Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Passenger

Default San Juan pier to airport transfers

Hi,
I saw a posting from Donna with a reply regarding the San Juan transfers between airport and ship. We thought it would be easier to use the cruise line transfer after disembarking, but it sounds like a cab may be better?!?!?! We paid the $10 pp (10 of us) to use this. Will I have any trouble making a change and getting the $100 back??? If we use the new service to check luggage at the ship and let them transfer that to our airline, will they still let us get our own cab? Will a large party of 10 have trouble getting a taxi back to the airport?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have sailed out of San Juan many times and will again in August.When we do we take a cab to the pier.When you get to the airport go to ground transportation and ask for a van so you can get maybe 6 in it and a cab for the other four.We like the cab because if you take the transfers you have to wait till the bus is almost full.With the cab you get the early off color and BEAT the rush to the airport.Remember there may be many ships in port which means you can have maybe up to 6000 people going to the airport and all getting off the buses at almost the same time.
As for the check in of luggage at the pier if I remember it is only for American Airlines,it may have changed .
You didnt say when you are sailing,if it is a while call rccl and tell them you dont want the transfer and if they cant give you a refund tell them to give you onboard credit.
I hope I helped you a little..BTW in August we will be traveling with 11 people.
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks, I'll look into the credit and plan to get our own cab off the ship back to the airport!
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Kacy,

I saw a posting from Donna with a reply regarding the San Juan transfers between airport and ship. We thought it would be easier to use the cruise line transfer after disembarking, but it sounds like a cab may be better?!?!?! We paid the $10 pp (10 of us) to use this. Will I have any trouble making a change and getting the $100 back??? If we use the new service to check luggage at the ship and let them transfer that to our airline, will they still let us get our own cab? Will a large party of 10 have trouble getting a taxi back to the airport?

You probably are just as well off with the cruise line's transfers. The (new international) airport is a considerable distance from the pier, so the taxi will cost perhaps $40 to $50 per cab. Also, I doubt that ten people and their luggage will fit into two standard cabs.

You may have to wait a few minutes at the airport for the next transfer bus, but the wait is seldom more than ten or fifteen minutes. There's a steady stream of flights arriving with cruise passengers on embarkation day, so the buses move pretty much continuously, especially for larger vessels like Royal Caribbean's.

Norm.
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Norm,
Whats this about a "new" airport in San Juan. We did fly out of there about a year ago and taxi fare was only $20 plus tips. I just hadn't heard of any new airport that is farther away??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to GYMNASTQUEENVAL

I would also like to know about this new Airport< I have flown to San Juan many of times, most recently as sept 2005 and took the cab for $20.00. I will be cruising out of San Juan in on Aug 6, 2006 on the Adventure of The Seas and again Aug.13-20, 2006 on the same ship. I just spoke with my Travel Agent who just came back from a Cruise in San Juan, he has no knowledge of the airport being changed.
Crown Princess 8/10-8/19/07
Crown Princess 8/19-8/28/07
Freedom 10/7-10/14/07
Explorer 6/5-14/08
Mariner 8/17-24/08
Liberty 10/11-18/08

Future Cruise's
Adventure 06/07/09-06/21/09
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM
Passenger

I doubt you'd get your transfer money back so you might as well use what you bought. The only hassle with the cruise line transfer is that your luggage is loaded into a truck and taken to the airport and dropped curbside. Our bus got to the airport about 20 to 30 minutes before the truck with the luggage did, and then the unloading of the truck took about another 20 minutes. It's quite crowded curbside as you've got other cruiselines and their trucks and busses showing up. It shouldn't be a problem getting several cabs, however, I'd consider the $100 gone - I seriously doubt you'd get it back.