CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Royal Romance aboard the Mariner (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/312634-royal-romance-aboard-mariner.html)

jpwopp April 19th, 2006 12:17 PM

Royal Romance aboard the Mariner

[/b][/i]My husband and I recently cruised on the Mariner Of The Seas. He planned for a year to have a vow renewal ceremony on board. This service is provided by Royal Romance, a vendor of Royal Caribbean's. All the care my husband took to keep this a secret from me, emails and faxes sent strictly to his boss at work and our travel agent only all to be ruined upon entering our stateroom the day of embarkation. It is usual to find little informational papers and envelopes on your bed and I picked them up and opened them to find a note saying that the ships CPA looked forward to meeting with us and discussing our up and coming vow renewal. I thought at first this is in error until my husband let our a few expletives!!! :x All his hard work dashed away in seconds!! The ships CPA was totally unaware because Royal Romance FAILED to communicate that this was to be a surprise. The CPA was very apollogetic and sincerely so. She said she would contact Royal Romance and let them know of this incident. We also contacted them and let them know of our displeasure with their fax paus. When the customer service rep. got back to us, she offered us as compensation and complimentary of course, 25 vow renewal announcements to share with friends and family. It was also requested of me to scan 2 favorite wedding photos and send them so they could pick one to put on these announcements. I don't know how all of you would have felt at what I call a paltry compensation but after spending $500 for this 1 hour service that was not to our satisfaction and taking a year of ones time planning this and wanting it to be a secret, I feel this is no compensation for what we went through. Royal Romance had a take it or leave it attitude and offered no other alternative compensation and greatly lacked any signs of true sincere appologies for what happened. They sent a final email stating if we did not accept these announcements as compensation, the file is closed. To all of you wishing to do a vow renewal or a marrige ceremony please be aware of who and what you are dealing with. Finally, we would have been happy with a monetary refund of $100. Royal Caribbean was gracious enough to offer a $250 cruise certificate good for another cruise. Remember as I said, Royal Romance is just a vendor of Royal Caribbean. Our cruise and experience with Royal Caribbean was wonderful and I highly recommend to all!!
Happy cruising... 8)

Cassandra April 19th, 2006 05:58 PM

Actually, kinda hard to fault them. Everything sounds like it was setup correctly. You just stumbled upon the surprise. It sounds like they did what they could to compensate, but you blew the surprise. If your husband had picked up the note & opened it, then everything would have worked out the way it was supposed to.

Not all surprises go off as planned. It's hard to keep something like that from someone especially when you have to figure a way to get them to the place where its being held without making them suspicious. (Party, engagement, b-day, etc).

I would just be thankful for the idea & leave it at that. There's alot of women out there with husbands who won't do things like that or are stuck in an abusive relationship.

jpwopp April 19th, 2006 10:17 PM

Everything was not set up correctly. They were told, (Royal Romance) explicitly NOT to leave anything or put anything in our stateroom regarding this matter. I think you missed the point or didn't understand my post. There was not to be ANYTHING in the stateroom period. My husband corresponded back and forth with these people for a year. This was a once in a life time experience that they screwed up. He had his ways of keeping it from me up till the time we would have had the service. This was not exactly a inexpensive little ditty either. Maybe if it happened to you, you would understand better how he/we felt. I hardly feel that 25 vow renewal announcements were compensation. It probably wouldn't have bothered us so much except for their attitude. This is it, take it or leave it. I had placed a call to the person in charge of Royal Romance and I quess they felt so smug that they never bothered to return my call. We have totally dropped it. My post is merely a word to the wise, just be aware of who and what you are dealing with! And, yes, I am very lucky to have a husband who happens to love me very much and is very thoughtful. That's why this was so very special to him.