Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Admiral

Default Project Genesis

Royal Caribbean orders a giant cruise vessel from Aker Yards

06-February-06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Royal Caribbean International orders a new generation cruise vessel from Aker Yards. The contract price being approximately EUR 900 million, this is the most valuable ship ever ordered in the history of commercial shipbuilding.
The 220,000 GRT ship, a prototype developed under Project Genesis, will be delivered from Aker Yards, Finland in autumn 2009. The order means 5,800 man years of work for the yard. The contract includes an option for a similar vessel.

"After developing so many generations of cruise ships together over the 35 years of our partnership with RCCL we are excited about jumping so far out in front of cruise-ship design with this highly innovative and exciting new ship" says Yrjö Julin, President responsible for Aker Yards Cruise & Ferries business area. "Working together we will create an unparalleled experience for the next generation of cruisers.?

"It is exhilarating to take such a giant step into the future", said Royal Caribbean Chairman and CEO Richard Fain. ?Project Genesis truly is a remarkable ship. Its bold design, daring innovation and technological advancements will delight our existing customers and help us draw in new ones?. He also said Royal Caribbean to be fortunate to have such gifted collaborators as Aker Yards.

Taking a huge leap of 43 per cent in size from the new record breaking "Freedom of the Seas" to be delivered for Royal Caribbean from Aker Yards in April, the new giant of the cruise market will be 360 meters long, 47 meters wide, 65 m high above waterline and accommodate 5,400 passengers.

The previous deliveries from Aker Yards to Royal Caribbean include eleven newbuildings, and there are three more in the present orderbook, the world´s largest cruise vessels in the Freedom class, to be delivered in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Consisting of 18 newbuildings, the total value of the order book of Aker Yards in Finland is some 4.3 billion euro after this contract.

The contract is subject to final confirmation of buyers financing.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Passenger

this sounds really exciting and i cant wait to learn more.
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Roland..
Just what we need, a ship with a larger population than most of the islands she'll visit
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Roland, You seem to have some inside information. 5400 guests?? Almost 1200 feet? Bigger is not always better....

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Admiral

DtW,
You´re right that bigger is not always better. Personally I think both the Voyager and Freedom class ships are too big. But I have to admit that I´m impressed of what I´ve seen so far on the FR. We´ll see if I change my mind when I´ve sailed her some ten weeks from today
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Dave the Wave..perhaps you should clarify your statement since this is a family board (VBG)..I concur, if RCI stays within the format of the 7 day cruise to the islands, I would suspect this would have more cons then pros

If they are thinking into the future of cruising, where it might sail to fewer (and bigger) ports where the ship is the destination rather then the islands, they may be on to something

DTW...have you figured out how many bars that can have on the lido deck ?
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just think this is astounding. Those of us who have been around awhile and remember the first time we saw, say... the Destiny class form Carnival and recall how massive it looked. And then the Voyager class came along and kaboom, it was 42% bigger....

Now Genesis is 43% bigger than Voyager -- she is some 1116 feet long - almost 4 football fields, and twice as wide as the Panama Canal...

Same concerns as I had with Voyager - how many docks can she fit into, if she can't dock she requires more tendering, and how do you tender 5400 passengers.....?

Anyway - YES. The ship is the destination now. I wonder what "surprise" they have in store for us. I always said "the day a cruise ship has a roller coaster is the day they are getting too big." Maybe it will have a golf course, or a ski jump.

I can't imagine what the theater will look like. Surely the most amazing stage facility at sea. 2009 is closer than it sounds...
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Venice,

Just to clarify things. I am talking ships. But this is also true of many things. i.e. motion of the ocean.

That would be like 2500 cabins. Outrageous! Maybe she can carry her own tenders like the Norway. Getting on and off the ship could be a nightmare. I look forward to seeing more details.

Rollercoaster? Stupid! Big waterpark, cool! Shopping mall inside? Stupid! More bars? Cool! 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Paul,
According to RCI´s press release she is 1.180 ft long 8)
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Thanks for clarification DtW 8)

[quote="Dave the Wave"]Venice,

Just to clarify things. I am talking ships. But this is also true of many things. i.e. motion of the ocean.
quote]
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Paul,
According to RCI´s press release she is 1.180 ft long 8)
She is jusyt over 1 foot long??? no, just kidding. The press release says 360 meters, which I interpret as 360 x 3.1 feet since a meter is 39 inches. That comes to 1116 feet.

Did I do my math wrong? or am I being stupid in some other regard?
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Paul,

1180 ft x0.3048 = 359.66 m 8)
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Default Because you can

We have trouble as it is with impersonal service from the staff and crew on some of the large cruise ships that are in service now.

