Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- Do you prefer the ship's with Promenades?

I love the overall atmosphere, ambience and liveliness of RCI ships, but am not a big fan of the Mega ships and their indoor promenades.

Am I in the minority here? Do most of you love the promenades, or do you prefer the smaller ships, without them?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Passenger

I think RCCL ship layouts are great. They hold parades and parties in the promenades. They are very lavish, I enjoy people watching, shopping, drinking and eating. It is almost like Lincoln street in South Beach, minus the dogs and weird people (well some weird people).

Bigger, brighter, with more to do in the promenades is my vote. Maybe an indoor pool with swim-up bar in the promenades, or jacuzzi. The treadmills could overlook the promenade. Think I'll design a ship.
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Passenger

i sailed on serenade, with out the promenade, and i thought it was great until i sailed adventure of the seas this past summer, for this summer it came down to the Radiance or Adventure, we chose adventure and one of the reasons was for the size and the promenade

my vote is for the promenade
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Admiral

I like the bigger ships for the longer cruises. If you have some rough seas, you don't seem to notice the wave motion as much. With more days at sea...the promenades are nice.

We like the smaller ships for the coastal port intensive type cruises. (MOS type)
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can count me in the promenade column. The promenades on Adventure and Mariner (the two i have experienced) are my favorite parts of the ship. Not only because of the centralized location of facilities and services but because they are just fun to sit in and watch people go by while having a drink (or more). Although I greatly appreciate open outside decks, especially bow access as on RCCL. I wish Carnival had that option. I love walking up there late at night, away from the lights where you just veg under the stars. But the promenades are great.
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

We got hooked on cruising with our first Explorer cruise. The Promenades are beautiful and I really like them. I wondered if I would like smaller ships without them when we sailed Summit in Alaska. Yes! I also love the Summit AND Galaxy. I discovered that the Promenades, ice shows and other amenities of the Voyager-class ships are not necessary for me to enjoy cruising. The cruiselines (RCI or Celebrity), itinerary and price are the main criteria.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: POLL- Do you prefer the ship's with Promenades?

I definitely agree with you Morris. But I have to admit that the promenade on FR is beginning to look very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
I love the overall atmosphere, ambience and liveliness of RCI ships, but am not a big fan of the Mega ships and their indoor promenades.

Am I in the minority here? Do most of you love the promenades, or do you prefer the smaller ships, without them?
Old January 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

One would need to make a distinction between indoor promenade (Voyager class) and outside promenade (Sovereign, Vision class) When I am at sea, I prefer to be on the outside promenade. I like to look out at the water, go out for a smoke after dinner, like to deck chairs for relaxing and people watching.

The indoor promenade is like being at the mall. If I want that, I can go to the one at home. I was on a Fantasy class ship (Sensation), no promenade and did not care for it. That ships looks like a milk carton turned on its side. Very ugly.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
One would need to make a distinction between indoor promenade (Voyager class) and outside promenade (Sovereign, Vision class) When I am at sea, I prefer to be on the outside promenade. I like to look out at the water, go out for a smoke after dinner, like to deck chairs for relaxing and people watching.

The indoor promenade is like being at the mall. If I want that, I can go to the one at home. I was on a Fantasy class ship (Sensation), no promenade and did not care for it. That ships looks like a milk carton turned on its side. Very ugly.

I agree Dave.I will be on the Sovereign this july.Can't wait for my midnight stroll.
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Dave the Wave..excellent distinction..you continue to demonstrate the length and breath of your cruising knowledge, again I think that in all seriousness CM should hire you because you bring a perspective that is much needed

speaking of perspective..did you see the picture of Brittany with a tatoo along the back of her neck in USA Today ?..It looked like it started out as Dave the Wave but ended up with another name..trouble in paradise my friend ?
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM
First Mate

I agree with Kuki, I'm not fond of the promenade ships.

