Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Beginner

Default PADI Scuba Certification??

I am booked on a cruise on Adventure of the Sea departing on May 7. I am interested in the excursion that allows you to get your PADI scuba diving certification. The description online says that there is one day of open water dives at one of the ports and some classroom time on the boat. Has anyone out there done this before? How much classroom time are we talking about? I know that in typical scuba diving courses there are hours and hours of classroom time, and I don't want to spend my entire cruise doing this! I called the RC Shore Excursion desk, and the woman I spoke didn't seem to know. I would appreciate any insights!!! Thanks and Happy Cruising!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and son got their certification on Adventure last March. They spent about 4 hours the first sea day in the classroom ( 1- 5 pm). They spent a few hours in the pool in the morning (Aruba) then we had the rest of the day and evening to enjoy Aruba. They were supposed to do their open water dives in Curacao but it was cancelled because of poor visability. So they finished their classroom and pool traing the next sea day then did their open water dives in St Maarten and did 2 additional dives in St Thomas.

For the price it was well worth it. When we went on Navigator in November, the dive master gave them a quick refresher in the pool and they dove in Grand Cayman (Jamacia and Cozumel were washed out) and then dove with sharks in Nassau (they had a blast).

One thing to remember is fill out the PADI paperwork before you go and make sure you have a Doctor's clearance if you answer no to any of the medical questions. No answers won't prevent you from getting certifified but a doctor's clearance will make it much easier. Make sure you keep copies just in case (and get it as close to your departure as possible to prevent any problems). This also is done for your safety since you don't want to experience a medical problem at 80 feet!

Enjoy your cruise and diving.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Default Thanks

Thanks for your response. So, how much "classroom" time on the boat would you say there was total?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Admiral

just so that you know, the certification that you get on board is a limited certification. You can only dive to a certain depth and you must have a dive master with you. A full Padi certification course intails something like 16hrs of classroom/pool time ,2 open-water dives and i think 2 closed-water dives.(not sure on the exact specifications)
My son is looking into getting certified at home before our next cruise, and the cost is around $85.00 plus expenses for the dives
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Beginner

Really? I was told that it was the full PADI certification you would receive with the program. I asked this question specifically and that is what the RC rep told me. Does anyone else have any insight on this?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Cruiseme -that is what the owner of the local dive shop told me, that is the information that i am going on. I would call a local dive shop and find out, or do some digging on the web.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is a FULL PADI Certification course. You do two open water dives which gives you your initial certification then 2 additional dives during one of these dives you do your navigation certification and the other one they do the skills check (the same skills you do in the pool). Once you complete these dives you are fully certified and are only limited based on your skill level. When they dove in November they had no restrictions on depth (other than their own comfort level) and actually dove to a depth of 87 feet in Grand Cayman. As I stated before they also dove with Sharks in Nassau.

As for classroom training I think it was about 10 - 12 hours plus an additional 4 hours (total) in the pool (this will vary based on number of people getting certified or refresher training) (there were 6 people getting certified when they did it).

By all means you can (and should) talk with your local dive shop. You can also do all the classroom and pool training at home and get a referral to do your open waters dives during your cruise (helpful if you are not near a diving location). My recommendation would be to do the entire thing on the ship.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

I used to be a PADI instructor (Alum status for several years now). There are two types of certs-one is the full cert and the other is a Discover Scuba cert which is good for the duration of your vacation and only allows you to dive with an instructor/divemaster to 30-40 ft.

Do you have a PADI dive shop near your home? If so, you have several other options that wont chew into your cruise time. One-you can do all the pool and book work at your local dive shop, then do your checkout dives on the cruise (or vacation at any PADI resort operator). This I think is the way to go as you its not as crunched into a short period (safer) and you wont end up sitting in a classroom on the ship. Another option is to do all the book work / tests on your own, then do the pool and open water dives on the cruise/vacation. However, this requires some prearrangement with the operator ahead of time.

Having worked at a resort in the FL Keys, we often had our guests do the work at home (we mailed them the materials), then come to us to finish it off whether it be pool work, tests, etc. Personally, I would prefer to get as much done at home instead of cutting into my free time on board. If youre comfortable working with more than one instructor, have no problems learning stuff quickly,and are comfortable in the water, then do it all on the ship.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Yeoman

Mike-

Im surprised they were allowed to go to 87 ft with their certification level/inexperience. If I recall (and maybe its changed) as an Open Water Diver you were supposed to stay under 60 ft. Deeper than that was for Advanced level on up. Of course, depending on the operator, rules are often broken. Max depth for all rec divers is 130 ft. Believe me, most of the pretty stuff is 60 feet max (uless wreck diving which is for Advanced divers).

