Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Default after reading all the cruise forums this is what I found

I am going on the Radiance of the sea on January 2, 2006 got a terrific rate on a balcony and it is a first for me with one and am looking forward to it. The Radiance looks like a great ship.
1) Food quality-From the forums it seems the food quality is subject to alot of criticism. I am in the food business and when you feed 2100 people it is difficult to prepare the food as a 5 star restuarant. With that in mind, I will probaly eat at least once in Portofino and the chop house. Banquet food is just that and if I want a better experience then Cascades then I have the option to do so. I was on the Zuiderdam last year and ate at their speciality restaurtant and it was a plus for us and the meal was fantastic.
2) Cabin size-As I mentioned that I have a balcony and even if the room is small I can sit outside and enjoy the sea. Not expecting a hotel size room I have cruised enough to know rooms are small.
3)Read one post that the ship was dirty-With 2100 passengers coming on and off the ship continually one would expect the ship to show some wear and tear. Carpet stains, some worn furniture. If my room is clean, the public spaces are in good shape that is all one could ask for. I know the ship is going into dry dock soon so some of those issues will be taken care of.
3) Ports of call- It makes no difference where we go it is all about the cruise. I know we are going to Casa Maya and Grand Cayman. Casa Maya does not interest me at all so I will be perfectly happy just staying on the ship and enjoying her. I might do a excrusion of Grand Cayman.
4)The Radiance class-Most everyone in the forums believes this to be a super ship with many nice touches and am looking forward to being on her.
5) My own personal view was that I thought the Radiance was better quality then Carnaval in reading many of the post and being on Carnaval it seems they are close. Which is neither bad nor good. I thought the food on Carnavel was tasteless. I have a feeling it might be the same on Radiance. As I mentioned I do have other options. I have also been on Hal twice and thought the food was good. If food were my only option for being on a cruise then I would of chose Celebrity. It is all about the cruise experience overall. The Radiance seems to have more then the Sensation and it also looks like a much nicer ship, it also looks better then the Zuiderdam which I found to be lacking in really nice spaces like the Solarium.

So after reading most of what is on the forum it is all subjective and you have to make the best of your own time that your there, which I intend to do. It is a first for me on RCl and it is a first for a balcony that is big plus as well as getting an unbelieveable rate. 6 days away is better then days at work in my book and I plan on enjoying myself. I do want to thank all the comments from the forum because I did learn some valuable things about what to expect and some great tips. So what it comes down to is my experience when I go and I am going to have a great time.
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:46 AM
First Mate

Send a message via ICQ to Cynda
Default Radiance

We were on the Radiance last May...was Captain Kents' farewell cruise, we had a wonderful time ! You will be happy with the balcony room, and the food was very good. The ship is beautiful, the staff entertaining, always polite and friendly. We found the service to be above average.
If we had to pick on something, it would be the entertainment, it was not the quality we were expecting.
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Beginner

thanks for your reply, am quite excited about going.
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Please post when you are back from your cruise and let me know how you feel the food compared.

I was on Mariner of the Seas back in Oct. and I was disapointed in the food-except for Chops which was great. I also hated the fact that the ship was packed with wall to wall people. On sea days the pool area was horrible also the buffet and Johnny Rockets were super crowded.

Now I did find the entertainment good quality-but I will be honest with you. since I don't rock climb, inline skate or ice skate-I would just as soon be on Carnival. As far as I was concerned that was the only differance in the two lines. That does not mean I feel Carnival is better-what I am saying is I do not care to cruise either RCCL or Carnival again.

I am trying out Celebrity in Feb. to see if I care for them. I am going on an older ship so I don't expect great things but if the food and entertainment is at least as good as it was on Mariner-I will be willing to go on another nicer Celebrity cruise. I just felt Mariner, to be supposably one of RCCL's nicer ships, was a big disapointment.

I know the radience class is in some's views nicer then voyager class. Maybe it is- at least it want be the wll to wall people thing like the voyager class ships. (we had 3600 people on our cruise not 2200 people) I think since you have done HAL and Carnival you will be able to tell me how this class of ship compares to them. I have been on both HAL and Carnival. I have also been on Princess and Disney. So I would like to hear your comparisions after your cruise.
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Sounds like we both like the same things about cruising. On this trip I had a chance to go on Explorer with a balcony and decided that being with 3300 people was to big. My experiences on the Hal ships were all good, and I do like them. I would never do Carnaval again. It is just not my style and as you mentioned I will not be rock climbing nor skating either. The Radiance seems to have some nice touches. I was concerned when I read all the comments about the food, it sounded very much like Carnaval but at least Radiance has two speciality restaurants and I intend to use them.
I did try to book Hal but they were all sold out on the date that I wanted to go. I would like to try Celebrity maybe one day.
The main reason for booking this cruise was that I was able to get a very good rate on a balcony less then $600 PP and I knew that for January that was an excellent rate and there seems to be many positives about the ship. I will write a full review on my experience on her when I return I all ready know that my expectations are in check and know that the food portion of the cruise will be medicore and going with that in mind I will have a good time and you know I am ok with that. Thank you for your reply
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:09 PM
First Mate

Great attitude Dale! I am sure you will have a great time because you want to.

