Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Default Excursion Recommendations for Key West and Belize Pls

Any suggestions for excursions in Key West and Belize City? I was thinking about Cave Tubing in Belize, but became concerned after reading about tubing being more dangerous than one would think. Does anyone have input on this excursion? Also, what to do in Key West???
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:52 AM
Yeoman

I used to work down in the Keys (scuba instructor) and made many runs to Key West. We were just there a few weeks ago too. My favorite things to do there are walk along Duval and head to my favorite shops, then eat at some of my favorite places (this time Sloppy Joes). We did take a cab to Wings of Imagination which was neat (its a butterfly sanctuary), then hiked back on Duval (we have an almost 4 yr old and a 6 mos old).

As for beaches-not the best thing to do in Key West as theyre usually covered with smelly sea gunk. Save the beach for later. Snorkeling and scuba are popular, but visibility can be an issue. I overheard some people who snorkeled on our last trip and they complained about the poor visibility. Theres a Conch Train tour (and another-one of which you can get on and off to see sights). The locals hate the them since they mess up traffic. You can visit Hemmingways house and his 6 toed cats, the lighthouse, theres an overseas railroad museum (not very impressive), the old wharf area has been fixed up nicely, walk around and look at the gingerbread type houses and some other famous ones (like the little white house-Truman). The Southern Most Point is a popular stop-its a buoy that marks the spot-90 miles to Cuba. And of course if youre still there for sunset, dont miss the sunset celebration at Mallory Square! Its quite a show.

Some of our favorite stops: Kermits Key Lime store, Whitfield Jacks jewelry, Key West Aloe (great skin, hair, perfume, etc products-make great gifts), Key West Handprint fabircs, Alan Maltz gallery (great photos of the Keys and FL-he published many books for FL), Wings of Imagination, Margaritaville, Albertos (he does neat watercolor name prints using sea life forms as letters-hes in the little outdorr artist area on Duval), Blue Cat (pet goodies), and some other odds and ends as we window shop. For eats: Sloppy Joes, My Blue Heaven (Jimmy Buffet likes it), Pepes, Half Shell Raw bar, a little hole in the wall on Front Street (cant recall the name).

Be sure to pick up one of the free tourist books (ie Great Locations) that youll find around town as they have great maps, info, and lots of coupons. Sometimes just showing the book will get you a discount too. I always get one and take it home since it has contact info for future needs! They also have a website greatlocations.com

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old January 22nd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We really enjoyed the snorkeling at Goff's Caye when we were in Belize. You have the option of snorkeling from shore or from the boat.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM
First Mate

I haven't been on the cave-tubing excursion in Belize, but everyone I have heard talk of it loved it. Most did it through private operators for a longer and less crowded tour.

What did you hear?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
First Mate

The last time we were in Key West we did a sailboat tour around the harbor. They served rum punch, and it was a totally enjoyable couple of hours in the sun. Wandering around Duval St. and eating & drinking in one of the many resturants is also a good time.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
First Mate

When we were at Key West we did parasailing from the dock right there. It was reasonable and the guys who took us were fantastic. We had a great time and even let us go twice.

Also, we did the cave tubing in Belize and we even had a non-swimmer with us. We had so much fun! (3 women) It is different and nothing like it! Also, if you do do it and they still offer the bbq chicken lunch afterwards, you must get it!! It was only 5.00 and it was the best bbq chicken. It is a good hike through the rainforest to get to the river, but our guide was excellent and showed us many things along the way like plants, tarantulas and different animals. Hope this info helps!!
Have fun!!!
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to arb18

In Key West we went on a snorkling boat trip out to the reef, it was beautiful!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Passenger

Sunlover - Did you book cave tubing with the cruiseline excursion or did you go with a private tour company? I have a non-swimmer as well in my party.