Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754
Default Bermuda

I'm looking at cruises for this summer, and I'm pretty sure I'll be booking the Empress of the Seas from Philadelphia on July 15. Has anyone been on this ship OR been to Bermuda and wants to tell me a little bit about it? Or if you have pictures from it, I'd love to see them. Thanks in advance!
Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Beginner

I've been to Bermuda three times in the past ten years and I think it is one of the most beautiful and picturesque places in the world. I would absolutely recommend that you go!

It is not only truly spectacular visually, but there is so much to do and see. The beaches are great. St. Georges is very quaint and fun to walk around. There are great shops and artist studios all around the island (especially in the three ports). The are many water sports and other activities you can do...and you can do them on your own, or as part of a shore excursion if you like. You can visit the Perfumery, the Aquarium, the Underwater Ocean Institute, the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse (with specatular views of the island), various forts, all types of beaches (including small ones in coves that are often empty or almost empty of other people) Spital Pond nature preserve, numerous shops...and the list goes on.

Renting a moped to get around the island is very fun and it's great to be in a place on a cruise for several days straight and have complete independence to get around the island and do as you like. By the end of your stay, you begin to know your way around the island and feel at home. Every time we return to Bermuda, we feel like we have returned home again. Sometimes, we would just drive around and sight-see for hours at a time. The island is small enough that you can drive around easily (with a map) and never get lost. The island is long and narrow, and you can drive from one end to another in about an hour. After a couple visits, you won't even need a map to find your way around.

Go. You will not regret it!
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM
First Mate

thanks for all of the information! I'm definatley looking foward to going and we're on the verge of booking.. so hopefully in a few weeks we'll be booked and the countdown can begin haha
Old January 27th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Passenger

Please get really good insurance. A hurricane can hit and you want to be able to cancel your trip, or they may take you someplace you don't want to go.
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
First Mate

Yeah we'll definatley get the insurance. Last summer our family friends were on the 5 day Bermuda on the Voyager and a hurricane hit... And then they ended up in Canada. But thanks though! I really hope that won't happen to us.. I can't wait to see Bermuda!
Carnival Destiny 2004
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Old January 28th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeoman

We got married at the Sonesta resort (something else now) under the moongate and had our reception on a cliff overlooking the ocean and a waterfall. I love it there!

Storms usually miss Bermuda, but you never know. A tropical storm threatened to push us inside for our ceremonies, but we lucked out and it missed us completely.

There is a lot to do as others have said. Great places to eat, shop, beautiful beaches, etc. We rented mopeds as well, but take note -they are very dangerous. They drive on the left side of the road and we saw lots of moped accidents. The beauty of them is being able to cruise around the island, not worry about parking, etc. We made many trips over to the pier/wharf to shop, and stopped along the beaches to watch the sunset. We did a catamaran sunset cruise which was also fun. On my first trip I went scuba diving (great wrecks and reefs). We visited the underground caverns, and the natural bridge/arches. The local bus is a great and cheap way to get around, and taxis are everywhere. Only locals are allowed to drive cars.

Its not a place for young kids (other than the beaches). It does have a formal flair to it. I love seeing the men in there Bermuda shorts. The reverend who married us wore them-he was so cute!

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old January 28th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara754
Yeah we'll definatley get the insurance. Last summer our family friends were on the 5 day Bermuda on the Voyager and a hurricane hit... And then they ended up in Canada. But thanks though! I really hope that won't happen to us.. I can't wait to see Bermuda!

I was also on that trip to Canada, thats where the warning comes from. Bermuda is beautiful, and i'm sure you'll love it!
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Beginner

I don't think you can cancel your cruise simply because a hurricane causes your itinerary to change (i.e. from Bermuda to Canada). The cruise contract, which you must sign to obtain tickets, clearly states that the cruise line has the right to cancel, change or substitute ports. The insurance is usually very specific about what it covers and what it does not...and I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover you in the event you choose to cancel a trip because the cruise line changed the itinerary. It would obviously cover you if the trip were canceled by the cruise line due to a hurricane (would never happen, though) but the cruise line would refund your money anyway, making the insurance a moot point. Don't get me wrong, I do recommend the insurance though for other reasons.
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruis'n
I don't think you can cancel your cruise simply because a hurricane causes your itinerary to change (i.e. from Bermuda to Canada). The cruise contract, which you must sign to obtain tickets, clearly states that the cruise line has the right to cancel, change or substitute ports. The insurance is usually very specific about what it covers and what it does not...and I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover you in the event you choose to cancel a trip because the cruise line changed the itinerary. It would obviously cover you if the trip were canceled by the cruise line due to a hurricane (would never happen, though) but the cruise line would refund your money anyway, making the insurance a moot point. Don't get me wrong, I do recommend the insurance though for other reasons.
I honestly don't know. I had the insurance plan my travel agent offered which cost about 200.00, and covered next to nothing. When hurricane franklin hit and our itinerary was changed from Bermuda to Canada, I was informed by many people on this message board that I should have purchased the correct insurance. From what they said there are many different tiers of insurance, and certain companies that only sell trip insurance, and you can purchase insurance that gives you the right to cancel anytime. Again I don't know for sure if this is true, but if it is I would get it in a heartbeat during hurricane season.
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:15 PM
First Mate

