Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Worst Weather at Sea Experience Story

Just trying to get something new here. What was your worst weather experience on a ship? Could be getting into port, tendering, sea days, etc.
What was your cruise? Time of Year?

Just curious to see stories about what happened to people & their experiences.
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I was in the Gulf of Mexico on a cruise on August 29, 2005 when Hurricane Katrina hit. While it did get "bumpy" around 1:00 a.m. and lasted for about 5 hours, I didn't feel as though it was scary. We couldn't make it back to Tampa so we went to Ft. Lauderdale instead and the cruise line was bussing everyone back to Tampa. I was traveling with 3 children so needless to say I called the airline and changed my tickets to go out of Ft. Lauderdale instead.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Captain

"Vision o/t Seas" Inaugural crossing in '98 took the "Route of the Vikings." We hit hit the top bar on the graph they USED to broadcast in your room on the "RCI" channel which rated the waves at 50' and referred to their category as "Phenominal." If I recall correctly it took a day and a half to hit calm waters. It was very exciting, but we went into lockdown, a bunch of folks were quite ill and some even slept at the indoor muster areas IN their vests.

Have talked to various crew members over the years who were on her too or heard about it from other crew members and they loved talking to someone who was there. Maybe someone else knows, I heard we only did minor complexive, not structural, damage to the "Vision" (but haven't seen "RCI" take that route again).
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Passenger

We were on the Brilliance of the Seas Oct. 2002. Ran into the edge of a North Atlantic storm about 200 miles off Newfoundland. The captain was trying to avoid the storm, but it just followed us.

About 4PM the crew closed all the doors leading onto the deck. No one was allowed outside. Stacks of deck chairs were roped together flapping in the wind. The water from the jets that fed the pool (about 8" in diameter) was blowing onto the deck.

We had a balcony cabin #9092 (no, George Smith was in 9062) and we woke to sea water hitting the sliding door with such force that we couldn't go back to sleep for over an hour. The following morning salt residue was over 6' up on the door and caked on the railing.
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Wow - I've never had a problem! 11+ cruises. I'm glad though!

Old April 19th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Wow! Great stuff here. I don't know if anyone watches this show, but on Tuesday nights they have at 9pm the "Deadliest Catch". The show is about the Alaskan King Crab boats that go out into the Bering Sea for crab season & what they go through. Apparently one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

Last night with about 5 minutes left, one of the ships (these are about 100 feet or so in length) was caught in the middle of a storm & got hit by a 60 foot high rogue wave on the right side of the ship & tilted it sideways. (Caught on film & they slowed it down to show the wave going over the boat & then the camera crapped out). Course you didn't see the ship tilt since the camera crew was running frantically around calling out to people (at least I thought it was the camera crew) & someone yelling we're stuck sideways or something. Course its good drama, so the sound eventually faded so we have to wait until next week to find out what happened to the ship.

But some of the scenes are pretty cool because looks like there's a camera crew on every ship & you can see the violence of the Bering Sea which apparently weather-wise changes almost instantly. There's some serious wave action out there.
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:13 AM
First Mate

I'm sure there are rogue waves out there sometimes - but of course the cruise ships are so massive. But remember earlier this year or last year when the ship was hit with one - would have been interesting if it was your balcony being hit with a ton of water!

Old April 19th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Yep and the worst part about is NOBODY ever has their recorders going! So we just get to hear about it, but no photo's. Although on the first crossing for the Queen Mary 2, a woman named Pam video taped the wave action & the rocking of the QM2 on her crossover from England to NY. You could see the big waves slamming against the ship & covered the windows on Deck 3.
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Why have your recorder going? You are on vacation on a ship!
But I have to admit I have some "recordings" from wonderful and
stormy crossings.