Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Passenger

Default RCI Cancelled on of my ports!!!

Can they do this? I am scheduled on the EOS in April and I found out when I called to confirm my room today. They cancelled our stop in the Bahamas and informed me that they are NOT replacing it with another island. Is this their normal practice? I dont think it is fair that after you pay they can change the amount of islands you visit. (
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Yes--- they can and from time to time do change an itinerary. It happens with all the cruise lines and not something unique to RCCL.

On page 124 of their 2005-06 brochure you will find a paragraph plainly stating their position regarding this.
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Like Ron said, they can and often do change the itenerary. If you read the fine print of the contract that you signed it's in there. It stinks when they do that but just enjoy the extra sea day!

Caribbean Village Playa Dorada: Dominican Republic All Inclusive
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Passenger

Why is it cancelled?
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just recently someone mentioned the same thing, only they were going to Coco Cay instead....I hope you at least get to go there, I would like that better than Nassau.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Passenger

@nnnnn

What was their explanation?
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Passenger

They told me that Nassau said that the ship is unable to dock there. I asked them if they make the arrangements before the intinerary is given out for purchase. The RCI rep explained that the island has the final answer.
Dont get me wrong, I am OK with change but I thought it would be changed for another port. I picked this cruise based on the number of different island I would be able to see. I dont get to travel much and wanted to get as much in as possible.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Passenger

Feel lucky. The Bahamas are not worth stopping at for a few hours. If the Captian will keep the ship at calm seas rather than go to the Bahamas, consider yourselves lucky.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Welcome to cruising

nnnnnn, welcome to cruising. Every cruise line will cancel ports or change itineraries from time to time. Port arrangments are like a huge jigsaw puzzle, and the cruise lines are at the mercy of local authorities. In addition, we see comments (complaints) about port changes due to onboard mechanical problems, weather, etc. etc.
I learned from a wise cruiser several years ago...if you really, really want to go to a specific destination and consider it a critical part of your vacation experience, don't cruise there. Instead, get on a plane and fly there. There are no guarantees in cruising.
To date, we have missed Grand Caymans (twice), Martha's Vinyard, Montego Bay, Coco Cay, Tracy Arm Fjord and Ocho Rios due to changes in itinerary. Do we still cruise? You betcha!!
LL

P.S. - You might check with RCI or your TA to see if you will receive refund of the port fee.
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Passenger

@Captain Crunch what a nonsense. The Bahamas, especially Grand Bahama Island, has a lot to offer. Beautiful secluded white sand beaches and so on.
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

There might be a reason more that you aren't aware of. There's always stuff going on behind the lines that you'll never find out about.

It might be a possibility that the port is full. There are quite a few cruise ships out there in the Caribbean now & the ports are getting crammed with people which I'm sure you have probably witnessed. Each time a ship is built, that's one more in the ocean.

And its not like the big cruise lines are retiring any ships for every new ship built. Plus, you have to get special permission from the islands & its not just a pick up the phone & make a call for a yes/no answer. It's a whole political thing.
Old February 24th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE:

I agree, feel relieved you don't have to stop in Nassau. I found it to be dirty, with overly aggressive vendors standing at the tip of the pier waiting for you to walk past them. The simple "no thanks" does not work because I found myself saying it EVERY time I passed someone. Just annoying after about 10 minutes!