Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 220,000 tons. Lets get real!!!!!!!!!!!

They are going to totally loose touch with reality and loyal cruisers. I have found no benefit to the ultra large ships. All you get is more people with more of the same stuff to cater to all the extra people. They cannot forget that cruising is about service, food, and entertainment that needs to be of the upmost quality. I just sense that they are starting to get away from that with these mega ships???????????
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Huh?

Voyager of the Seas March 2000
Adventure of the Seas March 2002
Navigator of the Seas March 2003
Serenade of the Seas March 2004
Enchantment of the Seas January 2006
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Passenger

I too personally care nothing about cruising with 5000+ passengers. I will let everyone else fight the crowd on this MEGA MEGA cruiseliner. I am with you on this!

Regal Princess
Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Norwegian Windward
Celebrity Mercury
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas May 7, 2006...here we come!!
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Default New RCL "Monster Ship" - For Get It - Get Real

Good afternoon sailors:

No way will I or my family patronize this floating debacle.

I canvassed the many cruisers in my office - they will not consider such a ship.

There is a book for sale (for along time) called the "Tipping Point". It states that everything has a natural equilibrium whereby once you go beyond, it becomes negative.

This ship is the "tipping point".

There will no doubt be lots of folks who will love the 6,400 person sailing. There are hundreds of millions of folks around the globe who potentially will spend the $ for this experience. This is a big market.

I hope it is a failure and RCL and other lines learn their lesson that we are all not zombies who will purchase what ever druel they call food and sail on whatever item they call a ship.

More evidence that I am increasingly fed up with cruising.

ABoatNerd
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Passenger

I believe the intent to be to make the ship the actual destination. That being the case, they are going to be successful. The amount of space per person on the ship I would imagine is going to remain the same, so all of the talk of it feeling crowded or being jammed in, would not be relivent. I would also assume that getting on and off will be through multiple path's, so that will not be an issue either.

I am 50/50 on this. I am sure there is a huge market for this and it will be fine and other lines will follow, just not sure it is for me.

I would more then likely try it one, but not fall in love with it and sail over and over like I do the radiance class.
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Admiral

The space ratio will be almost the same as on earlier ships. But you have to remember that the open deck space per person will be much smaller and that will indeed make pool areas etc crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my $.02
The amount of space per person on the ship I would imagine is going to remain the same, so all of the talk of it feeling crowded or being jammed in, would not be relivent.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I agree with many of the comments posted. Its not this ship per say, but where this is leading. Some are saying that they are trying to make the ship the destination of choice. I hope that those of you like myself that have cruised many times already feel that the ship is the main destination. You really spend very little time off the ship on your average cruise anyhow! For me, I feel that the 70-90 thousand ton ships are perfect. Though I will say being a loyal cruiser, it will be an amazing thing to see.(just see!)
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Familiar Face

Its not for me - I like something a bit smaller but 85,000 tons is nice for me....thats the thing if you dont like the idea of a 220,000 ton ship, then dont take the Cruise. There are options you know and many of them. IO am sure some people will love the facilities and the size - and great for them. No one is forcing anyone to take a cruise on the new Ship...so stop complaining and get on with life....

Now I know why there are so many negative reviews on Cruises...people just love to gossip and gripe!!!
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Passenger

Can we at least wait for the ship to be built before we sink it? There are enough choices in ships for everyone. Some like the 80,000 tonners, some like me, favor the big ships and what they have to offer.

Voyager of the Seas March 2000
Adventure of the Seas March 2002
Navigator of the Seas March 2003
Serenade of the Seas March 2004
Enchantment of the Seas January 2006
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Passenger

You know what. If all of you do not like the idea of sailing on such a big ship then don't sail on it. I know there are plenty of people who are going to die to go on the ship. I have no douby in my mind that it will be a success.

Royal Caribbean has been in the business for too long and is not going to spend 1 billion on a ship they might feel would fail. When the Voyager Class came out people like you were complaining that it is to big but they went a hit. Same happend with Freedom but that is selling out. And you know what the same is going to happen here.

I personally cannot wait to see what they come up with next. They are the most innovative line out there and are going to continue to push the evelope.
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Admiral

I enjoy reading different points of view. Thats what makes the boards interesting. They would be boring if everyone felt the same.

Regarding these new Mega ships: My husband and I really prefer the smaller type ships for coastal cruising...but for a Pacific or Atlantic cruise like something a little larger, BUT not as large as these Mega ships. I tend to agree with ABoatNerd regarding the 'tipping point'.

As I wrote on another thread...you think you have problems now with service, getting complaints resolved, lines in the buffet, etc. just wait until you are in line with 5,000+...

Again...this is just MHO
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com
Default Will Cruisemates show the PR here? RCL : NYSE

Royal Caribbean International Orders Bold New Ship
2/6/2006 3:00:28 AM

MIAMI, Feb 06, 2006 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Royal Caribbean International fast-forwarded cruise-ship innovation today by ordering a new ship that will take the line's award-winning guest experience far into the future. The 5,400-guest, 220,000-gross-registered-ton ship, a prototype developed under the project name, Genesis, builds upon the trailblazing innovations of the brand's landmark Voyager and Freedom classes of ships. Finnish shipbuilder Aker Yards will build the ship for a Fall 2009 delivery, continuing a 35-year collaboration with Royal Caribbean.

