Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Passenger

Default Side vs. aft balcony

Was wondering if anyone has experience with staying in a balcony cabin both on the side of the ship as well as aft (off the back). We have only stayed off the back on the Enchantment, and were impressed by all the sun and no wind! We are concerned that it will be very windy on a side balcony.
We plan to book on VOS in November.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
First Mate

Its a no-brainer, take the back if at all possible. Much larger balconies also.
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:51 PM
First Mate

We were on an aft balcony on the Splendour of the Seas and had a side balcony on the Golden Princess. I don't remember any problem with wind on the side balconies. There are partitions between each of the balconies, so they help to break the wind.

The aft balcony was larger, but we couldn't look down into the water, which I do enjoy. I also was quite a trek if I forgot something in the cabin!

It is great that there are choices!

Have fun, no matter which balcony you choose!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Captain

Aft is the undisputed winner in our book but a side balcony on the hump is fun too.
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Yes, the aft balconies are larger, but JMO, we love the balconies on the hump of the ship. That is were we are booked (again) on the Jewel in July........ I don't like the long walk to the aft cabins. The hump, you are right on the Centrum....
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Passenger

I had booked and aft cabin 1 1/2 years agao and got upgraded to a junior suite. I want my aft cabin back.

Does anyone know what my rights are?
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Admiral

I've had both aft and side and am in the minority. I like the side MUCH better, for one reason:

On the aft, unless you have a wraparound (we didn't) you can't watch pulling into port, which is one of my favorite activities.

I was prepared for the aft to be just sooo much better than a side balcony and it just wasn't. Of course a balcony is a balcony - ALL grand.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
Passenger

Have only had an aft on Empress and will now have on Mariner, Empress I know is smaller, but the suite was a lot smaller than side suite and had no couch

Is Aft Cabin on Voyager class ships smaller than side?

Maybe I am dim but the people who say there isn't shade on aft, does it not matter the position of the ship & sun at the time on any balcony?

To me a longer walk , means more room for food, and being in the back less traffic & noise by my door.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
First Mate

I really have no clue what the hump is. We are booked in the aft on deck 9 Vancouver to Vancouver , June Serenade of the Seas. I wonder does it feel like you are looking down a tunnel. It might be cold and staying inside might be a option so wonder what has the best views. I still have time to switch. I never looked back before always looked from the sides so just not sure. It's only 7 days so maybe I should give it a try. HELP
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffymom
I really have no clue what the hump is. We are booked in the aft on deck 9 Vancouver to Vancouver , June Serenade of the Seas. I wonder does it feel like you are looking down a tunnel. It might be cold and staying inside might be a option so wonder what has the best views. I still have time to switch. I never looked back before always looked from the sides so just not sure. It's only 7 days so maybe I should give it a try. HELP
The hump is the section of the side of the ship that has a bump out. (Hump). On deck 9 they are on the starboard side of the ship, on the opposite side of the elevators.

I have never sailed to Alaska, so I don't know anything about it feeling like you are in a tunnel. (Nor on the aft of the Serenade.)

The Serenade is a gorgous ship. I cannot imagine a bad cabin on her!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Default I much prefer the side

I don't mind wind, although I don't feel there is much on the side. In fact I hate when there is no breeze. The balconies are bigger and that is a plus, but I prefer to see where I'm going, not where I've been. I feel like when on the aft, I can't see what I want to see. It's more of a personal thing for me I guess. I grew up on all sorts of boats and being on the aft is not desirable to me. Unless of course you just considering the luxuary aspect of it. In which case I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM
First Mate

I couldn't get the hump or bubble as some call but got 9576 and 9574 instead of aft on Serenade of the Seas.