Old April 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Default Shareholder Benefit Extended

Everybody,

The company has officially extended the shareholder benefit (http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...efitLetter.pdf) for another year, so it now applies to all cruises booked through 01 May 2007. The amount of shipboard credit remains unchanged.

For those who are not aware, the shareholder benefit is a shipboard credit for all beneficial or actual owners of one hundred (100) or more shares of common stock of Royal Caribbean International's parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL). The shipboard credit ranges from $50 on cruises of five or fewer nights to $250 on cruises of fourteen or more nights. It's fully combinable with all other offers and promotions and it's useable on as many cruises as you take.

Norm.
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

That's not bad, Royal stock at closing today was $41.81 which is pretty darn good for a cruise line.

If I had the $$ for it, I would go for it.
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Admiral

Cassandra,

That's not bad, Royal stock at closing today was $41.81 which is pretty darn good for a cruise line.

It's a fantastic deal, especially if you take two or three cruises per year! At the current share price, an nvestment of $4200 (allowing for commissions and some fluctuation in price) would yield a return of nearly 5% if you get only $200 in shipboard credit per year -- and that's "after tax" benefit, and it's in addition to the company's regular cash dividends (currently $0.15 per share quarterly) and appreciation of capital over time. The bottom line is that it's free money!

If I had the $$ for it, I would go for it.

You just have to be the [i]beneficial[i] owner of the shares -- you do not need to have the share registered in your name. Thus, you can hold the shares in an IRA, Roth IRA, or SEP or, if your employer provides such options, through an individually directed account in your employer's retirement plan.

I think it was Robert Kiyosaki (author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad) who who described the difference between rich people and poor people quite simply. The latter say, "This is not possible." The former ask, "How can I make this possible?" Your choice.

Norm.
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Captain

Default Shipboard Credit

Yeah, it is a good deal. We currently have three cruises booked on Royal Caribbean, and will get a total of $500 in shipboard credits. Plus, on one of the cruises, our TA is giving us $200 shipboard credit as well.

The share price is down a couple of bucks since we bought it, but who cares? We don't intend to sell it unless RCI withdraws the deal.
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Pootersdad,

The share price is down a couple of bucks since we bought it, but who cares? We don't intend to sell it unless RCI withdraws the deal.

I'm remeinded of a tycoon who was talking to the person in the next seat on a train several decades ago. The person in the nect seat told the tycoon that he had not invested because he could not figure out what the market will do. The tycoon responded that he knew exactly what the market would do. Overhearing this statement, the people in the nearby seats perked up and listened closely for the tycoon's wiisdom. After a pregnant pause, the tycoon said, "The market will fluctuate."

Individual stocks do indeed fluctuate day to day with the whims of investors and speculators, but the fluctuation is not totally random. Over the long term (five years or more), stocks generally track economoc activity very well. A lot of analysits use a "moving aveage" over thirty to sixty days to filter out the day to day fluctuations so they can see the real trends.

From 1800 to 2000, the total stock market produced an annual average return of more than ten percent -- and that counts every company that went bankrupt or that got acquired at substantial dsicounts to fair value. It also counts all the major depressions, including that of the 1930's. A healthy stock, like Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL), should produce steady growth well in excess of ten percent per year for long-term investors.

The current price probably is a very good buying opportunity because it appears to be artificially depressed by market speculators who fear that high costs of fuel will hurt the company. In fact, the company has turned a profit sufficient to sustain its quarterly dividend and fund continued growth even in the face of even higher fuel prices.

This post expresses solely the opinon of the poster, and it is not a recommendation regarding any transaction in any particular stock. As always, do your own research before investing.

Norm.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

True, but to get 100 shares say at a base price of $40 (forget current market value of right now), that's $4,000 to dull out. Not many people can move stuff from their 401k since companies don't allow buying stocks unless you have an IRA.
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Cassandra,

Not many people can move stuff from their 401k since companies don't allow buying stocks unless you have an IRA.

If you have funds in an IRA or a Roth IRA, this investment is no problem. You just roll the account over to the same kind of account at a brokerage and place the transaction order.

You generally cannot move assets out of a 401(k) account, or any other "defined contribution" retirement account, until you terminate your employment with the company that sponsors the plan. The problem with a 401(k) is that your investment options may be more limited than in an IRA because they depend upon the options that your company provides. My company's retirement (profit sharing and 401(k)) plan provides the option of opening and investing plan assets in an "individually directed account" (IDA) in addition to the usual medley of mediocre mutual funds. An IDA is not restricted -- it can buy any stock, any bond, any mutual fund, or any other legitimate investment. If your employer does not permit you to set up an IDA within the retirement plan, though, you probably cannot use funds from the 401(k) account to buy shares.

Norm.
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Captain

Default Shareholder Benefit

For us, it was easy. I just had my broker sell something within my IRA, and buy the stock with the proceeds. Since we are both retired, a 401(K) doesn't figure into the equation. I rolled everything from my 401(K) into my IRA when I retired.
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to jhr111 Send a message via MSN to jhr111 Send a message via Yahoo to jhr111
Default stockholder benefits

Similar savings are available with Carnival stock on all ships in its family------but are NOT combinable with other discounts or special prices. This can make quite a difference with so many cruises discounted.