Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Passenger

Default Boston/New England Cruise - September

I am getting ready to plan a cruise for me and my hubby and possibly another couple for our 12 year anniversary and very much wanted to take the Canada/NewEngland/Canada tour on RCI - Jewel of the Seas in September 2006. If anyone has been on this trip or on this ship, I would love some in-sight. We want to have a great time and see Martha's Vineyard mostly. I am concerned about the weather and quality of food. We have been ona RCI cruise for our honeymoon to Western Carribean and had an absolute ball. I don't want to be disappointed. Any info at all would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks so very much!!
"Alexis"
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

We took this itinerary in 2005 on the Enchantment of the Seas. We missed Martha's Vineyard due to rough seas...could not safely tender. We spent a day at sea circling in the Atlantic. We LOVED Halifax and St. John. Great places to visit, with wonderful, friendly people!
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM
First Mate

My wife is looking at this itin for September 2007. We did a similar itin on Celebrity's Constellation in September 2004, and I would have to say that so far it is one of my favorites.

We left NY, went to Newport RI, then a day at sea, to Sydney Nova Scotia, then a day at sea to Quebec, 2 full days in Quebec, then to the Sagueney River, then a day at sea to Halifax then a day at sea back to NY. Quebec is magnificent, Halifax is wonderful, Newport was a gem, but the Sagueney River is like nothing I've ever seen before. I never dreamed that floating up a river would be the highlight of the trip but it was beyond description. Absolutely one of the best experiences I've ever had on a cruise.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:51 PM
First Mate

We did the Jewel of the seas out of Boston in Sept. of 2004. I think we have done 13 cruises now and that cruise stands out as maybe the best. I think Sept. is early if you want fall color, but every year is different. Oct. is usually the best bet. We have been on all of the Radiance class ships and the food is fine, so is the service. Don't listen to these complainers that whine about the coffee being too hot or too strong etc. and enjoy the cruise and life for what it is............a gift.
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM
Admiral

September in New England is really nice. Usually its still pretty warm, but pack for cooler weather. If we hit a hot spell it will be summerlike. Martha's Vineyard is a great little island to explore. Hit the beach at GayHead, wander around Oak Bluffs
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Passenger

Default Many Thanks

Thanks for all of your comments. I really appreciate the insight. I am really excited about this trip and having been reading allot of reviews from others as well. I plan on having a great time with great people and the rest will be "GRAVY".

Have a great day!!
"ALexis"
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
First Mate

Seems like a great itin--hope try it in '07 , if I can figure out how to get to Boston from LI NY at a reasonable airfare... We enjoyed Brilliance--the sister ship-- very much & I think you will also like this one! Great layout, ,lots of lively music & things to do & Chops & Portofio were excellent... Guess I am talking myself into it! if you go pls post & let us know how it was...
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I can only say 2 words - HURRICANE SEASON! Buy, buy, buy the insurance in case your trip gets interrupted.

DON'T listen to anything on TV, message boards, documents, "cruise experts" etc, about a "very little" chance of encountering a hurricane. The chances of hitting one for the next several years is fairly good. You saw what happened to the Gulf Coast & usually they are out of the belt. It's going to be freaky the next few years with hurricanes & the number that will develop.

Although most storms don't make it past North Carolina due to the trough that sits off the coast during the fall, us folks here in the Northeast (and I'm from CT) have all admitted we are WAY OVERDUE for a direct hit from a hurricane. The last big one we had was in the late 80's, Gloria I believe and another one that did a brush-by a few years later.

There is absolutely NO WAY for your type of cruise to happen if a hurricane is going to hit NYC. Your trip will be cancelled, there is no place else to go. Not wanting to put a damper on things, but its something to keep in the back of your mind. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst & you won't have any surprises.