Although my first cruise ever was on the Explorer of the Seas and that got me hooked on cruising. In the same year I then went on the Brillance of the Seas (she just came out) and just loved that ship.

My preference is the Radiance Class on RCL. I just did the Jewel of the Seas on a back to back and loved everything about that ship.

Now keep in mind my allegiance is to Celebrity with the Milleninum class being my favorite, so this coincides with RCL's Radiance class of ships.

When I cruise RCL it will be on the Brilliance or the Jewel, no mega ships for me. But then here comes the Freedom of the Seas. Might just try it if it's a great deal and I have nothing better to do.

I guess the older I get the simplier I want things.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Venice,

I am done with that tramp. I saw her picture in some tabloid at the Publix the other day and they had a picture of her with all these pimples. Gross! And now another tattoo?!

There are other fish in the sea and on my next cruise for that matter. I am starting to get ready for my upcoming cruise. I have begun my training and will start tanning soon. I am also working on building up my alcohol tolerance. I was practicing yesterday out in my boat. I am up to 12 beers in an afternoon with no ill affects while on the water. It was pretty windy here yesterday too.

Yes, I am sure I could contribute something to this board as a staff member but have not been offered a job yet. They already have the singles editor and the single cruising with kids. Maybe I could be the "How to pick up chics on a cruise" guy. I could offer tips and share my experiences both good and bad.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Passenger

I am a fan of the promenade on the Voyager class ships. It is another fantastic atmosphere to an already fantastic cruise! Count me in for it.

Regal Princess
Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Norwegian Windward
Celebrity Mercury
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas May 7, 2006...here we come!!
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Dave..I know we joke alot back and forth, but I'm serious...from time to time you could write an article about a single male parent cruising with his children...more and more men are staying very active in their children's lives and taking vacations with your kids are a real key part of bonding that I'm sure has a market segment out there

The other stuff you have expertise in, speedo's, picking up strange women, creative packing of booze to go on the ship, anyone can contribute but you seem to have a talent to put that aside when your boys are with you

As for your ex girlfriend, it's about time you've seen the light and I think you should focus on developing a fixation on a woman more to your style...Jessica Simpson
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:09 PM
Passenger

I guess I'm in the minority. While the Promonade is fun, I want to see the ocean. I love the Radiance Class of Ships. We have been on Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel and will be back on Jewel in July. So much glass that you can see the ocean from many places on board. We also did the Mariner, and it was nice, but give me the deck and an ocean view. I can go to the Mall at home. Just my opinion.
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:39 AM
Admiral

I don´t think there´s any need for a distinction between Voyager class and Sovereign, Vista class vessels.
The title of this topic is "-Do you prefer the ship´s with Promenades?" And the only RCI ships with Promenades
are those in the Voyager and Freedom class.

Quote:
One would need to make a distinction between indoor promenade (Voyager class) and outside promenade (Sovereign, Vision class).
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:02 AM
Admiral

Well Sunbird925,
You may be in a minority in your country, but certainly not in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbird925
I guess I'm in the minority. While the Promonade is fun, I want to see the ocean. I love the Radiance Class of Ships. We have been on Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel and will be back on Jewel in July. So much glass that you can see the ocean from many places on board. We also did the Mariner, and it was nice, but give me the deck and an ocean view. I can go to the Mall at home. Just my opinion.
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:05 AM
Admiral

That is why it is called the "promenade deck", it is the outside promenade that wraps around the whole ship where you can sit and watch the ocean, promenade (walk) around the ship or just stand at the rail and enjoy the fresh air and look into the water. The "indoor promenade" should be called "the mall".

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Most cruise ships have promenade decks. But you will only find Promenades on VY and FR class vessels.
The name Promenade was first used on Silja Serenade and Silja Symphony in the early 90´s
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too am for the Promanade's on the Voyager class ships, but I must say I think the atriums on other Royal Caribbean ships are the most lavish afloat, especially the "Radiance" class ships. I can't wait to see the Freedom class, I'm sure its going to be unbelieveable.

