Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:24 PM
First Mate

Default Just back from Jewel of the Seas BTB East/West Carib, any ?s

I just came back from my first back-to-back cruise on the Jewel of the Seas.

Any questions on doing a back to back or on the "wonderful" Jewel? Would be glad to try and answer to those who care.

The weather was absolutely fabulous and so was the ship.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Passenger

We are thinking about doing the 8 day cruise on Jewel sometime in the Spring of 2007. This will be my Mom's first cruise (she is 61) and she is a little nervous about getting sea sick...I myself have cruised twice before and had not problems. Did you feel the Jewel move much? How about the ship itself? Clean with friendly people would make me happy. I hear so much negativity on this board sometimes, and people fret over the small stuff. We just want a 'happy' pleasant vacation. We are doing the Eastern route, so any help on picking shore excursions would be fantastic too. Thanks for all the info. The Jewel of the Seas looks like a beautiful ship. She is the same class as the Radiance, which is what we sailed last time and I loved it!!
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Admiral

I was wondering about the food on her. i see you have done a voyager class ship-I was on MOS in Oct. and the food was not very good-pretty much tasteless ecept for Chops which ofcourse was great.

One person has told me they felt this was because the ship is so huge and the masses of meals that are being made-that does make sense to me-because the food on my 2 Sovereign cruises was much better. I am hoping you could give me a comparision.
Old December 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to eddiehaskell
Default jewel questions

cruz crazy, My family and I are planning to sail on the jewel o f the seas this fall and we have a couple of questions? Firstly how was the food? can you order lobster at chops grille? I keep hearing how the menus are very limited and the food is very bland? I am reading on one of the sites that there is a noise issue on deck 9 front right that could be attributed to the spa? They say the sould of scratching metal, plumbing noises and flushing was your cabin clost to that area? Any tips for that ship would be great thankyou ted antoneskou tedyrama@comcast.net
Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have the same questions, especially about the food. This will be our first cruise on a Radiance-class ship. (see below) We've sailed three times on Voyager-class and the food was very good, although we think Celebrity has the edge in the food dept. In general, any food I don't have to cook or clean up after is wonderful. lol We've never been to a 5-star and maybe not even to a 4-star restaurant, so we are not food snobs. Just curious about your food opinions.

1/12/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/18/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/3/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/8/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/3/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/19/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:17 PM
First Mate

You are all in for treat if you haven't been on RCL's Radiance class. It's my favorite ship that they offer.

The Jewel of Seas is new and I think much nicer than the Voyager class mega ships which I have been on as well. She's a beautiful nautical looking ship. The bars served great drinks, the champagne bar and schooner bar are great. They have two self-leveling pool tables and we even played pool, they really do work.

If coffee is your thing, I have to have a good latte, they have a Seattle's Best area and when you buy six you get one free. Good deal for me since I like better coffee than the ship offers.

The Windjammer is set up nice with different food stations. I think the Seaview cafe on deck 11 is not as good as it used to be, but try it at least once. Don't bother with the crepes they make by the Solarium, but the wraps are good.

Dining room food: I found it to be pretty good, but of course not as good as Celebrity which is superb to me. The chilled soups are excellent. The beef was very good and so was the fish dishes. Keep in mind if you don't like it, send it back and order something else. I had 14 nights of the Jewel food, and found something I liked every night. I asked the waiter what he suggested and he was usually right on the mark.

Specialty restaurants: Went to Portofinos twice and Chops once. If you had to choose one night I would go to Chops. Sorry they do not offer lobster. They had salmon, beef (different ways), lamb and veal. The sides come family style, but they had a nice selection.

Of course Portofinos is nice if you like Italian food. I like to order a beef dish and order a one pasta dish to share with the others.

Room Service: Did only breakfast and it was good. Order the omelets though (real eggs). They will call you before they bring it. Have some dollar bills stashed in the drawer for tips.

Itinerary: The Eastern Caribbean itin was great. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maartin, Antigua and Nassau was on my itin. I have been to these islands before, but not really a beach person, but if you like the beach look into St. Thomas and St. Maartin.

For Jewelry shopping I think St. Maartin has better prices, but you have more selection in St. Thomas. Antigua has some nice shops as well. The only excursion we did in St. Thomas was a private 40' sailboat/snorkeling trip out of the Red Hood Marina. If interested it was the www.sailwinifred.com.

I would suggest in St. Maartin to do the ship's excursion where they offer a bus tour to the French side you pick up a catamaran and sail back to the ship. It's a nice way to see the island.

Western itin is Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Cayman. Key West is the best port (I even got married there 16 years ago, so it's dear to my heart). Cozumel is up and running, but you will be tendered since the pier got heavily damaged. The best shop is Los Cinco Soles. I would just take a taxi there. Nice jewelry, onyx, 200 kinds of tequila and if you bake you must buy their vanilla. They can be a bit pushy in Cozumel but not in this store.

Costa Maya was okay. They built a new pavillion for the cruise passengers, lots of shopping and there's a huge built in pool in the middle. Sorry I didn't get off the ship in Grand Cayman since I had been there before, but I know they have some great snorkeliing.

I was in a D1 Superior Balcony on deck 10 midship port side. The ship was very steady and I didn't feel it rock and roll at all. We had beautiful weather so the seas should be calm this time of year. if you get seasick, consider a cabin on decks 3 or 4, less rolling there, so I've heard.

My cabin was under the pool and the one night they had a buffet and I did hear chairs moving and music, but it didn't bother me.

The Jewel is a Jewel and I would definately go on her again. The mega ships are not my forte anymore. I'm a Celebrity fan, but if I were to choose a RCL ship "the Jewel is the one" I would pick again.

Happy cruising.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I see you, too, are sticking with RCI and Celebrity. This summer we are going on Jewel (and Radiance-class) for the first time. Glad you liked the food. We loved the Explorer and Adventure, but think like you do that Celebrity has a bit of an edge in the food dept. Our cruise last year on the Galaxy was the best yet and I wasn't sure how we would like a smaller ship--but it IS Celebrity after all and it was wonderful. I joined in a lot of shipboard activities--trivia games, bridge in the Champagne bar on sea days port days when we were not on an excursion. One evening i even let the activity hostess pull me up to the mic for karaoke. In the evening DH finally joined me in the evening trivia/music games and had a ball, even though he is not a "joiner" per se. We never laughed so much--the activity staff were hilarious and the shows were wonderful. We are hoping to take Galaxy to the Med. in summer '07.
I'd love to to a back to back, but doubt DH will ever want to fork over that much $$$at once, especially now that he's retired. Except for '03, he hasn't been willing to do 2 cruises a year, but hope springs eternal. lol

1/12/02 Explorer E. Carib. Got us hooked on cruising.
1/18/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/3/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/8/04 Adventure S. Carib
2/3/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/19/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Crazy
You are all in for treat if you haven't been on RCL's Radiance class. It's my favorite ship that they offer.

The Jewel of Seas is new and I think much nicer than the Voyager class mega ships which I have been on as well. She's a beautiful nautical looking ship. The bars served great drinks, the champagne bar and schooner bar are great. They have two self-leveling pool tables and we even played pool, they really do work.

If coffee is your thing, I have to have a good latte, they have a Seattle's Best area and when you buy six you get one free. Good deal for me since I like better coffee than the ship offers.

The Windjammer is set up nice with different food stations. I think the Seaview cafe on deck 11 is not as good as it used to be, but try it at least once. Don't bother with the crepes they make by the Solarium, but the wraps are good.

Dining room food: I found it to be pretty good, but of course not as good as Celebrity which is superb to me. The chilled soups are excellent. The beef was very good and so was the fish dishes. Keep in mind if you don't like it, send it back and order something else. I had 14 nights of the Jewel food, and found something I liked every night. I asked the waiter what he suggested and he was usually right on the mark.

Specialty restaurants: Went to Portofinos twice and Chops once. If you had to choose one night I would go to Chops. Sorry they do not offer lobster. They had salmon, beef (different ways), lamb and veal. The sides come family style, but they had a nice selection.

Of course Portofinos is nice if you like Italian food. I like to order a beef dish and order a one pasta dish to share with the others.

Room Service: Did only breakfast and it was good. Order the omelets though (real eggs). They will call you before they bring it. Have some dollar bills stashed in the drawer for tips.

Itinerary: The Eastern Caribbean itin was great. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maartin, Antigua and Nassau was on my itin. I have been to these islands before, but not really a beach person, but if you like the beach look into St. Thomas and St. Maartin.

For Jewelry shopping I think St. Maartin has better prices, but you have more selection in St. Thomas. Antigua has some nice shops as well. The only excursion we did in St. Thomas was a private 40' sailboat/snorkeling trip out of the Red Hood Marina. If interested it was the www.sailwinifred.com.

I would suggest in St. Maartin to do the ship's excursion where they offer a bus tour to the French side you pick up a catamaran and sail back to the ship. It's a nice way to see the island.

Western itin is Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Cayman. Key West is the best port (I even got married there 16 years ago, so it's dear to my heart). Cozumel is up and running, but you will be tendered since the pier got heavily damaged. The best shop is Los Cinco Soles. I would just take a taxi there. Nice jewelry, onyx, 200 kinds of tequila and if you bake you must buy their vanilla. They can be a bit pushy in Cozumel but not in this store.

Costa Maya was okay. They built a new pavillion for the cruise passengers, lots of shopping and there's a huge built in pool in the middle. Sorry I didn't get off the ship in Grand Cayman since I had been there before, but I know they have some great snorkeliing.

I was in a D1 Superior Balcony on deck 10 midship port side. The ship was very steady and I didn't feel it rock and roll at all. We had beautiful weather so the seas should be calm this time of year. if you get seasick, consider a cabin on decks 3 or 4, less rolling there, so I've heard.

My cabin was under the pool and the one night they had a buffet and I did hear chairs moving and music, but it didn't bother me.

The Jewel is a Jewel and I would definately go on her again. The mega ships are not my forte anymore. I'm a Celebrity fan, but if I were to choose a RCL ship "the Jewel is the one" I would pick again.

Happy cruising.
So you are saying the food on the Jewel was much better then the voyagfer class ships you sailed right? tha tis what I want to know-I am looking at a reposioning cruise from Europe on the Jewel-and it is betweell the Jewel, celebrity constellation and star princess. The Jewel is like one third less in price for a balcony stateroom then the inside cabin on the other 2 ships-so my delima is to I go for an inside and better food or the balcony?

We did love Chops on MOS and I guess that could be my alternative-just eat at Chops several times.