I think some people will find fault with anything. There is never a perfect cruise or a perfect cruiseline. Frankly I consentrate on what was good on a cruise instead of what was bad.

I always learn a lot from this website. You just have to remember that every cruise and cruiseline will be different for different people.

Like you said a week on a cruise beats a week at work anyday!
Old December 4th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Passenger

We just returned from the Brillance which is a Radiance class ship, and in our opinion it was great! Sure, the food could have been better, we had better on HAL but all in all I would certainly do that cruise again, I was not ready to get off! The ship was clean, in good repair, could always find a deck chair and the staff went out of their way. We went to Chops twice, never did make it to Portofino's unfortunately. Thinking about taking the Adventure out of San Juan next October on a back to back, Voyager class, but I would like to try it. Happy cruising!
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:57 PM
First Mate

About Costa Maya: We enjoyed this port. We took a tour to some Mayan ruins with a local company http://www.chacchobenruins.com/ . David and Ivan do a tremendous jog. We then went to the beach at Majahual. It was very relaxing. If nothing else, you could grab a cab and go to Majahual for a look around.

Whatever you do, have a great time.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HI Dale,
I just know you will enjoy and even love Radiance, absolutely beautiful ship and the cabins were well laid out and not really too small. Some of the older Royal Caribbean ships do have rather small cabins, but these were very nice and I like the sofa and table as you walk in, rather than by the door out to the balcony.

As for the whole crusie, I'm sure you will have a ball, how can you not and you are going with a good additude. We had no complaints on the food at all, love the windjammer cafe too.

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Have noticed that most of the comments on food put Holland above RCL which I agree with and Celebrity also above RCL.Since most reviews revolve arround food the above two will stand above RCL.If entertainment is important stay with RCL however service and overall cruise experience try the above two lines.AS one states any of them beats staying at home.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale
Sounds like we both like the same things about cruising. On this trip I had a chance to go on Explorer with a balcony and decided that being with 3300 people was to big. My experiences on the Hal ships were all good, and I do like them. I would never do Carnaval again. It is just not my style and as you mentioned I will not be rock climbing nor skating either. The Radiance seems to have some nice touches. I was concerned when I read all the comments about the food, it sounded very much like Carnaval but at least Radiance has two speciality restaurants and I intend to use them.
I did try to book Hal but they were all sold out on the date that I wanted to go. I would like to try Celebrity maybe one day.
The main reason for booking this cruise was that I was able to get a very good rate on a balcony less then $600 PP and I knew that for January that was an excellent rate and there seems to be many positives about the ship. I will write a full review on my experience on her when I return I all ready know that my expectations are in check and know that the food portion of the cruise will be medicore and going with that in mind I will have a good time and you know I am ok with that. Thank you for your reply
Well if you got a balcony for $600 a person you can put up with not so good food-just eat more in the specialty restuarants. I had an atruim cabin on Mariner and I DID enjoy that-it was nice-we had a bay window that looked over the promande-shop area. that area was super crowded in the evening-so I had a much better view of the parades from there.

Now those parades are more for the kiddies-I think really the voyager class was designed for families-not middle aged couples with grown children like my hubby and I. That is why I would like to know if you have a better experience on the radience class ship.

I may be willing to try that class of ship out. I would even go back on good old Sovereign with her dinky cabins too-I just WILL NOT do another voyager class ship. Wall to wall people is not for me.

By the way the estimate of 3300 people is a full ship of TWO to a cabin. Obviously on my cruise a lot of cabins had more then 2 people since we had 3600 people. three hundered LESS people would have made that cruise more enjoyable.
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:51 PM
First Mate

Have a nice trip--with your great attitude I am sure you will. We have only been on Brilliance in R class but found the layout to be just fine & very much enjoyed Chops & portofino as well as the buffet..Main dr was typical Royal fare--not great but no one starved! Also treat yourself to a visit to the private spa area---it is really great---steam rooms & heated couches looking our over the sea! very relaxing!
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Dale I just wanted to remind you since you cruise in a couple of weeks now to please post back here on your thoughts of the ship and the food.

I am hoping the food will be better then my Mariner of the Seas cruise and I figured you may be right-maybe with a ship with that many passengers that the food qaulity is going to suffer.

My husband and I are still considering Jewel of the Seas for a reposioning cruise from Europe for our 25th anniversary. The price is so much better the Celebrity Constellation and the Princess cruise we looked at. We could get a balcony cabin for the price of an inside on the other ships and as we want to spend a few days in England too- the price is a big factor.

I was just really disapointed in the Mariner. I felt the food on her was not near as good as it had been on my 2 Sovereign cruises.