4 hours of pool time isnt much considering that what youre learning is very important-your life depends on knowing the skills very well, and 4 hrs isnt enough to master that. Id be wary of operators who work like that. Be sure to check out operators ahead of time whenever planning to dive on vacation.

And about the medical checklist-a no CAN prevent you from becoming certified depending on the issue. Please dont ever lie about it either. If something did happen, it will be found out. As you mentioned, a note from your dr okaying you to dive is a great thing to have with you, even if you dont have any medical issues.

alison
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Beginner

Thanks Alison. So based no your knowledge, would the certification obtained on-board be the full certification or the lower level?
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Yeoman

Cruiseme-based on what youre saying, it sounds like the full cert. If youre paying a couple $100s, in a classroom for a few days (lots of hours) and in the pool several times, then its full cert. If its all done in a few hours on one day, then its the Discover Scuba temp cert. I know that many cruiselines offer both types, so be sure to double check with the line.

alison
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

hi cruiseme
just got off the adventure myself. spent a lot of time talking to the people in the dive shop about their certification because we were planning on doing it there. i'm glad we opted to do it at home though. the course offered on board is a FULL certification, once you're done, you're done. I also talked to someone who got certified on the ship a couple of years ago and he said he was in a conference room from 8 - 12 a few times, then there's pool time also. he said it wasn't much fun, it really isn't an easy course and there's a lot to learn also, keep this in mind. when i got certified, i was pretty nervous on my open water dives, so better to get that over with at home then you can be more comfortable while diving on your vacation. the course is about $100 cheaper on the ship (it cost $349 where i live) but i think it's better to do it at home and enjoy your vacation. just my opinion.
if you are certified when you go the diving was awesome on all the islands. we dove with SeAruba (on our own) in aruba, get guys, great diving. we went on the ship diving excursion in st. maarten and it was even better than aruba. it's a fun sport that i'm sure you will enjoy... my advice would definately be to find a good dive shop in your area and get certified before you go, you have time.

Explorer of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2B@sea
hi cruiseme
just got off the adventure myself. spent a lot of time talking to the people in the dive shop about their certification because we were planning on doing it there. i'm glad we opted to do it at home though. the course offered on board is a FULL certification, once you're done, you're done. I also talked to someone who got certified on the ship a couple of years ago and he said he was in a conference room from 8 - 12 a few times, then there's pool time also. he said it wasn't much fun, it really isn't an easy course and there's a lot to learn also, keep this in mind. when i got certified, i was pretty nervous on my open water dives, so better to get that over with at home then you can be more comfortable while diving on your vacation. the course is about $100 cheaper on the ship (it cost $349 where i live) but i think it's better to do it at home and enjoy your vacation. just my opinion.
if you are certified when you go the diving was awesome on all the islands. we dove with SeAruba (on our own) in aruba, get guys, great diving. we went on the ship diving excursion in st. maarten and it was even better than aruba. it's a fun sport that i'm sure you will enjoy... my advice would definately be to find a good dive shop in your area and get certified before you go, you have time.
My wife would agree that there is a lot to learn but she felt comfortable enough with the staff and the training that she was ready to dive. Of course the initial dives are somewhat controlled (no matter where you get certified) so that helps. The clasroom time on the ship is done on sea days (usually) so while sitting in a classroom for a few hours isn't much fun it still has to be done. The pool time is also done on sea days or early morning (as was her case) on port days so agian it's something that has to be done and is part of the vacation (at least for them). She received her certification in March and then didn't dive again until our November cruise. To feel more comfortable that she hadn't forgot everything she did the refresher training on the ship, got comfortable that she remembered everything and more relaxed when she dove (especially with the sharks). I mention this as something to keep in mind if you get certifiec at home and then don't dive for a while. My wife and son now plan to dive at least once a month and will eventually start working on their next level of certification (I think my wife would like to get her underwater photography certification). One last point, while I stated earlier that a NO answer doens't stop you from diving certain NO answers will but not because of PADI but because of medical advice. I am a recently diagnosed diabetic (contriolled with diet and exercise, no medication or complications). Because I have to check that box without a Doctor's OK the instructor's would not allow me to take the course. Now when I am ready to get certified my doctor will give me the OK (as well as my son and wife who even though certified still have medical issues which COULD preclude them from diving). That is why I said to carry your doctor's OK with you.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas