Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sightseeing on seadays

Just wondering if the ships pass by other islands and such while at seas. For eaxample: we are going on a 5 day cruise w/ stops in Jamaica and Grand Cayman. It looks like the ship does a big loop around Cuba. Are you ever close enough to see land?
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

We've seen land way off in the distance. I always take my binoculars and have been able to see islands off in the distance pretty often.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Banshee:

Yes, you can see land in the distance but it is hard to make anything out on most islands. You do see other ships but unless you know the shape of the ship and the colors you won't know the fleet or name of the ship unless you have binoculars. I do suggest bringing a pair of 10X minis.

I go bit overboard on some cruises and have brought the "Mini-Hubble". It is a 20X-100X telescope with a tripod that I put on the balcony. It's neat to look at ships and passing islands. It was also great to view the volcano on Montserrat and in Hawaii.

It is a lot of weight and takes up room your luggage and something that most people look at as a waste of space but I enjoy it. The other negative is that the movement of the ship makes full magnification viewing a bit rough.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM
First Mate

Actually, I was once quite surprised while cruising in the Caribbean. Sitting on my balcony early one morning I saw a pod of about 3 or 4 whales. They were swimming along breaching out of the water and then slipping back under. And they were close enough to see without the aid of binoculars. It was really quite an experience, and as I said I was quite surprised because we were out in the middle of nowhere, and I had no Idea that they would be in those warm waters. It was March, so I suppose they could have been migrating. As the others have said you do sometimes see land off in the distance, but most of the time you just see water.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Bring binoculars if you can. It's fun to sit and watch an island, another ship, etc. in the distance. As far as other ships, the cruise ships are easy to tell apart if you know what to look for. Carnival has the distinctive funnel, RCCL has the crown and anchor on the stack, Costa has yellow stacks, etc. I wouldn't leave home without my bino's.
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Passenger

The is just a very small chance to see islands on a western caribbean. cruise.
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Admiral

as the others stated you can see islands off in the distance. The closest island you will sail by will most likely be San Juan - its pretty big, and all lit-up at night. You will also probably see flying fish in the water, the occassional dolphin,beautiful sunrises, breathtaking sunsets, and STARS at night.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Yeoman

If its not too hazy you should be able to make out the mountains of Cuba, and some lights at night. Weve seen pods of dolphins during the day, especially near the bow as they love to ride the bow wave.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Passenger

Sometimes you see more than land. On a February cruise on Mariner, the ship picked up 7 Cuban refugees who had been adrift on a raft for 8 days.