Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Passenger

Default Missing Suitcase

We cruised on the Vision last week. Had a really great time until we got off the ship in L.A. Only one of our suitcases was in the holding room and the other was missing. We spent about half an hour looking through all the rooms on the chance that it had just been misplaced but no luck. Since we had to get to the airport to catch our flight, we completed a "Personal Property Report" and left without the suitcase.

Unfortunately we weren't going directly home, but to Las Vegas for 2 nights. So we were missing most of our clothes and had to purchase some things.

That was on Sunday. On Monday I called the 1-800 number at the bottom of the Personal Property Report and was advised that someone had taken our suitcase by mistake. RCCL said that they would have that person phone us Wednesday morning to arrange shipping of our suitcase.

By Wednesday afternoon I had not heard from anyone so I called the 1-800 number again. I explained the situation to the RCCL rep. and was told that there was nothing on my file and he would look into it and call me back. When he returned my call he advised me that they did not know where the bag is, but he was working on finding it for me. That is where I stand right now.

Now, I am not thinking that I deserve a free cruise because of a lost bag. Like I have said on other threads "Crap happens". However, I would like to see some changes made in the way they operate the baggage situation. The way the system works now is that when you get off the ship you can grab any suitcase that you please and walk right on out of there with a bag(s) that don't belong to you. Accidentally or intentionally. We were given colored luggage tags to attach to our bags. I completed these tags with our name, address, phone. Maybe they should have four or five people at the exits making sure that the tags on the bags match your identification. I entrusted my bags into the care of RCCL and now one of my bags is missing and I am not happy about that.

It did occur to us when we were searching the baggage rooms that someone may have taken our bag in error, but, there were only a couple of bags left in our color room and none of them looked remotely like ours. BTW my suitcases are well marked and it truly does make me wonder how anyone could have mistaken my bag for theirs. For all I know RCCL could be just blowing smoke at me. They may have misplaced it and just don't want to admit it. At this point I just don't know. What I do know is that I WANT MY BAG!

PS We are cruising on the Serenade in January and I intend to wheel my luggage with me to breakfast on the last morning and then wheel it off the ship myself. It will probably take me a while to trust them with my things again.
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Red,
Any chance you took out travel insurance? If so, I think you have a valid claim through them. You may get little compinsation throuth the cruiseline if you keep pushing it, but I would make a claim with the insurance company if you had some. If not, may-be next cruise get some basic travel insurance, it covers things just like this.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Passenger

Finally got my suitcase back yesterday. 15 days after we got off the ship. It went from L.A. to Arizona to Miami to Toronto to Winnipeg. Too bad my bag can't collect frequent flyer miles.

Now that I have my bag back, I am going to register my displeasure with RCCL. In today's security conscious environment, it truly is disturbing how easily your bags can be lost, misplaced, tampered with after you leave them in the hallway of your cruiseship. I think that this issue needs to be addressed by the cruiselines. I will probably be beating my head against a wall, but there is no harm in trying.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM
First Mate

Glad you got your bags--but I agree 100% that there should more control of bags-- This is a big personal pet peeve ofine. Used to be at airlines you had receipts & had to show that they matched the luggage before you could leave with them--not anymore... Everyone is in such a rush to turn things around that no one checks anything & people are very careless... On return from a cruise to NYC one of our bags with a distinctive orange band was missing. I spotted an elderly man wheeleng it along with other lugage--oblivious to my pleas to slow down I had to practially wrestle it from him--he just wasn't grapsing that it was my bag he was about to get to his limo with---when I finally got hold of the bag he seem very annoyed & put out. can you imagine!
Recently had luggage lost (all bags) by SW airline from Islip (small place)to Seattle--stuff never left the airport. If we did not call every half hour & beg it probably would still be sitting there--luckily it arrived in the middle of the night so we had clothes for our trip. There does need to be a better system--they had no way to computer track it--they just sit & wait for it to turn up someplace!! I am packing differently for Hawaii & only wish we had gone two days ahead instead of one to catch the cruise...more time for bags to turn up!
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

May-be I'm missing something here, but don't you have to check your bags in with the airline yourself? I've always had to do that??

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Yes, we checked the luggage in with Southwest's staff @ curbside. They apparently never put them on the conveyor belt to get them down to the plane for the flight. Then nobody seemed to be able to tell us anything at our destination. If it wasn't for the fact that we are personal friends with the airport manager @ ISP who took it upon himself to track them down they never would have arrived!

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
First Mate

What we learned is that when the bags don't show in your arrival city --they wait for subsequent flights from your location & after all those bags are claimed they see what's left on the carousel & hope those are yours---great system..we finally persuaded someone to look around the home airport & that's when they realized our bags & those of a few others were still sittiing there--they claimed it was a belt failure! Go figure--they never even made it on the plane. We fly about ten times per yr & never had a problem but now we are wiser & more nervous! Ithink systems could be mproved for picking up the bags aftre the cruise & at the airport that would not slow things down. I would also trade speed for more certainty....
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:57 PM
Passenger

In today's mail I received a lovely card of apology from the couple who took our bag in error. I thought that was a very nice gesture on their part.
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Admiral

We've always tried to carry everything in a carry on. One for my husband and then one for myself. The problem is:

1. If you go on an extended cruise (7days+)...you can't get your tux or evening clothes in just your carry on...we've really tried.

2. Gifts and other items bought on the cruise ususally go in additional bag/luggage tote. (more bags!)

We're schedule for two 10 day+ cruises in 2006..and just hate the idea of having to check in any luggage! We've been trying to avoid it for years.

At this point, it would seem our only alterative is not to bring any formal wear. I 'll buy something on the ship, and my husband will have to rent a tux. (these are not good alteratives!)

Any packing suggestions GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

BTW: ON our last Celebrity cruise...we were told that we could NOT board the ship unless we checked in our carry on bags, so we did...the baggage area looked really a mess and we can see how easily it is to have your luggage lost. You are right...there has to be a better method!

Also have you any of you noticed, that when you go to pick up your luggage from RCCI and Celebrity cruises, there is NO ONE there to help you if you can't find your luggage, OR if someone walks off with 10 bags not theirs, no one, nothing, zip! Just all this luggage in one big hall...(I could be wrong...we just have never seen anyone, ever)

...We thought that ALL luggage had to be put out the night before, even carry ons. Any clarifications welcomed.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Passenger

Fieldmouse
In September saw several with airline overhead sized carrying off themselves. couple in front of us very rude swinging them around hitting everyone. Hate that.

I have before taken "disposable " clothing undies, pjs couple things that are on last legs and ready to be thrown away and more room for items bought. and dont give a flip if some of my shoes arent perfect for every outfit to save on multiple shoes. Use the philosphy of I'm not seeing these people again I' take a dressy , comfort & flip flops. Have a couple really easy wash and overnite dry tops. I may be desperate enough at times to pay for some laundry on long cruises. Would balance out buying extra clothes to take and laundry when I got home. I didnt see enough tuxes to warrent renting one IMO.
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Default Frogfuzz

Frogfuzz:

Thanks for the suggestions...good idea regarding disposable undies etc. Might try that!
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Losing a piece of luggage is always my biggest travel fear. With so much luggage looking the same I stenciled some designs on our suitcases. This way it looks different from all the other luggage. We were on the Vision also and had a hard time finding one piece of luggage. Finally found it in the corner of the room.
Jan