Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Default Voyager of the Seas out of Bayonne NJ Nov. 4-13

Nov. 4, Sail date........Sail time: 5:00 PM.............Port: Cape Liberty, NJ

Well two out of three were correct: We did set sail while it was still Nov. 4. and we did leave out of the armpit port Cape Liberty NJ.........however, we never even got on the Voyager of the Seas until 10:00 at night....some not until 12:00!!!!!!!

Cape Liberty port is a disgrace.....such a mess of unorganized, nasty and rude people! I"ll never sail out of there again, much less on Royal Caribbean unless they compensate all of us....for the ridiculousness of never boarding the ship and waiting for well over 5 hours in that hole of a port Cape Liberty! It's amazing really.....you look over and see the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, Chrysler Building etc.... and wow it is amazing.....and then you drive up to that cold-looking meat locker facility named Cape Liberty City Port!!!

We arrived at 3:30 and we were lucky, our rep. (we booked through AAA), informed us that there was a delay and not to show up before 4ish, many more unlucky folks were never informed there was a major and I mean a MAJOR delay....some people showed up at 1:00, believing they'd be boarding 2ish.........well most of us never boarded till 9:00-12:00...we had #56, and were treated and herded just like cattle!

The port was dirty, way way overcrowded, there was absolutely no where to sit.....most ending up on the cold hard ground...and they had incredibly rude workers (who by the way sub-contract with a company named Cruiselink out of Miami, they sub from Royal Caribbean......who by the way stink it up good), and they had 5 womens toilets for over 3500+ people!!!! They ran out of sandwiches & water, and even the vending machines were dry!!!!
One porter in particular named Herman Cole (working for Cruiselink), repeatedly ran over folks while he was pushing wheelchairs...I personally witnessed 2 of them, 1 being my own husband! Mr. Cole ran over the foot of one young girl about 8 years old, and when she cried to her mother that he ran over her foot, he rapidly turned around and told them "Sue me later"! A bit after that incident, Mr. Cole came full force with an elderly woman in a wheelchair, straight into my husband who was seated on a chair listening to some music to pass the hours and hours of hungry and thirsty waiting!!! He smacked so hard into my husband it shook his chair and entire body, including knocking my husbands books, and guitar to the ground......my husband whipped off his headset and asked him what the heck his problem was and Mr. Cole responded, "You're a young healthy man, move!"...I then followed Mr. Cole and asked him his name and who he worked for....while he gave me his name he wouldn't give me his company's name....so I asked one of his coworkers.........Royal Caribbean, sub-contracts with CRUISELINK for the Cape Liberty Port....those are the folks who treated all of us waiting in that terminal on November 4, 2005 Friday....like a bunch of herded cattle!!!

After all the waiting, lack of food and water, we finally boarded the ship at about 10:00 securing the last bit of dining room fare for the night....again at least we made it to a meal, many many behind us had to scrounge up something once they boarded well after 11:00PM! After all that wait....Royal Caribbean had the nerve to charge us for soda and drinks on that first night!!!!!!

The ship Voyager of the Seas is absolutely breathtaking, the stateroom staff (especially Rudy on deck 7), and the wait staff (especially Bo on table 324) were incredible and the head waiter from Turkey was soooo nice and courteous....they were just wonderful all of them, including the Windjammer staff and Island Grill staff.......almost everywhere you went staff smiled and were genuinely happy and nice!
The one major caveat was the Royal Caribbean reps. from Miami: this is where most of us went to complain about losing 1 ENTIRE day of PAID-FOR CRUISING! We missed out on a BonVoyage Party, most missed out on the dining experience, poolside party, and any and all activities slated for that day! When you got there to complain and ask about compensation, you were told without much of an apology or heart and told with much callousness that "There will not be any compensation forthcoming from Royal Caribbean"! That was it....no NOTHING!

We should have been on board and departing by 5:00PM.....we never even pulled away from that scuzzy port Cape Liberty until well after 11:00PM.....
A credit to the captain was that he CRUISED (literally) to get us to our first port and every port after that on time!!!!!!! AMAZING man, really!

The ports were beautiful really, especially Haiti (Labadee), and of course Jamaica was gorgeous as was the G-Town the Caymans,....however, Freeport Bahamas looked like BAYONNE and smelled like it too!

Way way too many obnoxiously rude and ill-behaved teens aboard! Never saw so many rude kids in one place...and it truly gave New Jersey a bad name.......I'm from Jersey and we would never have been allowed to act like that by our parents.......Parent you say....where the heck were they???? Exactly! They were all off drinking, at the pool, gambling, whatever, but not many at all were keeping an eye on the kids!
We were with a party of 7 including an 11 year old...and we knew where she was at every turn........we saw teens marauding around the ship the entire time, purposely bumping into people, throwing cups around, leaving pizza boxes all over, and breaking things! We saw a boy in the movie theatre laying down on the floor in the dark, who swore he didn't break the movie theatre chair he was lying in front of....which of course was miraculously BROKEN! My parents went to hop in an elevator full of teens with dripping ice creams and the entire elevator mirror was smeared with chocolate ice cream! One night my parents dined in and placed their empty plates and glasses on the tray outside their cabin....some kids came running through and kicked all of plates and glasses against the cabin door breaking them all!

I will never cruise on a ship which allows those things to happen without consequence........where the heck was security! Where were the parents...I feel for those who had to take care of those rooms, and those children, it must have been pure hell!

As for Royal Caribbean not compensating all of us for our LOST TIME and still we PAID full price.........if they don't do something about it monetarily, I say we should most definitely BOYCOTT ROYAL CARIBBEAN!

And Cruiselink stinks Royal Caribbean, get rid of them as your sub-contractor or you'll be losing a whole slew of people from the northeast hub!
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Voyager of the Seas out of Bayonne NJ Nov. 4-13

[quote="Tigger123"]Nov. 4, Sail date........Sail time: 5:00 PM.............Port: Cape Liberty, NJ

We arrived at 3:30 and we were lucky, our rep. (we booked through AAA), informed us that there was a delay and not to show up before 4ish, many more unlucky folks were never informed there was a major and I mean a MAJOR delay....some people showed up at 1:00, believing they'd be boarding 2ish.........well most of us never boarded till 9:00-12:00...we had #56, and were treated and herded just like cattle!

Why, if your rep told you not to show up before 4 did you show up at 3:30???? Makes no sense to me - especially since it was widely reported that Voyager would not return from Bermuda (due to weather conditions, no fault of their own) until 4. People gotta get off the ship before others can board you know.

The port was dirty, way way overcrowded, there was absolutely no where to sit.....most ending up on the cold hard ground...and they had incredibly rude workers (who by the way sub-contract with a company named Cruiselink out of Miami, they sub from Royal Caribbean......who by the way stink it up good), and they had 5 womens toilets for over 3500+ people!!!! They ran out of sandwiches & water, and even the vending machines were dry!!!!

Well, yes, of course, it was never meant to handle that many people for such a long period of time, so I can see that facilities weren't adequate for the situation. Again, I can excuse people who booked online or had no choice but to fly in, but I think a lot just chose to ignore warnings and just show up hoping to board early.

One porter in particular named Herman Cole (working for Cruiselink), repeatedly ran over folks while he was pushing wheelchairs...I personally witnessed 2 of them, 1 being my own husband!

OK - yes absolutely, this guy deserves to be canned!

After all the waiting, lack of food and water, we finally boarded the ship at about 10:00 securing the last bit of dining room fare for the night....again at least we made it to a meal, many many behind us had to scrounge up something once they boarded well after 11:00PM! After all that wait....Royal Caribbean had the nerve to charge us for soda and drinks on that first night!!!!!!

The one major caveat was the Royal Caribbean reps. from Miami: this is where most of us went to complain about losing 1 ENTIRE day of PAID-FOR CRUISING! We missed out on a BonVoyage Party, most missed out on the dining experience, poolside party, and any and all activities slated for that day! When you got there to complain and ask about compensation, you were told without much of an apology or heart and told with much callousness that "There will not be any compensation forthcoming from Royal Caribbean"! That was it....no NOTHING!

Again, it was NOT the fault of the cruiseline that you didn't board until 10 p.m. - read WEATHER delay - they were not permitted by Bermuda authorities to leave as scheduled due to weather. They owed you nothing. You paid for nine NIGHTS - you got nine nights.

Way way too many obnoxiously rude and ill-behaved teens aboard! Never saw so many rude kids in one place...and it truly gave New Jersey a bad name.......

I'm from New Jersey also - however - just because the cruise sailed from New Jersey, why would you assume that all teens onboard were from New Jersey?????

As for Royal Caribbean not compensating all of us for our LOST TIME and still we PAID full price.........if they don't do something about it monetarily, I say we should most definitely BOYCOTT ROYAL CARIBBEAN!

You lost a few hours - if you flew in and your flight were delayed causing you to lose a few hours of your vacation, would you boycott the airline??
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Passenger

It wasn't the FEW hours you so easily to refer to, that was the problem only..........it was the terminal, the porters......if you weren't there you couldn't know.....a woman who was from England...wanted to smoke a cigarette and because they take your passport if you are not an AMERICAN, she was not allowed out to smoke, unless she then wanted to wait in a 2 & 1/2 hour line to get back in!! Absolutely ridiculous!

