Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just back from Adventure

Any questions??

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Yes! tell us some details of the service, food, what shape is the ship in??? How was the San Juan airport? Were you happy with everything, upset about anything? We go next month....hoping the staff is cheerful and eager to please. We know we'll be off at every port, but hoping the condition of our staterooms and the rest of the ship are well maintained and not worn out etc. Please share anything about your experience. Did you stay a night in San juan, if so where?
THanks!
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

well... food was usual RCI, good, not fantastic but good enough. Service was usual RCI also, great! The staff was all friendly and eager to please. No problems at the airport, one problem with debarking. We had a flight at 12:34 PM, did automatic check in through ship with American Airlines and RCI gave us group 10 (last group) to depart. It seemed strange because they knew my flight time, they had printed our boarding passes, but I assumed they knew how long debarking would take and knew we'd be fine. We weren't fine, debarking took FOREVER, we finally went to guest relations and they told us we should have come a long time ago. Anyway, after getting help through customs we did make it. RCI didn't seem to care that we may miss our plane but customs officials were very helpful.
The ship is in tip top shape, they are always refreshing paint etc. We were docked next to a Holland America ship that was all rusted and pealing on the bottom, quite ugly, but of course the AOS gleemed in the beautiful Caribbean sun.
So far this has been our favorite cruise, we loved the ship and all the islands visited.
We didn't stay in San Juan this year but we did last year at the Courtyard Marriott, it was right on the beach, and it was nice.
Hope this was helpful, you will enjoy the Adventure, I didn't want to leave.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Well, welcome back and thanks for all the info! A few more questions: When your left ship for the airport did you use prepaid RCI transport or get your own taxi? Did the luggage check system work well and was it reasonable cost? Sounds like the cruise line messed up your departure sequence, a real pip! But, your luggage made it ship to home airport ok? I want to try this new service. As for the cruise, we always get our own cab at the ports and head to the beaches with our gang (ages 7-70) did you have any favorite beaches or island events? We have only sailed on Disney, but kids are older. My husband is a bit skeptical about trying a new line, but I am hoping to prove this one will be just as "plushy" without the mouse ears everywhere. The cabins (spoiled with suites) were always huge and plushy on Disney, but kids are older so not as worried about time in room. Still, hoping our rooms/balconies are kept well etc.
Thanks again for info and hope our sailing is as good as yours.
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

we just get taxis on our own, i don't like to have to wait for a group to leave, then you have to load the luggage and wait for them to unload yours so we prefer to get there on our own. we had no problems at all with checking our luggage at the pier, i think you can only do it if you're flying with american. there was a $10 fee per person but well worth it for us, we had 2 bags each and they were big and heavy.
we mostly went scuba diving but we went to orient bay in st. martin, which was beautiful but keep in mind, there is a lot of nudity (men and women). we also took a ferry over to st. john's (from st. thomas) and went to a beach called honeymoon bay. it was beautiful and secluded. no worries with the condition of RCI's ships, they keep them tip top. the sea aquarium in curacao had some fun excursions. you have to book through the ship though because they have exclusive rights to it when they're in port.
i've never done a disney cruise so i can't tell you if it's comparable, but we love RCI, the ships are beautiful, the service is awesome, the food is not fantastic but not bad either, we were never hungry that's for sure lol. i really don't think you'll be disappointed.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:20 PM
Passenger

Thanks, luv2b.!! Your answers were very helpful. We're sailing on the Adventure in August, and I was so glad to read your opinions on the condition of the ship.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Will be on the Adventure Oct 1st Cat D1. Is there the frig stocked or empty? Also what hotel is close to the dock?
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

the fridge is stocked with a few cans of soda, some water and candy. we stayed at the courtyard by marriot, that wasn't too far and any hotel in the san juan/old san juan area is fairly close by the port.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kimxotennis

how is this boat for teens? im going in july and im 16. did you do any especially good excursions???
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

my teen stayed home this year but we took her last year and she had a lot of fun with other teens on board. they have a pretty good program with their own club if you want to participate. she made lots of friends that she still keeps in touch with on-line.
the sea aquarium in curacao has a lot of fun excursions. they offer diving without having to be certified, swimming with dolphins or sea lions... i've done both and it's awesome! other than that we went scuba diving and visited some great beaches.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Just back from Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2B@sea
Any questions??
We are planning our trip for the March 4, 2007 sailing on the Adventures of the Seas. How is the food in the dining room and airport in San Juan?

Teil4@comcast.net
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

the food on the ship is good. we weren't starving that's for sure. it's not to die for but we enjoyed a good meal every night. i didn't eat at the airport.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Did you go to Aruba? Any good excursions to recommend? I'm thinking about the 4X4 Jeeps. Looking on the internet too for them. What time do the shops close if you do an all day excursion since the ship doesn't sail till 1 a.m.?
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Any questions??
I was very glad to read your positive review about AOS!!!
I'm sailing her in early December. Which San Juan pier did she sail from?
The pier at Old San Juan (near the Sheraton), or, the Pan American Pier?
Thanks again!

Jeff
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie
Default Where to stay in Puerto Rico

Just a suggestion- the past 3 years in a row in the late summer months-(August-October), we have booked the Radisson Ambassador in Condado, Puerto Rico. We've always booked through Priceline.com and succesfully got this great hotel for $75.00 a night! You punch in 5 star hotel, condado, etc. This is a wonderful hotel about 10 minute drive from the cruise port in San Juan. The rooms are spacious and are usually priced about $400.00 a room normally, for the time we cruise. We always like to extend our vacation by staying in Puerto Rico for an extra 4-5 days after the cruise.

The past 2 years we have done the Carnival Destiny out of PR and this year considering trying the Adventure of the Seas instead. Any advise?