The best time to go to Bermuda is in May. No hurricanes and the weather is wonderful.

I went on Celebrity's Horizon to Bermuda because it had the best itinerary. The seas were calm going over, no rain the entire time and the weather was in the upper 80's.

I find that May is best time to do either Bermuda or the Caribbean.

I live in hurricane country and I would never cruise anywhere during that season.

Let us know how your cruise was when you get back.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:18 PM
First Mate

cruis'n and weimviz: About the insurance problem, our family friends claimed that the checked Royal Caribbean's website the day or so before the cruise, and knew that there was a large chance they would be going to Canada instead. So, when they got to the pier, they were told them could go home and be refunded, or take the cruise where it was going. So they took the cruise.

allison1170: I'm the youngest, and I'll be almost 17 at the time of the cruise. I don't consider myself a young kid.. but I do plan on touring interesting places and seeing more than beaches. My parents have been to Bermuda in the past, and are planning to take us to the perfume factory, Black Seal rum, etc. and of course, the beaches. But I am aware of the formal flair and packing accordingly.

Cruz Crazy: If I had the choice to go at a time when hurricanes are not a threat, I would. But, I go to high school, my parents work for schools, and my brother only gets one week in July off from work. So, this particular week or so in July is the only time we can all cruise together as a family. I will definatley let you all know how it was when I get back. First, I have to book it! haha
Carnival Destiny 2004
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Old January 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara754
cruis'n and weimviz: About the insurance problem, our family friends claimed that the checked Royal Caribbean's website the day or so before the cruise, and knew that there was a large chance they would be going to Canada instead. So, when they got to the pier, they were told them could go home and be refunded, or take the cruise where it was going. So they took the cruise.

allison1170: I'm the youngest, and I'll be almost 17 at the time of the cruise. I don't consider myself a young kid.. but I do plan on touring interesting places and seeing more than beaches. My parents have been to Bermuda in the past, and are planning to take us to the perfume factory, Black Seal rum, etc. and of course, the beaches. But I am aware of the formal flair and packing accordingly.

Cruz Crazy: If I had the choice to go at a time when hurricanes are not a threat, I would. But, I go to high school, my parents work for schools, and my brother only gets one week in July off from work. So, this particular week or so in July is the only time we can all cruise together as a family. I will definatley let you all know how it was when I get back. First, I have to book it! haha
Sara-

Your family friends were very lucky, the rest of us about 3.000 or so people were not offered any choice, in fact we were told and I quote,
" Maam you can either get on that boat or lose your money" so for the second year in a row (first by choice) we went to Canada only this time I got to pay the price for Bermuda.

I was told on this very message board by "experienced" cruisers that what happened to us was our own fault because we should have never cruised during hurricane season, and if we did we should have had the best insurance that would have allowed us to cancel (which maybe your family friends had). I would like to know where all these people are now when the ? of insurance is being asked. Personally I still feel like Royal should cancel the cruise and not bring people someplace TOTALLY different than where they were booked to go, but they will ! so get protection for your money. Also Canada is nice but it's not Bermuda, believe me at 17 you do not want to go to Canada.
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM
First Mate

When you cruise during hurricane season you take your chances. A woman I work with was sailing out of NY to Bermuda in September on Norwegian a couple of years ago. They were aware that it was hurricane season, and that a storm was brewing. They had checked with the cruise line fairly regularly as the sail date approached and were told that due to the storm they would be going to Canada. Therefore, she packed accordingly. When they boarded the ship lo and behold they were informed that because the storm had veered away they were going to Bermuda after all. She had packed long pants, long sleeved shirts and and jackets.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean