Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Beginner

Default Just booked for December on jewel of the seas....Any hints??

hello, we are gearing up for our second cruise on RCI. We are going as a large family group (25) to celebrate my in-laws 50th anniversery. (December 06)This will be the first time with the kids on the cruise. Ages: 13, 9 & 6. We will be on the western carribbean cruise. We would appreciate any helpful hints about the ship, shore excursions or cruising with kids. Also would like to hear about specific on ship activities that we should not miss...
Thanks!!
Jeff & Julie
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Passenger

we just returned from the jewel sunday - you will love it - the food was great, the rooms were great, the service was great, had such a good time booked again for next year. trying to think of things your might need to know - the seaview cafe if at the back of the ship - great shakes - the windjammer cafe was great for breakfast and lunch - dinner were outstanding we always went to the dining room - on days other than formal nights - you can dress casual - no shorts but they didnt care what the kids wore and women dont have to alway wear dresses or skirts - next year we will be more casual. Storage in the room is excellent - all the luggage fit under the bed so you had more closet room - the bathroom had the best showers - round with the best shower head. If you have any specific questions I will try answer them.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Passenger

forgot to tell you our 9 year olds loved the kids club - the went every night and on shore days when they didnt want to shop.
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Hi..
We also just returned from a cruise on the Jewel....agree with the above post.. food and service were great. Can't comment on the kid's program since we were all adults but the kids seemed to be having fun. However, we were disappointed with the excursions. We booked an excursion for Puerto Rico which was a bust....not only was the weather bad but the driver was totally uninformative. After that, my husband and I decided we wouldn't book anymore excursions but the other two couples booked one for St. Maarten...also turned out to be a bust. We own time on the island and have been there many times...we just wanted to hit the beach. This was our first cruise but we've traveled the Caribbean extensively. My advice to my friends...find a local driver who will give you a tour of the island. They did this for the next two stops and were very pleased. For the most part, islanders are very proud of their heritage and enjoy sharing their history.
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Passenger

I totally agree with the excursions- dont bother do the research yourself and go on you own - we didnt book any this time on the Jewel but have before when we cruised with Disney - they too were a bust - we did just find a local cab driver - we had an idea of where we wanted to go - thanks to the internet - and asked his opinion - and he was always right on - they were informative and gave great hints - also when we went to the beach - we asked if he would be able to pick us up - he asked what time we told him - he was there ahead of schedule - we had that great luck in st. maartan, antigua, and st. thomas - san juan and nassau we just walked. - or floated you could say for san juan.