MARKETWATCH TOP NEWS
Labor talks loom behind GM dividend cut
Time Warner should split into four parts, Lazard says
U.S. stocks end lower; Toll Bros. warning weighs
Toll Brothers knocked as home deliveries reduced
Visa to shelf 'Everywhere' ad slogan

At 1,180 feet long, 154 feet wide and 240 feet high, Project Genesis will give Royal Caribbean ample room to create memorable new icons and amenities to heighten guests' cruise experience. Energy efficiency also was prioritized in the new design with significant modifications made in the form of the hull and in the air conditioning and water production and treatment systems.

The company estimates the all-in cost of the ship to be approximately $230,000 per berth or roughly comparable per berth to a Freedom-class ship, despite its being a prototype with significant advancements. The contract is contingent upon the completion of certain conditions by the end of February. Royal Caribbean also has an option for a second ship.

"It is exhilarating to take such a giant step into the future," said Royal Caribbean Chairman and CEO Richard Fain. "We are fortunate to have such gifted collaborators as Aker Yards, and such valued supporters and advisors as our guests and trade partners. Project Genesis truly is a remarkable ship. Its bold design, daring innovations and technological advancements will delight our existing cruisers and help us draw in new ones."

Yrjo Julin, president of Aker Yards Cruise and Ferries, is equally proud of the companies' work. "After developing so many generations of cruise ships together, we are excited about jumping so far out in front of cruise-ship design with this highly innovative and exciting ship," Julin said. "Working together, we will create an unparalleled experience for the next generation of cruisers."

Julin estimates Project Genesis will take 5,800 man years to complete. Aker Yards has delivered 11 ships to Royal Caribbean over the last four decades. Three of the brand's newbuilds are now under construction at the yard. The first out is Freedom of the Seas, which debuts in June.

Royal Caribbean International is a global cruise vacation company with 19 ships in service and three under construction. The company also offers unique cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe. Additional information can be found on the company's web site at www.royalcaribbean.com or by calling 800-327-6700.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean International

Lynn Martenstein, ***edited by moderators***, for Royal Caribbean International
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are not complaining about the new ship. I think that some of us are concerned where this might be going (that is all). The concern on the falling of the overall quality of cruising is a real concern. Don't get me wrong, I still love to cruise more than anything and am the last person to complain while cruising. It is just something that warrents some concern. These forums are for discussion anyhow and I think that its great to hear all different points of views. HAPPY CRUISING!!
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Familiar Face

I think 5400 passengers isjust too many . The quality of service and food is a concern I share also. I would not even consider the new Freedom Class ships. Another thing that bothers me is the tendering process with this many people. Another thing is all these people in one port. Now as I paln my cruises I check the port schedules so that I'm not in port with these ships (Freedom for now ). For me, it just seems like it will be a lesser cruise experience.
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Passenger

Default Okay, I'm sorry! They are building this ship for me!

I admit it! I am the sucker that they are catering to. I LOVE the Voyager-class ships! I think the Royal Promenade is the best invention since the wheel! I booked my cabin on Freedom the very day they opened up bookings and I will book my cabin on Genesis the first day they allow me to! For me the destination is most definitely the ship! If I want to visit an island, I can fly there directly! Visiting ports while on a cruise is just the icing on the cake for me! My favorite itineraries have lots of sea days! More time on the ship! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the ships! Little ships, big ships, Monstrous ships! SHIPS, SHIPS, SHIPS!!!! I want to see them all!

"Enjoy whatever cruise you choose....just be sure and choose to cruise"
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think that most of us agree with Bonnie as a whole. It is just a bit concerning on what this "might" be leading towards. I think that is important to remember what made cruising so popular in the first place.
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Bonnie, Do you want to go on the Enchantment with me in May?

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Admiral

DTW..hope Brittany doesn't monitor these boards (VBG)
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Just thought a play on a quote from one of my favorite movies [Jaws] might be in order.

"WE'RE GOING TO NEED A BIGGER PORT".[/i][/b]
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Admiral

She does

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
DTW..hope Brittany doesn't monitor these boards (VBG)
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

She is too busy fighting off the paparazzi right now. Besides, Kevin forgot to pay the bill and her internet access was cut off.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Admiral

let's see..surfing, a boxing ring, NCL is introducing a bowling alley onboard..we could start an entire new thread on what else the cruise lines will be introducing onboard

this stands to reason, when you have 4,000 + passengers onboard for a week and the islands are so small and can just hold so many people on any given day (and remembering other ships are in port at the same time), the focus will be on activities to keep people onboard during port days and also to entice repeat customers who have already been to those islands again and again and again, to cruise the same cruise lines

therefore the roller coaster theory presented on these boards must become a very real possiblity...a bull fighting ring, an NFL,NBA, Baseball sports program simulated war games, flight simulators, race car courses, both men/women virtual stimulation games, a music recording studio..and of course burials at sea

the concepts are endless, what else can one think of to keep 4000+ folks occupied for a week on a cruise ship ?