Just image the what it will be like on a larger ship with MORE passengers:

1. At cruise service desk
2. Tendering anywhere
3. The lines at the buffet and restaurant
4. Disembarkation (they haven't worked a smooth system out even now!)
5. If you think cruise food is bland now...image the galley cooking meals for even more passengers.

It is nice to cruise and share the wonderful experience with a thousand or so people. But to take a whole village??? ()

You do reach a point of 'the ridiculous'...

Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Paul,

1180 ft x0.3048 = 359.66 m 8)
I stand corrected. Thanks!
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

wow... i do like the voyager class, which i thought was pretty huge when i first saw it, and now the freedom of course is even bigger. i'm not sure how much bigger we can get but i will definately cruise on her. and i'm with dave... a huge water park (one that's not just for kids) would be awesome!

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Passenger

WOW...1,180 feet...5,400 passengers...! ! !

I don't think I can even grasp that size of a ship...We have only sailed on the Monarch.

At 880 feet and 2,350 passengers this new "Genesis" class ship could actually fit (2) Monarch of the Seas inside her...MAN that is big.

GV
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Admiral

yea and I bet despite all of our concerns and comments, the minute it's open for sale, everyone on these boards (except myself and DTW, unless of course they give us a free suite) will be booking

What will sink RCI is if there is another 911 type event where people don't travel for a while or a major recession where people don't spend disposable income on vacations and they are stuck (along with everyone else) with a lot of excess berths to fill
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Genesis

Well, for those that have been to NYC....the news there is saying that this ship will be about as long as the Empire State Building - to give you folks an idea of its actual size. This is all over the Internet & local TV stations here (CT area).

I don't want to even KNOW what they are going to be charging for the cruise price!!
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, thats some new ship, I'll just add another ship to my "to do" list :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
First Mate

Wow... sure sounds like one big ship!! I just hope that this "new" wave of bigger ships that RCI seems to be on doesn't mean they are going to abandon new builds on smaller ships. The Radiance class ships were beautiful and the last of those ships rolled out in 2004 and there seems to be only new builds of MEGA ships being planned now.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Don't think I would enjoy sailing on such a mammoth ship. Celebrity's Millennium class and RCI's Radiance class ships are big enough for me. The only way I would ever be on this mega ship is if I was invited on a tour to see it while in port - or if I WON a cruise on it. 8)
Cindy
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Admiral

It just may be that RCCL shoots themselves in the foot with this.
I don't think I would want to " cruise " ( if it could be called that ) on a ship that big. As has been pointed out just getting on and off the thing would be a real trip in itself-- can you imagine how many pieces of luggage 5400 pax's would bring and then trying to pick out your own black samsonite from about 5000-6000 pieces or more in a crowded warehouse ?

You would have to make a Dr. appt. several days in advance, get reservations for a slot machine, etc.

Remember the term " road rage " ? I can foresee a new term and the head lines now---- " debarkation rage " " Police were called out in force to break up a riot at the RCCL " Monster of the Seas " ship this morning as irate passengers fought for their place in line to claim their luggage, go through customs and immigration and to try to make their flights on time.

To further complicate matters, police had to quell another riot that broke out amongst the 5400 people trying to get on the ship before the other 5400 were off."

RCCL issued a statement saying they were sorry for the inconvience and were working to make getting on and off easier !!

Naw, I don't think I want to try one that big. I'm happy on an old tub like the Zenith.
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Admiral

If RCI will build it...people will cruise it !!!
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Passenger

I think Ron has come up with the perfect name:
"MONSTER OF THE SEAS"
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Yeoman

I saw some story (Today Show???) about how big cruise ships are getting, and they mentioned Freedom. They said that if they get too big, they may just want to drop anchor off Miami and call it a vacation for a week, so youre not off base in saying the ship is the destination. Not sure I could go for that, course weve been to so many of the same places a floating resort might not be too bad. Im not crazy about 5400 people though. Just imagine if an illness broke out on it!

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Roland,

A technical question for you, as you seem very knowledgeble. What is the displacement of these ships, Voyager, Freedom and Genesis. The 138,000, 158,000 and 220,000 are measures of volume really and can be misleading. Of course when you add all the 5400 people and the average American weighs over 200 lbs (women included) that would increase things a bit.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Dave, Right now I am out of town without access to figures. But to the best of my recollection the VY-class dwt is around 11.000 and as for displacement the new project Genesis should be just over 100.000 tons.
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Admiral

DTW..don't sweat the technical stuff..just think about how much water you can displace during the belly flop contest and the shortest path from your cabin to the bar and the longest distance that a woman can be from you at dinner (VBG)
Old February 9th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Passenger

May'be they'll bring back the 40,000 ton Viking Serenade and use it as a tender for "Monster of the Seas"