Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:28 PM
Passenger

Default Missed port due to Gamma

I was on The Rhapsody last week and and unhappy to say while it was a very nice cruise the Weather did not cooperate. It rained while we were in Key West and Grand Caymen. After those stops the captain assured us that we would have clear Weather for our stop in Cozumel the next day. Well to our dissapointment the captain did try to anchor the ship in Cozumel but we were told that due to the unsettled waters from Tropical storm Gamma we would be unable to visit that port and we would now have 2 days at Sea before returning to Galveston.

I feel that the captain should have been able to predict that weather better and reroute the ship to a different port. I just called RCCL to see if any compensation would be offered and they just simply said NO. Has anyone else experienced this and if so did the cruise line offer any type of compensation at all?
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Sorry you missed a port. Last Sept we flew from California to Orlando with Hurricane Frances forming and maybe coming towards Florida. We cruised to all our ports staying ahead of her. She finally hit Florida, hard, but she hovered there and hovered there for days. We were 2 days late getting back to port and then we had to go to Miami instead of back to Port Canaveral because it wasn't deep enough for the cruise ship to get in with all the sand being shifted. No one knew when she would hit Florida and no one definately didn't know she would hover for 2 days....How could a Captain know that? How could your Captain know or predict the weather? There might have been another port to go to but timing and regulations play into that. I think your compensation was great food, entertainment and your safety. Maybe you should get your port fees for Cozumel back so talk to your TA about that. We were scheduled to go to Cozumel next Monday but instead we are going to Costa Maya because there is no pier and only 1 ship per day is allowed to tender in...weather permitting.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Please take a look at a map and tell me what alternative port your captain could take you to that was not in the path of the storm?
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM
First Mate

You are lucky you only missed one port. We were on the Rhapsody in October and we missed two ports. We went to Tampa for one of our missed ports. You should have heard the complaining about that on our ship. Frankly, I was glad we were safe and not put in harms way. I always look at it as thats the chance we take cruising during hurricane season. Plus rather than get upset and pout the whole time I enjoy myself. We had a wonderful cruise. From what I understand no one received compensation on our cruise either. I did not even check into it because I did not think we deserved anything.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I feel that the captain should have been able to predict that weather better and reroute the ship to a different port. I just called RCCL to see if any compensation would be offered and they just simply said NO. Has anyone else experienced this and if so did the cruise line offer any type of compensation at all?

We have very highly paid meteorologists on the news every night that cannot accurately predict storms - what makes you think the captain could? What port do you think you could have gone to that (1) was close enough so as not to disrupt the schedule, (2) was not in the path of the same storm and (3) would have had the capacity to handle an additional large cruise ship that was not charted to be there? Then reread your cruise contract regarding compensation. I think you will have answered your own questions. Oh, and, yes, many, many people who sail during hurricane season have experienced this.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Here we go again........

Should i refer to the tired of post

or

Say happy faces people happy faces

I just do not understand why people get so upset. I am sure there are a ton of post about crusing in hurricane season and what could happen to your port of call.......

I am sorry but get over it
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:55 PM
Admiral

I agree with the previous poster...there is always the risk of missing ports when cruising. If you cannot accept this possibility, perhaps cruising is not for you.

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas