Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Familiar Face

Default Costa Maya- need feedback:likes/dislikes?

Hi,

I just called RCI and was told that we will be going to Costa Maya instead of Cozmel on our Granduer cruise on Dec. 17th.
I figure it beats another day at sea and I have never been to Costa Maya before anyway (been to Cozmel twice).

So, what do ya'll think? Anyone else been there yet this year after all the hurricanes? How's the shopping?

Thanks!
Mmketeer
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:18 PM
First Mate

Costa Maya is an unusual port. The cruise pier and adjacent area have been carved out of the area. There is a long pier that has a trolley shuttle that will take you to the shore where there is a shopping area, swimming pool with swim up bar, and they have live performances there, too. (I heard about them, but didn't see them.) There is a beach area there but it didn't look very inviting to me. If you take a cab ($3) you can go to the small fishing village of Majahual. (Do a search on webshots to see pictures.) There is a nice beach there and places to get good food, such as conch something-or-other. We pre-booked an excursion to the Mayan ruins through http://www.chacchobenruins.com/ and had a wonderful time. We went to the beach afterwards and really relaxed.

Here is a site w/ some pictures of the beach: http://mayanbeachgarden.com/Mahajual.html

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Passenger

To tell you the honest truth, Costa Maya wasn't the most exciting port. We much preferred Cozumel. When you get off the ship, there isn't too much to see in the immediate area. There is a pool, but it's in a really weird sport- right in the middle of the marketplace. And I agree with the last poster, the beach isn't inviting. It's actually very rocky.
My husband and I got off the ship, walked around for half an hour, and went back onto the ship for some relaxation by the pool. We still had a great time.
As for shopping, they had a few stores selling knick knacks. They also had a couple of jewellry stores recommended by the ship (these stores can be found at almost every port though).
Maybe you want to try an excursion while in Costa Maya.
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Passenger

Personally, I thought Costa Maya was an armpit, but others seemed to love the place. You have a touristy shopping area at the port, but we walked the shoreline into town and it was less than delightful. It's one of those places that if I go there again, I'll stay on the ship, but I read in other threads where people said the same thing about St. Lucia, and I found that port to be beautiful.
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Unless you love shopping this is port where you should take a tour or go to Majauhal (sp). On the first trip there we rented a golf cart and drove to Majauhal which is about 2 miles away. They have a very nice beach there and some trinket shops. I found the vendors there very pushy when walking along the street, but they left you alone when on the beach. The second trip there we took the Uvero Beach tour. I wasn't all that thrilled with it. The bottom of the ocean at the beach was covered in sea grass and it was very crowded. The drinks were ok and we just hung out and relaxed. The ruins are a poplular tour and I've heard good things about the Tequila Beach Club.

Hope this helps.

Darcy
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:12 AM
First Mate

Costa Maya is nothing more than a pier next to the jungle.

In my humble opinion another day at sea would be preferable to a stop in Costa Maya.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM
First Mate

The day we went the water was so rough it took two tries to dock the ship. But we went on our snorkeling trip anyhow--it was an A/C bu wit an Eng speaking guide--very professional & we got to see some really rustic parts of the area including one local school--the snorkeling was OK but water rough. There is a beautiful protected reef..The pier area is a created pace like a small shopping mall with a big swimming pool--it is attractive but very hot...I'd suggest an excursion or trip into the real town or plan to visit for half a day--buy some souveniers etc. Not quite Cozumel but better than a day at sea if weather is OK
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM
First Mate

I love Costa Maya and can;t wait to get back there in January. The last time we were there we went on a snorkeling trip off the beach, (not the best experience) but I think you take your chances booking trips anyway. Then we went back to the ship showered and went back out to the stores.
This time we are going to do the Beach Party, w/ Island Marketing. Its much smaller than Cozumel, but I think its a great port. But thats all it is a port, built just for cruise ships. The surrounding areas are desolate. I guess you will have to make your own judgement call on this one. I would be interested in hearing your comments after you return.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Everyone has different likes / dislikes, expectations, etc. when it comes to cruise ports. I have been to Costa Maya a couple of times and wouldn't mind at all to go back. Granted, it's not a Cozumel or St. thomas but to me was an interesting port. Personally I can't stand St. Thomas. If I wanted to shop for jewelry I would stay home and go to the local mall.
But, thats just me.

The first time to Costa Maya we took an all day tour to some Mayan ruins. An added bonus to that was getting to see some of the real countryside away from the tourist areas and found it to be beautiful.

The second time we stayed around the port area , watched a couple of the free folkloric shows , walked the beach, etc. We met 3 couples from England from an NCL ship and spent some time chatting with them which was very enjoyable.

Just keep an open mind and you may be pleasantly surprised about Costa Maya. Enjoy and be happy to be cruising, regardless where you go.
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:28 PM
Admiral

that's what I really like about these boards...one can get a really well rounded view from different perspectives, but it will never really answer your question untill you actually go there and see for yourself
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:54 PM
Passenger

We really enjoyed it. We booked a beach break with http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com and it was excellent, open bar and a great beach. Since we also will be moved to Costa Maya again we are either going to do the new Beach Resort Getaway or Reef snorkeling tour. We considered the chacchoben mayan ruins but I think we'd prefer the beach
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Beginner

Default Beachparty/Goldrush

Did you book the beach party in advance with a credit card

This company has something going on each port and I was a bit scared to put all my eggs in one basket.....
Old December 24th, 2005, 05:28 PM
First Mate

I found the people in Costa Maya to be very nice. Not very pushy to sell like in Cozumel.

It's nice to get off the ship and stretch your legs and I found they had some nice shops. Even had a great pina colada.

It's not the prettiest in landscape, but their hospitality is refreshing for the Western Caribbean.

Don't write it off until you at least try it.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old December 25th, 2005, 09:53 AM
First Mate

If anyone would like to see some pictures, I just uploaded some to webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/album/527685047YCNWgf
I hope you enjoy them.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100