Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom
Default Monarch of seas--4-day cruise

We're thinking about taking family on 4-day cruise on Monarch--what's the food like (our first cruise was on Carnival Conquest last year so that's all i have to compare to.) Can you get 24hr pizza's and burgers and icecream?? what's the ship like?? would it be a good choice for a very active 5yo and 14yo?? (we had a fantastic time on Carnival but like the itinerary better on Monarch this "go 'round" Also what are the hours of the children's programs?? thanks
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I just got back from a 4 day Monarch cruise and we had a great time. I just posted a review. I was pleasantly surprised about the food. It was excellent. I've cruised RCL before and found the food to be ok and a lot of recent reviews had said the same thing. There were burgers and fries in the Windjammer for the lunch buffet. I know there was a pizzeria, but I'm not sure if it was open 24 hours. They did have a Ben & Jerry's (extra charge). I cruised with my mom and sister so we didn't use the children's programs. Hopefully someone else can help there.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Also, i forgot to ask is there a formal night and when is it??
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

There is a formal night and on our cruise it was the second night (Tuesday). The Chocolate Buffet was on the third night at 11:30 p.m.(Wednesday for us).
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Passenger

Here is a couple things you need to know. I was on the Monarch last month. I have also been on the Carnival Ship you mentioned. If you have kids and are wondering about the food, don't go with the Monarch cruise. The food is not at all appealing for adults or kids. The food every night was really bland. The food that was available on night, was also leftovers and on the menu the next night. They have typical items like Beef one night, Salmon the next. Lamb another, and fish I believe the last. It felt as if it was tasteless. I had to resort to the pizza bar many times, but theres nothing like the homemade pizza bar on the Carnival. There is no ice cream bar for the kids, or no midnight buffet. They do have a midnite chocolate hour, but then you have to track down a waiter and hope that another guest hasn't grabbed the best things they had to offer which wasn't much. I had to order roomservice many times to accomidate my sugar fix. They do have a cafe for lunch which isn't that bad. They have everything from pasta, hot or cold. Hambugers/Hotdogs, roast beef and other mexican dishes. Everything you would find at a Hometown Buffett, except icecream. Sorry Kids this ship doesn't have icecream except a small scoop for dinner.

As for the Destinations -San Diego , Catalina, Ensanada.
San Diego is San Diego, the only thing to do is go to Sea World. Transportaion in the city is great. Royal Caribeean charges 60 dollars per person to take you to and from Sea World without lunch. That is just a complete rip off. I took a bus and a trolley to the front of sea world all for 2 bucks a person, then used a coupon to get into sea world for a cheaper price. Nice try RCCL.

Catalina is all about YOUR money. Shop Shop Shop. Kids RUN. there is nothing to do in this little island. Nothing but houses, golf carts which i might add is the best thing you can do in Catalina, rent a golf cart. And shops. I hate shopping and once youve been in one store youve been in them all trust me. They all have the same amout of over priced junk. So if you don't mind paying 60 dollars for 2 hours to rent a golf cart and tour the moutain. I say go for it, its all there is to do for real!

Ensanada,
Finally a place where I haven't seen commericals for! Make sure you have a lot of dollar bills rather than 20's or 100's . You can bargain anything or everything. As soon as you depark from the ship you are clowned into riding in a van for 2 dollars a person and listen to some dry humor and they take you 2 mintues away, yes only 2 minutes away , you can walk to the shops if you want. So you get fooled in to there van and they drive you and drop you off telling you that if you pay another 25 dollars they will take you the swap meet and the la bufadora. the blow holes. I never went on this tour, but I heard it really sucks. It takes 45 mintues to get there, you are on there time at the blow hole and only get 30 mintues at the swap meet because its 45 mintues back to the ship. So i recommend staying in town there are plenty of shops, bars, restaurants. great deals everywhere.

