Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Does RCI substitute for cancelled ports?

Just wondering. One of our ports is Georgtown and I know you have to be tendered in. It seems as if it is one of the most missed ports because of weather etc...Has anyone been on a cruise where you missed the Camans? If so, is it just another day at sea or do they substitute it with another port?

Thanks,
Jay
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:34 PM
First Mate

I have missed the Caymens before... but not on a RCI ship. It happens from time to time. Because the ships do have ports of call to make the day after the visit to the Caymens and cannot alter that arrival date... it is a day at sea.

If the ship has to bypass the Caymens, you will usually get the port fees credited back to your account. I was on Carnival at the time... and they had a free cocktail hour or two to quell the uprising of upset passengers.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Jay,

I have missed the Caymens before... but not on a RCI ship. It happens from time to time. Because the ships do have ports of call to make the day after the visit to the Caymens and cannot alter that arrival date... it is a day at sea.

If the ship has to bypass the Caymens, you will usually get the port fees credited back to your account. I was on Carnival at the time... and they had a free cocktail hour or two to quell the uprising of upset passengers.

Most cruise lines try to adjust schedules to substitute another port of call if it's possible to do so. In the case of George Town, Cayman Islands, though, there's no other port of call that's close enough to substitute so you probably will spend the day at sea instead. In my experience, though, ships rarely skip Goerge Town due to weather.

In event of a cancelled port of call, you are entitled to reimbursement of the associated port charges anc taxes but no other compensation. Of course, the ship will run a full achedule of activities as on a normal day at sea.

Norm.
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Passenger

We were supposed to visit cozumel last November but due to a tropical storm we were forced to spend the day at Sea instead. RCCL did nothing to reimburse us for the missed port or offered us any free drinks when I asked if we get any type of compensation I was told that it was a act of Nature and we would not be reimbursed in any way. Does anyone have a experience where they did get anything back from the Cruiseline in this situation, I would have thought that we would have at least received our port fee back since RCCL didn't have to pay it.
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Jim,

We were supposed to visit cozumel last November but due to a tropical storm we were forced to spend the day at Sea instead. RCCL did nothing to reimburse us for the missed port or offered us any free drinks when I asked if we get any type of compensation I was told that it was a act of Nature and we would not be reimbursed in any way.

Read your passage contract. No compensation is due. The cruise line always has a unilateral right to make whatever changes in the itinerary it deems necessary for whatever reason it deems sufficient. The cruise lines do make a "good faith" effort to follow advertised itineraries and to make reasoanble substitutions whenever substitutions become necessary, but there's never a guaranteee.

Does anyone have a experience where they did get anything back from the Cruiseline in this situation, I would have thought that we would have at least received our port fee back since RCCL didn't have to pay it.

On my cruise to Hawaii next October, Celebrity just revised the itinerary. According to the correspondence, Nawiliwili could not accommodate the ship so she's going to stay overnight and spend two days in Honolulu instead. Celebrity gave a shipboard credit of $50 to all passengers, apparently to offset the difference in port charges, so it does happen sometimes. It's completely at the discression of the cruise line, though.

Norm.