CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   excursion suggestions for Nassau/Cocoa Cay (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/306779-excursion-suggestions-nassau-cocoa-cay.html)

lsufan28 January 13th, 2006 03:03 PM

excursion suggestions for Nassau/Cocoa Cay

My family and I will be taking our first cruise on SOS Feb 20th - sailing to Nassau and Cocoa Cay. Should we book excursions on the ship or on our own? What are some must do's? I appreciate any suggestions. BTW, our children are boys - 13 and 7.
Thanks!

Darcy January 13th, 2006 04:10 PM

My children enjoyed parasailing and snorkeling at Coco Cay and the Dolphin swim and waverunners in Nassau. Coco Cay activities have to be booked through the ship as its their private island. We booked on line early to make sure we got the ones we wanted. We booked our excursions in Nassau privately.

MaryLou January 13th, 2006 04:13 PM

Following are some of the ship's excursions in CocoCay:
Snorkeling
Floating Beach Mat Rental
Waverunner Experience
Parasailing
Suba diving
Kayak Adverture
Water Slide
Aqua Park - Caylana's Castle Cove - the kids would probably love this one. It is the largest aqua park in the Caribbean. They have water trampolines. You can do the log roll. Slide down the huge sand castle slide.

Kathleen Templeton January 16th, 2006 08:27 PM

We loved the pirates museum at nassau. I believe it was $12 per person. You do it on your own. It is a large purple building 2 blocks behind the straw market. a short walk from the pier.
The dig (aquarium) at Atlantiis was good too. The tour goes quickly, but you can go back through on your own as much as you want after your tour is over. Just show your bracelet they give you. You can do this on your own too. Just grab a taxi at the port, not sure of the price, I think it was $7 per person, one way then the price of admission to the dig, not sure how much it was. Don't bother with the glass bottom boat tour, it's not worth the money. saw a couple of fish and a sand dollar, that was all and the weather was windy so we couldnt go and see the shipwreck either.
If your into history the 2 hour historical city tour ( can book at the pier) is an excellant tour. We saw 2 forts, queen anne's staircase and a few other things. One fort was a guided tour, the other you just walked around yourself. But the guide has a lot of interesting history about each spot, a kid might get bored, i dont know. each person is different. But for the age of your kids I would highly recommend the Pirate museum. watch out for the pirate who greets you, he seems to like watches and rings etc... he was great!!!
have fun.
kathleen