Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A
Default Port Canaveral or Miami or Ft. Lauderdale???

I have a few questions. We could go on the Mariner and go out of Port Canaveral or Go on the Explorer and go out of Miami. Which would be the easier to get to and cheapest to fly in and out of? I wanted to go on the Mariner since it is a newer ship but it only has three port of calls and goes out of Port Canaveral. The Explorer is three years older and goes out of Miami and one more port of call

Any thoughts on both of those locations and both of these Ships???

Thanks Tons

Linda A
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Yeoman

Default Port Canaveral, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale

What about Navigator out of Miami? That is the newest of the Voyager class. From here (New England) we always fly to Ft. Lauderdale even if the ship is going out of Miami because of cost. We can take the Tri County shuttle to the Miami Pier. At Port Canaveral you fly into Orlando, then transported to PC. Someone else could probably give details on cost, miles etc.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Port Canaveral or Miami or Ft. Lauderdale???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda A
I have a few questions. We could go on the Mariner and go out of Port Canaveral or Go on the Explorer and go out of Miami. Which would be the easier to get to and cheapest to fly in and out of? I wanted to go on the Mariner since it is a newer ship but it only has three port of calls and goes out of Port Canaveral. The Explorer is three years older and goes out of Miami and one more port of call

Any thoughts on both of those locations and both of these Ships???

Thanks Tons

Linda A
I did the Mariner of the Seas last year and the Explorer the year before and had a great time on both. For easy and cheaper...I would say Miami. I will be going from Miami to do the Navigator of the Seas in Oct.

David
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Yeoman

I have done Navigator and then Mariner (by the way, Mariner is the newest and last of the Voyager class ships). Service and food wise, we liked Navigator better, but amenties are pretty much the same.

I would say unless youre driving, Miami would be easier to get to since the only major airport near Port Canaveral is Orlando. You could get a transfer from there, or rent a car. I would try to skip flying in and out of Ft Lauderdale. Based on my experiences, they are not able to cope with the large rush of people coming off cruise ships. The line was out the door, the airline staff was yelling at people to clear a pathway, etc. Maybe things are better now. Miami was always a breeze to get in and out of for us. Plus if your flight leaves after 3, you can do one of 3 tours (Everglades airboat, South Beach and islands, and rich homes).

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Admiral

I find it much easier, more relaxing, and cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale the day before and then go to Miami the morning of the cruise.
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Beginner

We were on Mariner last summer and Exploere 3 years ago. I prefer Mariner. Both Chops and Portofinos were excellant. Orlando is a very easy airport to fly into. We took a shuttle to the port. Very simple. Explorer was also a great ship, just a little older. You can't go wrong on either.

Joey
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Passenger

I check air prices the same time I'm checking cruise prices -- sometimes I find cheaper rates flying into FLL and out of MIA or vice versa -- I use Orbitz to find cheaper rates. Price the cruise, price the air - add em up -- if they are all even, FLL is the closest to the Port, and the smaller airport, but you can take cruises from Miami or Port Everglades from either airport. I've been on the Mariner, and the transfer to MCO wasn't very hard at all. If I had a choice, and itinerary was the same, the newer ships often do something a little better with regards to use of space -- Most likely its a difference you won't notice too much -- all the big amenities will be similar.