Hey Roland, do you have any new pictures of Freedom you can share?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Hi Donna,

Haven´t seen the FR since January 15 and at that time saw her just from the outside.
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM
Admiral

I don't know if it was the first but the Sovereign of the Seas in 1988 had a Promenade deck. It was the first with the large atrium that is now standard. I prefer the names of decks over the simpler numbering. From the top passenger deck you have the Bridge Deck (10), the Commodore Deck (9) the Boat Deck (8) the "Promenade deck" (7), the Tween deck (the forward part of deck 6) and so on. The decks are still named and shown on the signs that way. The names of decks reminds me of a ship, the numbered decks reminds me of a hotel. There is still a difference but the gap is closing. They are still cabins and not "rooms" although "stateroom' is acceptable.

The "Promenade Deck" (7) Sovereign of the Seas... (note the classic steamer chairs)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default POLL - Do you prefer the ships with Promenades?

I think this topic has derailed and promenade decks have nothing to do with what Kuki asked.
As for promenade decks, they have been on passenger vessels from the beginning. More than a hundred years before the SS was introduced.

The promenade deck is a deck found on several types of passenger ships. It usually extends from bow to stern, on both sides, and includes areas open to the outside, resulting in a continuous outside walkway suitable for promenading, thus the name.
On older passenger ships, the promenade deck was simply the top outside deck below the superstructue, and was enclosed by a railing. On modern cruise ships with superstructures as high and broad as the hull, the promenade deck is often largely enclosed, with railing-lined "cutouts" and wooden decking to recall the old days.
[/b]
Old February 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
That is why it is called the "promenade deck", it is the outside promenade that wraps around the whole ship where you can sit and watch the ocean, promenade (walk) around the ship or just stand at the rail and enjoy the fresh air and look into the water. The "indoor promenade" should be called "the mall".
Dave,
I agree. I thought that was the meaning of the first posters question.
Old February 1st, 2006, 11:36 AM
Admiral

I must confess I have not yet been on the Voyager class. But the concept of the indoor promenade is great from a revenue producing feature for the cruiseline. But if I wanted to shop and pay for expensive specialty coffees, I can (but won't) go to the mall. I go to sea to be at sea. 8)

The oldest ship I have been on was the ex-Olympia (Regal Empress) and there were really two promenades. The glass enclosed, which was a feature on many trans-Atlantic liners for protection from the Elements and an outdoor one above under the life boats. Unfortunately, they enclosed the forward part of it to make half-assed balconies which prevented being able to walk all the way around anymore. I believe the Norway had a smilar glass enclosed promenade deck.

Just beautiful...

and then above...

Not bad for an older broad, over 50 now.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
Passenger

We definitely prefer the atrium style. I love looking up to see the levels and enjoy seeing the ocean from public areas of the ship. We’ve only sailed a Voyager class once (we try to stay away) The promenade got so crowded you could not see the parade and the captain’s cocktail party ( held in the promenade) was a joke. We have decided to give it one more try and are planning to sail the Mariner ( again) Jan 07.
Marci
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Dave the Wave..you continue to astonish everyone with your in depth responses which include photos to illustrate your postings..again, you need to go on staff at CM
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Admiral

venice, what´s wrong with the "staff" at CM
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
Passenger

[I love the overall atmosphere, ambience and liveliness of RCI ships, but am not a big fan of the Mega ships and their indoor promenades.]

This was the orginal question, in reference to the MEGA ships and their INDOOR promenades. Not the outdoor promenade deck.

And the staff on Cruisemates seems fine to me.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Roland..nothing is "wrong " with the current staff at CM...however most organizations have a diveristy program to enhance product appeal and Dave The Wave certainly has a "different perspective" on many of the cruising aspects but I think his perspective will bring added value to the product at CM..and you got to love the fact that he almost always includes pictures of himself with his post (VBG) ..Oprah has her Dr Phil..we can have our "Dr "Wave