as Celebrity or even Carnival at this point. Service far less consistent or formal in dining room. We just returned from Voyager Nov 4 sailing, my review can be found on cruisemates. Formal nights are dressup but the other evenings you will hardly see a sports jacket much less a tie even though they state smart casual (sports jacket & tie ) casual ( nice slacks and shirt ) and formal. All nights were really casual except the formal evenings. The buffet food was good and on the Blvd there is a small cafe that serves sandwiches, pizza, and desserts ( no charge ) and is a great place to grab a quick snack. There is also a sporst bar and English pub in that area so great to grab a snack and sit down at bar to enjoy it.

That said don't be concerned you will never the less find advantages versus your Celebrity cruise. First the Voyager is a magnificent ship unlike most size and amenity wise. The entertainment is a good mix offering magic and comedy performances which are a nice change from merely song and dance acts. Also the ice show is not to be missed! The BLVD is a great place to walk around as well.

The Sky bar overooking the pool is an open bar that has a great bartender Dsouza and is a good lace to grab a cocktail and look over the pool area. He and it were very popular.

So it will be far different from your other sailing but very enjoyable I would hope for you. One thing though, no water pitcher in cabins on Voyager or RCI for that matter, not even in suites. There is bottle water which you pay fo of course.

Have a great time

George in NY
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Familiar Face

Having sailed both lines the best way I can describe it is Celebrity is like Macys and RCI is like Sears(the older RCI ships are more like Walmart).
Caribbean Princess....Jan. 2007
Crown Princess.........Jan. 2008
Caribbean Princess....May 2008
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2009
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2010
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2011
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Beginner

Default Voyager

I was just on the Voyager last month and it was a blast! You would enjoy it!

Dinner: I've only been on Royal Caribbean so I really can't say it's the best. But I've liked what I recieved on my 2 cruises. It was nice and friendly, there were shows that the waiters sometimes performed on certain nights.