Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Passenger

Default Another missing person/cover up

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Yes I saw this on TV last night. It seems to me that RCCL is suffering from a terminal case of cove-up-itis. Their immediate reaction whenever something like this occurs appears to be to deny, deny, deny. Meanwhile, it's clear that a) something did happen, and b) whether or not they have any culpability or responsibility for the incident they are working like mad to shove it under the rug. The result, Royal is looking bad and losing credibility. Dispite 4 cruises with Royal, I'm at the point where I'm starting to think hey do I really want to do business with a company whose 1st inclination is to lie.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Admiral

People shouldn't feel forced to cruise, nor feel forced to sail on a line they express doubts about. If I wasn't comfortable on RCCL, then I would immediately cut them loose and sail on one that I was comfortable with.

There are two sides to every story. Because ABC presents one side doesn't mean the cruise lines is wrong or right. In most cases where something has happened it seems that the families are eager to hang the blame on the cruiseline, whichever one it may be. Again, in most if not all cases, the general public doesn't have
the information that the authorities and cruise lines have and it ends up in a speculation game or a " they said-- she said -- we said -- all we want is " thing that the all knowing --all seeing media exploits for their use.

If RCCL did something wrong and it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, then they should be accountable. I personally like to have all the information before crying " hang' em ".

Having sailed a couple dozen times on 5 different lines ( RCCL included )
I can't think of a single time when I felt threatened, saw anyone threatened, saw any violence or seen anything other than a few people who were too loud and had consumed too much alcohol, and have seen a few kids that I would have liked to have kicked their %$ss and sent them packing.

It really irks me that for whatever reason the media seems to have a vendatta to do in the cruise lines . Considering all the millions of people who take a cruise in a years time and the extremely low number of problems, you are far safer on a ship than going to the local mall.

My town has 270,000 people. Last year we had 16 murders, with 5 still unsolved. The number of assualts, rapes, robberies are too many to count. In one night 4 teenagers damaged 67 vehicles by slashing tires and breaking glass / windshields--- in one night .

Put these " cruise ship crimes " in the proper perspective. On any given day in Anytown USA, there are far more crimes committed than there are on all the cruise ships combined in a years time. But that's something you won't hear the media mentioning.

No, I'm not employed by any cruise line. Just believe in fair play.
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Great post.
Old January 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Default another person lost at sea

yes Ron great post. The media is relentless at times to saturate a story.cable had a ball with it ,now it's regular network. I also have been on many cruises and agree with you. sailing on the brilliance in a week and I plan to have a hell of a good time.
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Yeoman

This story is very old. From August 2004. I remember when it happened. The only reason they are talking about it again now is because of all the hype over George Smith.
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just love the OP's thread title..."another missing person/cover-up" ...an opinion based on biased crap yellow journalism.

Ah, me.

LL
Old January 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Familiar Face

Default Give us a break

I agree with much of what the respondents have written. If we were ever to know the truth about these "missing persons" I would bet they either fell overboard because they were drunk/ or under the influence of something else or were just stupid. For the life of me I do n not know how anybody can fall overboard by accident. There are only a couple of "open decks" and the rail is high enough that to fall over it you would have to be 7 1/2 ft tall or more likely trying to walk on the rail. The same goes for the balcony cabins. It is of course possible that someone "helped" them over the side....but unless there are witnesses I doubt anyone will know.

As for the Cruise ship - well they have a company to run and once relatives think they can sue them - regardless of whether there is any evidence of fault I cant blame them for being a little cautious in dealing with this type of issue. I have not one moments doubt about cruising and my safety- if anyone has they should stay home.
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Passenger

I agree that cruise ships do get bad press. I have also never never felt threatened on a ship.
BUT, If any relative or friend of mine was missing I would use any way (the press) to find them. This missing person could be anyones family.
Old January 29th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Admiral

I can underdstand that if something happens to a person while on a ship
( or anywhere else ) that it should be investigated and of course the family has a right to know what happened. But automatically accusing the cruise lines of a " cover up " is a little extreme.

And, name one case of a missing cruise passenger that the media has solved .
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Admiral

I agree, sometimes the Press can be relentless, and most importantly, they don't always play fair! The Press can be bias...depending on the crime, product, agenda, or what seems to be the opinion held by the majority of their sponsers at the time. (they need to sell papers and they absolutely need their TV sponsers.)

A cruise ship is really a micro city floating at sea, and passengers bring their good and bad habits with them on board. Depending on the Cruise line and ship, most passengers will tend to be on their best behavior, but you will always have the few who think..."I'm on vacation, will never see these people again...so let's let it all hang out".
I think it is this attitude that eventually leads to the trouble with excessive drinking and aggressive behavior, etc.

I don't believe at this point we can really know if RCCI is trying to hide or cover-up anything. We are only getting small sound bytes of information, and it's hard to draw any right conclusions from all the filtered information given by the Press, Corporate Lawyers and the agenda(?) of the grieving widow.

Right now these Cruise stories have all the right entertainment elements:

1. Mystery disappearance
2. Murder?
3. Sex
4. Attractive grieving widow
5. Greed
6. Lover/lovers/ crew / involvement?
7. Corporate cover-up?
8. Estranged grieving relatives?
9. And of course, the setting: A romantic Honeymoon cruise

The Public is hooked, and you can't blame the Press for running with seems to be a winner.
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Default another person lost at sea

I'm glad to see so much response to this article. Again ,these missing people is a tragedy,but I agree some of these stories are either ill covered and some hard to believe. that same show showed a young guy somehow overboard on a carnival ship and in the water I think 17 hours. He did not remember anythig until he woke up in the water .I am a retired Navy scuba,not a seal, was in just before they were created and without of some kind of flotation that is pretty damn hard to do.
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Passenger

New to this chat line. Am a cruize-a-holic. We have been on three cruises in the past 2 years and have two booked for this year. I love the freedom of cruising and the safety. If you stick to the cruiseline excursions you are very safe, while at sea even pirates cannot hinder your trip.

Our media blows everything out of context... They elevate every little story they can to sell airtime, papers, magazines etc.

I will continue to cruise until I can no longer get aboard the ship.

let the media have their say, ***edited to remove political commentary*** (this is a cruise board folks )