Wait till Royal Caribbean starts getting all the letters and complaints...diabetics were stranded there without food, water, juice....I know I stood next to one of them!

It's not as easy as that Jeff, and it wasn't a mere few hours.....it was well over 7 hours after we should have boarded, and left.
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:03 AM
First Mate

Hi,

Real sad episode......I only have one comment for poster tigger123...
'' cape liberty never designed to handle that many people''.....Whether the ship docks at 4.00pm, reboards at 11.00pm and sails away after midnight, OR docks on time at 7.00-ish, reboards from approx 1.00-ish and sails away at 5.00pm, it's the same amount of poeple; if it can't handle them, why the heck is RCI doing turnarounds there ???!!!

Other comments are right on all front; OP is allowed a fair amount of anger, tigger123 offers the '' other side of the coin'' quite nicely, I think.
As to CruiseLink.....the sooner RCI address that issue, the better,otherwise their image will take an awful beating.

Happy sailing, all
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Beginner

Wow. I was on the flip side. The Oct 30th sailing that got detained in Bermuda and my side of it is exactly opposite of yours. We were treated extremely well and I just figured they would treat you all just as good. The activities they planned for us on Day 5.5 made us all feel like we had an extra day for our cruise. It was packed with plenty of stuff to do. They offered $100 per person to people who had to change their flights for the penalty even if you had not booked your air with RCCL. I was surprised at that. They also offered up the phone lines at Guest Relations to check on changing your air. Oh, there were some glitches and some things they could have done better but over all I was pleased and I think most people were. It was 5:45 before I got off and I think I was in the last batch of folks. Of course our experience was nothing like what you describe that you all went through.

I am really sorry your experience was so horrible. It sounds like perhaps if the situation at the Cape Liberty Port had been handled better (food, water, seating area, etc and the absence of the obnoxious porter) then you all could have taken not being reimbursed and having to loose a little of your time onboard that magnificent ship. I'm glad to see you didn't allow that horrible embarkation to ruin your entire cruise.
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the support all. None of us is looking for "Something, for nothing".
I have reported the nasty reporter to Cruiselink....and you are right about if Royal Caribbean can't handled turn-arounds at that port then, DON'T DO THEM!

At any rate, we had a beautiful cruise...albeit beat-out of a day of PAID-for cruising.

The crew was great, the captain nothing short of a miracle worker...that long delay and still got us to our ports ON-time!

No we aren't allowing it to ruin our cruise experiences....we are planning our next cruise....however, unless RCI addresses all these complaints from many others including the quality of food...to not reimbursing us or ate the very least giving something even a bottle of wine, for goodness sakes....I don't think we'll sail RCI...or out of Cape Liberty again.

Enjoy your cruises all!
Old November 26th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Passenger

Trigger, We too sailed on your cruise. Although we had been advised of the delay we decided to arrive at our normal time around 1:30 pm. We did that simply because as advid cruisers we know that the information provided by land operations is more often wrong than right. We had been told varying information and found that our TA recieved different information than us. He was advised that Voyager would sail by 7 pm, we were told it would sail on time at 5 pm but that boarding would not commence until 4pm. Obviously as you know none of the answers were correct.

I just wrote a review of our sailing but it is not posted yet this morning. I cannot really fault RCI for what occurred at the terminal under the circumstances which after all were highly unusual. As a confirmed cruise aholic, do 2 or 3 a year on various lines, this is the first time in 50 cruises that I ever saw my ship arrive this late. So I think you have to give RCI and the land staff some leeway. I do understand that by later in the evening nerves were frazzled on all sides. Personally I felt worse for those onboard that had flights or scheduled events and were stuck onboard. Good for those with no committed travel arrangements, they got extra day, harder for those that had to connect for travel.

Having been there early in the day when there were still plenty of seats and I watched truck after truck of food arrive, case after case of water and beverages get unloaded. I was also surprised that the sandwiches were very good quality. Also noted the band and clowns to help entertain. Had they been able to start boarding say at 5 all would have probably been just fine but as the hour became later and the backup became the entire ships passenger list, well, nothing would have helped.

