Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Default Best airport to fly into for Monarch cruise

In the process of trying to get our air tickets for a Monarch of the Seas cruise in May. What is the best airport to fly into as far as convenience to the port? Also we still have a deposit down on the Enchantment cruise which is 1 night and $2800 more thatn MOS. We are first time cruisers with 4 kids. Will we regret choosing the MOS over EOS? Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I would go with the Monarch. When we first took our kids on a cruise we cruised the Soveriegn of the Seas (sister ship to the Monarch). We decided on the shorter and less expensive cruise just in case the kids didn't like it, got seasick, bored, etc. I didn't want to spend a lot of money and have them hate it or have someone sick on a long cruise. Our kids loved it! and no one was sick. The other advantage to the Monarch is no sea days so if someone doesn't like it you're in port every day. I'm sailing her (for the first time) in March and am looking forward to it. We're flying into LAX the day before and spending the night in LA just in case. I'm from the Northeast so have to plan for weather. Others have posted that the Long Beach airport is much quieter and easier to get around.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Use LAX
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Captain

If you can swing it, Long Beach airport is by far the best airport to use and is much closer to the port than LAX or Orange County (John Wayne).
Does Jet Blue fly in to your local airport? I know that they fly into LB. Not sure who if any other airlines do.
Food for thought. OC is farther to the docks than LAX so your transfer to the dock would be a bit more costly and longer. But OC is heads above LAX in service and convenience. You might want to look at that option as well.
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Admiral

I agree with Peter.
Long Beach (LGB) - good for Jet Blue, very easy
John Wayne-Orange County (SNA) - very easy, about 20 extra miles away
LAX - can be hectic

I enjoyed the Monarch. The cabins are small but the ship was nice. I think saving $2800 is a smart move.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Captain

I live in the LA area and as you probably know, it's huge and inconvenient. But I wouldn't rule out LAX (which, like the cruise terminal is NOT in LA). LAX does a heck of a job and I don't hesitate to fly in there to save money, I just schedule flights in "off hours." Compare prices of airline tickets plus transportation to San Pedro. If you have a carrier that goes into LGB, for a comparable fare, it would definitely be the most convenient.
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Beginner

MOS is a old, dirty ship. The beds are terrible. Service was poor. Get out and go with Carnival if you can. Much better kid's programs!!