Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Passenger

Default 2 FOR 1 DEAL ON RCI -- IS THIS A SCAM?

I received an e-mail from something like consumertravel.org. It claims I can get a certificate for a 2-for-1 Royal Caribbean cruise. That I would then book through the Vacation Redemption Center.

Has anyone used this service? Is this a scam?

Information from the e-mail is below....

Do you think this is too good to be true? It includes the two ships I'm debating between Radiance and Explorer...

Three Days Only -
Buy One Cruise, Get One Free
You Choose the Ship, the Sailing

and get The Ultimate Cruising Guide™
($27.99 value) FREE with your order!

Valid until December 3, 2007 on the Carnival or Royal Caribbean sailing of your choice*

Retail Value $149
NOW JUST $19 EACH
(WHILE SUPPLIES LAST)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Your Choice Offer - Sample Sailings

Itineraries: Bahamas * Alaska * Panama Canal * Eastern Caribbean * Mexico * Europe * Hawaii - Your choice!

Ships: Explorer of the Seas * Inspiration * Jubilation * Radiance of the Seas * Ecstasy * Fantasy * - + 25 more - Your choice!

Length: 5 Days * 7 Days * 10 Days * 14 Days or longer - Your choice!

*You can use the two-for-one cruise offer on most Carnival or Royal Caribbean sailings, ships, or length of cruise. You'll make the final selection with an independent travel agency, who will help you make your reservations.

*Cabins are booked at the published rate for the first cruise, with no markups or discounting. Cabin category is subject to availability.

*Departure ports include Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, New York, Seattle, Vancouver, Galveston, New Orleans, Halifax, and more.

*No airfare purchase, or any other purchase, is required to receive the two-for-one cruise offer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Bonus #1: You'll also get your own electronic copy of The Ultimate Cruise Guide with your order. This hefty book is packed with a whopping 113 pages of all the info and secrets you need to know to make your next cruise a success.

Big Bonus #2: In addition to 50% off rates on any Carnival & Royal Caribbean sailing, you can also receive additional discounts on on any cruise line. Choose from Disney, Celebrity, Princess, Windstar, Norwegian, Holland America, Viking River Cruises, and more.

Terms & Conditions

1. You can view a full-color PDF file of the wo-for-one cruise certificate here. This is exactly what you will receive with your order, except that the expiration date has been extended to December 3, 2007. The cruise sailings cited above are available as of April 20, 2005. Other sailings are also available at the discretion of the travel agency.

2. We'll ship out your order via USPS Priority Mail (Global Priority for Canadian customers) within 48 hours of receiving payment. You are responsible for a $10 registration fee for each certificate you use, payable directly to the travel agency booking the cruises. In the event you are unable to travel for any reason, this fee is refunded. The two bonuses will be available to you in electronic form immediately after your purchase.

3. Each household may use a maximum of one cruise package and $50 discount per year. There is a minimum purchase of one and a maximum of three.

4. 6-8 weeks processing time is required when booking your cruise. There may be flexibility in this request, but you should be aware of this request when making reservations. You have until December 3, 2007 to book your 2-for-1 Cruise.

5. The Discount Cruise Packages are fully transferable and may be given as gifts. However, they have no cash exchange value and may not be resold.

6. All Insider Travel products carry a full satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied for any reason at any time, simply let us know and we'll refund your money.
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Looks more like a scam to me. I bet if you shop around, you can find the same cruise at the same price. Are there specific dates that its good for?? That may also be the catch. I'd check on-line and enquire as to what some other agency will charge for the thing, and also the same time frame.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Be careful. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Admiral

red flag-"published rate" the published rates in the brochures are always much higher than anything you can find any place else.
"You can use the 2for1 sale on MOST" that should tell you something right there.
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
First Mate

I find that the general rule of thumb is "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Actually, its not a scam. Royal does have this posted on their website under specials & its being shown on alot of the internet sites they advertise on, especially Yahoo & Cnn. I saw this advertisement yesterday.

It's a 2 for 1 special, however, only on certain ships & certain dates. Probably because they aren't selling.
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

On most of these 2 for 1 deals you have to pay the published rate, which is usually more than two times higher, and most times you have to book a certain cabin category. I had one once for Carnival and I would have had to pay almost three times which was the brochure price, and would have to book at least a 6A cabin category. Needless to say that "deal" went to the trash.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 21st, 2006, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Previous poster said "Royal" had this scam "posted on their website" - I spend a lot of time over at the Royal Caribbean website and darned if I can find a two for one offering associated with the outfit that contacted the OP.
I think LisaK has it right...anyone could offer a 2 for 1 cruise off the "published rates" from the RCI brochures...

LL
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Passenger

I got an email from RCI with this same offer after I had booked the Explorer for August. I had my travel agent check it out. Turns out we already had a better deal because they use the brochure prices. Gimmick, but not scam.
Morticia
Majesty of the Seas 4/05
Disney Magic 8/04
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Passenger

yep mine came directly from Royal Caribbean not through any agency. It's not a good deal with first person at brochure rates. Guess they must think we are stupid.