We had priority boarding and were fortunate to be in the first groups onboard and that wasn't until 7:30 pm. We had many in our traveling group that didn't board until 10:30 or so. Yes it was horible for them but don't see that RCI could have done any better under the abnormal circumstances. Port Liberty is fashioned from existing buildings and even without a yet to built proper terminal is still an easier and better experience than boarding often is at Manhattan piers now. Right now Bayonne is hampered by having to shuttle bus everyone to the ship which hurts disembarkation more than embarkation I would think under normal circumstances. Normal embarkation you have a staggered inflow of people. Nothing staggered about disembarkation colored tags or not.

I do agree it would have been a nice gesture to have extended an onboard credit or some acknowlegment to passengers due to the unusual inconvenience. On a previous voyage on the Voyager a couple years back we missed a port or some such and the Captain simply announced a free cocktail hour at all bars. After an hour of FREE drinking just about everyone forgot where we were supposed to be anyway I was surprised to see that the issue wasn't addressed at all in any manner.

There were 800 kids on this cruise, something we knew but accepted in order to cruise with friends of ours bringing their kids along. Normally we skirt the issue by sailing when families are less likely to be onboard. We don't dislike kids, just prefer less of them when sailing. All in all for the number of kids on board Ithought it was fairly calm although yes there were unruly ones throughout the cruise. I never blame the cruiseline for that, definately parents fault, can't be sugarcoated. For whatever reason many parents that would never leave kids unsupervised so much at home suddenly abandon all responsibility once on a cruise ship. How many parents would not know where there 11 year old was at 1 am in the morning when at home? Yet not uncommon to see 11, 12, 13 year old kids partying at such an hour on a ship. And how can you expect kids suddenly released of many of their normal restrictions not to abuse that to some degree? I did see Security in areas after midnight but agree they didn't really impose to much authority unless a group was really out of hand. That too I can understand. How well do you think most parents would react to Security taking any real action against their "babies" on their cruise. I am a parent ( kids grown now ) and be honest we all know that OUR kids never do that, it must be a mistake. Cruise staff are not about to go out on a limb handling some kid even if they are a dead drunk 14 year old at 1 am.

The complaint I have about RCI is the food quality and service afforded in dining now compared to through the years. I have recently sailed Carnival twice due to convenience and price not expecting much frankly. Although service was far worse I must say that food far better than RCI. Heck even nickle and diming ratio better on Carnival than RCI now in my opinion. RCI is rapidly becoming more mass market product than Carnival in some regards. I don't see the prices reflecting that though! NCL Dawn to Florida out of NY last year ( sailed Oct and Nov ) was far better experience. 2002 sailing on Voyager a far better experience food and so forth. Really ticked me off to see FREE ice cream and fixings on Blvd replaced with paid Ben and Jerry's. Onboard revenue continues to be the main drive of RCI and most lines now.

In my humble opinion RCI is heading towards the low end cruise rapidly, I am truly saddened by that. Or maybe they figure NY/NJ crowds are not discriminating enough to notice real quality from make believe? I do notice that sailings from Florida seem to feel more attentive than NY sailings. Perhaps they think we are all from the hood?

I would be more likely booking with Celebrity ( same owners so they shouldn't be upset ) or with NCL than RCI right now. Of course would still book RCI for right itinerary, time frame ro whatever. A cruise vacation is still far better in my opinion than any other, however, Iwould not expect that to hold forever seeing current course of cruiselines.

Oh I must put in 2 points on their entertainment. Divergence based at least, certainly the ice show is a great event. But really appreciate comedy and magic shows instead of simply the standard song and dance routines in different costumes.

I presume that my review will be up in cruisemates in a few days for any that care to read it.

George in NY
Old November 26th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Beginner

Default Was on there

I was on that cruise! It wasn't like I had expected...I arrived @ 11 and got on at 7...we were #9. We went to NYC for a while and that really spared time...well It was stupid and I'm never leaving from there again!
Old November 27th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Was on there

Ray, That was the water taxi that they offered I believe free? When you returned you put directly on shuttle to ship after getting your onboard card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ92
I was on that cruise! It wasn't like I had expected...I arrived @ 11 and got on at 7...we were #9. We went to NYC for a while and that really spared time...well It was stupid and I'm never leaving from there again!
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Beginner

When I got off...I had to wait with every1 else for about 90 minutes...bc we were #9 we got on 20 minutes after they started calling numbers...yes it was the water taxi.

When on, I went to Guest Relations to switch room cards..(our family used 1 for the kids and 1 for us)...after we wanted to check out our dinning room table. But, we requested a solo for 4. But we were assigned to a party of 6. My wife had a fit, so she complained. We got our table changed and that was that. I heard they messed up the dinning room seatings for alot of ppl.

I really do think that Cape Liberty & the cruised was messed up a bit. But I stilled had a good time