Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Passenger

Default Enchantment of the Seas

Hello!
Hubby and I are going on the 5 Night Western Caribbean Aug 5, 2006. I have never been to Ocho Rios, Jamaica or Grand Cayman. Has anyone cruised there before? How was it? We are planning to stay at the Bahia Mar Resort for our pre and post tours. Is it a nice resort?

Toni

Adventure of the Seas 4/18/04
Monarch of the Seas 3/31/03
Majesty of the Seas 4/01/02
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Please consider an excursion in Jamica. It is a beautiful Island but unfortunately has alot of poverty especially in Ocho Rios. Not much to do if you plan on getting off of the ship and walking on your own. My husband and I did this in Feb and it was a big mistake. Alot of people go to Dunns River Falls. At dinner that night the stories of climbing the falls were funny and we wished we had gone.
Grand Cayman is a beautiful, safe Island. We took a cab to 7 mile beach and walked the beach which is beautiful. We stopped at one of the hotels and had lunch on their shaded terrace. Later we shopped downtown. The people are friendly and the Island is the cleanest you will ever see in the Caribbean!
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Going on the same ship to the same ports 2 weeks from this Sat. I'll have to let you know how it goes. We were originally booked at the Bahia Mar because it was relatively cheap (by Fort Lauderdale standards) and it was on the beach. After reading all the negative reviews (check out tripadvisor.com) we decided to change hotels. The hotels we are now staying at ( the Riverside pre and the Pillars post) are more expensive but we very rarely take vacations without the kids and want to make sure it is special. Keep in mind, I have not been to the Bahia Mar. It's just when reviews are overwhelmingly negative I usually take for granted that they are correct. You may very well have a great experience there.

J
Old March 29th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Passenger

Just went on the same ship and itinerary on March 4th. Had a great time onboard.
Ocho Rios was a little rough. People begging, 2 police officers on every corner, people walking around with machetes. But we took the Canopy Zip lining tour and had a blast! Swinging from tree to tree was a lot of fun and our guide was very good. We did walk around the "safe" shops in Ocho Rios and we were just fine. Ate at Margaritaville and had fun.
Grand Cayman was beautiful. Exactly opposite Jamaica. Very nice and upscale for the Caribbean. Nothing bad to report here.

Enjoy your cruise. Wish I was going!
Old March 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the replies. We are planning to take a cruise next year with the kids. We wanted a little getaway for just the two of us this year. It's been a while since we have traveled alone and the cruises are going fast. We want to do the 5 night this time because we do not want to be gone too long. We have already been to Cozumel and Costa Maya so we decided to try Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I heard about the poverty level in Ocho Rios before. We will most definitely stick to the excursions. I will also look at the reviews on tripadvisor.com regarding the Bahia Mar.

Banshee have a great time on your cruise. Let me know how it went when you get back.

Thanks again for the replies.
Toni

Old March 29th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Passenger

I saw the review of the Bahia Mar We will not stay there. The reviews for the Pillars were great. We booked it for our pre and post.

Take care

Toni