Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Water Taxi in Ft. Lauderdale

Has anyone used this? We will be in Ft. Lauderdale a full 24 hours before we can board so we thought about seeing some of the sites. Our hotel is one of the stops so we thought it would be convenient. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Jay
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Yes, it's a great way to see some of the sites along the waterway. You can take it, get off and dinner or lunch somewhere along LosOlas Blvd, and then return to your hotel.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Admiral

We really enjoyed it also. You will see multi-million $ homes of the rich and famous. You can get off and on to shop, eat or see a movie. We got off at Las Olas, ate at the Ugly Tuna for lunch, shopped and went to the movies, then back to our hotel. So much fun.

But you can NOT take it to the port. On our post cruise stay, we actually met a couple waiting for the water taxi outside of the Bahia Mar with 6 pieces of luggage thinking they could take it to the port. We politely explained to them it doesn't go to the port. They called their hotel concierge while we were standing there (I don't think they really believed us) and were told the closest it gets is the Marriott where you have to get a taxi. I told them the water taxi is $7/pp and a cab from the Bahia Mar to the port was less than $20 with tip. I hope they appreciated the info!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks all for the info. Keep it coming. Any advice on restaraunts in the area? Nothing too expensive.

CA Cruiser? Did you stay at the Bahia MAr? Thats where we are staying pre and post cruise and the reviews have been mixed. The way I look at it, we are only staying there for two nights so unless it is full of bugs or something, I think we can handle it.
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Yes we stayed there and it was okay. We got there around 11 am after our cruise but couldn't get into our room until 4 pm!!! They kept our luggage so we took the water taxi like I described in my previous post. We had a 6 am flight the next morning so we were only there 12 hours!! No bugs but don't expect a 4*. They put us in their property across the way and we didn't know any better. I have read the rooms are better in the main tower. The pool is on the 2nd floor with an outside walkway to it. The best part was the walkway over the highway directly to the beach. They also have a good deli there that made great sandwiches. The room was like a very nice Motel 6, clean and a comfortable bed.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, we are booked in the old section as well. Thought about upgrading to a tower room but not sure it is worth the extra 60.00 per night. Don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room. Not a big fan of going some place I've never been before and hanging out in a hotel room Anything you would would suggest to do or places to eat while in the area. I know your experience may be limited since you spent little time there.
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Passenger

I did the water taxi on a pre cruise trip and enjoyed it, we got off at a resteraunt and walked across the street to the beach and saw a cruise ship sailing away it was a awesome site, beautiful beach and ate at a inexpensive outside resteraunt right next to the beach , We shopped at the shops on olas blvd which is right across the beach It was 3 years ago and I still smile when I think of it, very fun! Enjoy!