Good Luck in your decision, but I will never sail with RCCL again sorry to say.
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Monarch of seas--4-day cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by karessamom
We're thinking about taking family on 4-day cruise on Monarch--what's the food like (our first cruise was on Carnival Conquest last year so that's all i have to compare to.) Can you get 24hr pizza's and burgers and icecream?? what's the ship like?? would it be a good choice for a very active 5yo and 14yo?? (we had a fantastic time on Carnival but like the itinerary better on Monarch this "go 'round" Also what are the hours of the children's programs?? thanks
Lisa
We recently sailed the MOS on Feb 13-17.
Embarkadation-We arrived at the ship late (3:00) because of a delayed flight. We were immediately pulled out of line by RC staff who noticed our suite tags on our luggage. She went and got us our room keys and brought us to the front of the line. We were on the ship by 3:15.
Cabins-We had GS 1036 and JS 1062. I pre-tipped each of the stewards and we had wonderful service all week. In the GS, we got little treats everyday such as petit fours, chs plate and sushi. We received robes and complimentary slippers. We had two adults and three boys ages 7,7, and 15 in the GS and there was plenty of room. We put my Mother in-law and my 11yr old daughter in the JS and they loved it. They said it was plenty of room.
Food-We ate in the dining room every night and if you have Guarnet as your waiter you have lucked out. He was the highlight of dinner. He really made our children and Mother feel special. Food was better than expected. We really enjoyed all of the food. The chocolate buffet at midnight was a real treat. The Windjammer even had delicious items. No complaints on any of the food. My kids ordered room service and the staff was very attentive to their needs. My twin 7yr olds loved the idea of calling room service and then tipping when it arrived.
Entertainment-We saw the comedy show twice, the family show and then the adult show. Both were excellent! The adult show was very tasteful. We also saw the famous "Quest". Definitely not to be missed. We took my mother in-law and she loved it. We also enjoyed the Farwell show. We gambled a bit...My husband lost at craps but I won a total of $200 on Roulette so that made up for his losses.
Ocean Adventure and Fuel-My kids loved going to the OA and Fuel night club. They would leave at 7pm and we would not see them until we picked them up at 1am. We tried to pick them up at midnight a few times but they begged to stay (so we let them). They won medals and prizes and even got farwell gifts. Let's just say my kids prefer cruising over Disneyland! My oldest (15) met some friends and enjoyed basketball, the teen version of "quest" , pizza, and scavenger hunts.
Ports-San Diego was fun. We toured the Midway and had our own tour guide (my husband was on an aircraft carrier in San Diego for years) so he really made the Midway fun for us, by telling us all of the inside scoop.
Catalina-We rented two golf carts and toured the Island and shopped a bit. The only drawback from Catalina was that there was only one ferry so we waited in line for about 2 hours before we could go back to the ship. A lot of people were grumpy and complaining by then. We got back to the ship just in time for dinner. RC made up for the long waits by throwing a BBQ the next day with free Bahama Mama’s, Screwdriver’s, and beer. I heard the mixed drinks were weak. We stuck with beer (hubby was happy).
Ensenada-What can you say about Ensenada? Chicklets? I stayed on the ship and the rest of the family went shopping. My 7 yr olds didn't like Ensenada because of the kids asking them for money.
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:55 PM
First Mate

Please don't take ANYTHING rudedave says as EVEN being close. He is obviosly a jerk by his other postings (read them all) this is one un-happy fellow and should stay on land as nothing will make him happy.

I have sailed the Monarch 3 times and going for my 4th this Monday, 3/20/06. I have always found the food to be very acceptable, not great but good. Believe me, you won't starve. And if ice cream is your measure of a good vacation, go to Disney Land.

He got a great deal on the cruise, he's just upset because he couldent find a female to ravish.
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruise Guy
Please don't take ANYTHING rudedave says as EVEN being close. He is obviosly a jerk by his other postings (read them all) this is one un-happy fellow and should stay on land as nothing will make him happy.

I have sailed the Monarch 3 times and going for my 4th this Monday, 3/20/06. I have always found the food to be very acceptable, not great but good. Believe me, you won't starve. And if ice cream is your measure of a good vacation, go to Disney Land.

He got a great deal on the cruise, he's just upset because he couldent find a female to ravish.
AMEN BROTHER!
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Rudave,
While you may have found the food lacking on your sailing, that doesn't mean all the Royal Caribbean ships are like that. I think may-be you need to try another ship to compare. I've had good to excellent food on many of their ships and love the food in the Windjammer Cafe. I've always found food somewhere during the day, including ice cream. The Voyager class ships have the soft self serve ice cream stations by the cafe and also in the Promonade, along with other specialty food shops.

You have to consider you were on a short cruise, on an older ship, have you tried any of the Radiance or Voyager class ships ever?

I can understand you were't thrilled with the food, but it also sounds like you were never hungry. When people do read reviews like yours, they may think that all the ships are like that, and thats just not true. I'd give some others a try before you bash the entire Cruiseline, thats just not fair or accurate.

Message Boards Moderator