Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Passenger

Default Best time of year to cruise?

My Mom wants to go on a cruise in the worst way, and of course, I would love for her to go. My husband and I have been on RCCL twice and have never really felt anything. However, my mom is very frightened she will get sea sick. The last time my husband and I went was last November during Thanksgiving and I found that it was a bit more rought during that time, then during the April cruise we did prior to that. Does anyone find that there is a better time of the year that is less choppy than a different time of the year? Also, the first time we went we were Western Carribean, and the next time was Eastern. Didn't know if that would make a difference either, so if the itinerary would make a difference any suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks all, and Happy Holidays.
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Captain

My Mom has cruised with me many times and has advanced vertigo. She takes her meds coupled with the great stabilizers on all the newer ships and she has almost no problems (never gotten sick but had to take the mega pill to feel better on a couple of occasions). You can always have her try a 3 day "sampler cruise" too, if you are close to a port that has them.
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Auggiemom.......we have cruised in late April twice, May, June (3), Aug. and Nov. I also get motion sickness, so am always concerned about that. From my experience, the best times have been late April (after spring breaks and school vacations are over) and May, with the one in Nov. being the worse in terms of weather and the roughness of the seas. The smoothest cruises have been the southern ones out of San Juan on very large ships in late spring, the worst was Western in Nov. on a small ship. Also, it pays to pick your cabin wisely...lower in the ship and center. That is the best in terms of motion felt in the cabin itself. Have never cruised in the winter because of living in the Northeast and not wanting to take a chance with flying and the weather. My first was a 3 day to test it out and I fell in love with cruising, so if you pick a good ship...and there are so many to choose from, and a calmer time of year, I think your Mom will enjoy it so much and want to go every year! Don't know her age, but I took my first one at 61, and now have done 8 and can't wait to plan the next. Get her out there, and make some wonderful family memories!
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Passenger

I have found Western Caribbean smoother than Eastern. Also spring time is better. Late Summer and fall are the worst times. This is huricane season.

But with all that said most of today's ships have stabilizers and cost in the millions. The captain tries very hard to keep her in smooth waters. If your mom gets car sick then she will probably get sick on any ship. But if she doesn't then she will be O.K. I personally like inside cabins on a lower deck near the center of the sbhip. Also get on deck and breath in that salt air. Also eat something keep something i n your stomach. Stay away from greasy food unless you normally eat greasy foods.

Just go and enjoy. I am 59 and have been on 17 cruises and have loved them all.

Don
Old December 26th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Thank you to everyone.