Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default SOS - Before and After

I've read the article on SOS, before and after the drydock, but was curious to hear from those of you who have gone before and after. I cruised it in 5/2001 and will be going again in 12/2005, and was curious about new offerings (hoping for sushi bar, etc.). How are the bars, clubs, etc., now? Also wondering about Coco Cay and Nassau - curious to see if there are any big changes that have taken place since 2001, or things to look for.
Thanks so much..
Mariner of the Seas - September 2008
Monarch of the Seas - December 2010
Still to come:
NCL Epic - March 2013
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Passenger

Just back from SOS - 6th annual 'reunion' cruise for 3 of us. We were on the SOS last year - the final one before they started the re-do. Well, actually they started while we were still on the cruise - but that's another story.

I think the SOS is so much nicer. The biggest things I noticed were the bathrooms - finally updated and not disgusting. (I felt they had gotten quite run down) Our was beautiful with 2 granite counter tops.

Another update I really liked was the Windjammer - and yes there is an Asian 'area' up there that had sushi pretty much all the time. Even for breakfast I saw rice and vegetables in that area.

The quality of all the food seemed exceptionally good this cruise - don't know if that's typical, but we thought it was great. The pizza place was great - Johnny Rockets was great (we had a coupon for one free meal, but I think I would do it anyway). The dining room I thought was beautiful. We were on the 3 day and only went once -- somehow the other 2 nights got away from us and we ate elsewhere - but weren't disappointed.

Coco Cay was just as beautiful. They did or are in the process of enlarging the beach down by Coconut Willies and lost a lot of palm trees. But they have started replanting and there are still lots of hammocks - they used poles in the ground for them if need be. We left early because a storm was coming in, but what I saw I liked.

Nassau is never a port we particularly like - usually just stay on the ship and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Any other questions, let me know. I thought the ship looked great and we had a great time. Too fast, as always.
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Familiar Face

Awesome! We're so excited about seeing the different changes. I was actually impressed last time we took the SOS - due in part to it being my first ever cruise, and also due in part to it being in service for as long as it had been and still looking pretty good. Glad to hear it is cleaned up, however.
Thanks for your reply

Oh, just remembered another question. We're in Crown & Anchor (I think it's gold status, this will just be our 2nd RCCL cruise). What sorts of coupons/savings do you get for gold status? I'm figuring it's a low amount (which is fine, the more we cruise, the better it will get), but I was curious where the coupons were for on the ship.

Thanks again
Still to come:
NCL Epic - March 2013
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Passenger

meggie, when are you cruising?
my family and i will be on the SOS 12/12-12/16. First cruise so we are all pretty pumped!
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Familiar Face

UVA, what a shame! We'll be coming back the day you leave!
SOS was my first cruise (together, hubbie had been on a couple before). We had such an awesome time on the SOS and decided to come back and see the changes that had been made. I hope y'all have a great time! We can't wait to go..
Still to come:
NCL Epic - March 2013
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Passenger

Just back from SOS Friday 11-18-05. We were on it Nov. 1st last year. The improvements are great. Nice carpets, food much better and general appearance so much improved. A great ship for first time cruiser or for a few days to get away.

Nassau about the same. We tried glass bottom boat this time and was impressed. You get to see a lot of famous people's homes, notabably, Oprah and Michael Jordon. They are right on water front. Beautiful area you go through to get to area where you view fish and reefs.
Sovereign Of Sea 2003
Adventure of Sea 2004
Adventure of Sea 2005
Radiance of Sea 2005
Sovereign Of Sea 2005
Carnival Fantasy 4-1-06
Brilliance 12/1/06
Sovereign Of Sea 2-12-07
Freedom Of Sea 5-13-07
NCL Pride of America Hawaii 9-7-07
Majesty Of Sea 12-1-07
Mariner Of Sea 4-27-08
Vision Of Sea Nov -3-08
Majesty Of Sea 1-24-10
Oasis Of Sea 4-24-10
Enchantment Of Sea 6-16-2011 (coming)
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Familiar Face

David,
I was on it in 2001 and thought it was great then, so I'm thrilled that it's supposed to be such a big improvement. The 9th can't get here soon enough!! 8)
Still to come:
NCL Epic - March 2013