Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Passenger

Default CRUISING DURING HURRICANE SEASON

Just wondering if anyone has cruised during hurricane season (we are going to the bahamas in late October). What happens if there is a hurrricane? Do the waters get really bad? We just got back from Jamaica and Grand Cayman and I could not tell we were on a boat. We had really great weather. Has anyone been to the Bahamas in October?

Thanks again, Michell
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:08 PM
First Mate

We cruised last October during the hurricane that hit Cozumel last year. We were going to Jamaica, Cozumel and the Caymans. Since the hurricane was sitting between Cozumel and Jamaica we only made it to Cozumel. We were there a day before it hit. A Captain will not put you or the ship in harms way. The ship will go to other ports or in another direction to avoid Hurricanes. We never encountered rough seas even though we were a day away. Just realize you may not make it to the Bahamas but you will go elsewhere. With that in mind just go and have a great time.
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Yep, I agree with the above poster. Assume the worst & hope for the best.

Besides, think of it this way (and I wish the whiners would follow suit). It's not the trip - it's the Adventure!

Let me give you an example. I LOVE Amtrak. We usually get a sleeper car from NY to Florida in January because we all know how unpredictable the weather is in the Northeast.

This past January, we got to Penn Station & immediately heard the announcement we would get off at DC & be bused to VA due to a commuter train that derailed in VA. That trip was 1 1/2 by bus with no air conditioning. (Remember, it gets warmer as you go south). By the time our train left, we were about 2 hours behind schedule. Landed in Orlando the next morning about 1 hour behind schedule. You loose speed once you hit DC due to the fact the freight trains have right of way & there is no high-speed rails.

Now, on the way home, long story short, a tornado had hit the Georgia area & during the night there was a fogbank. A pine tree had fallen over the tracks & the engineer could not stop in time & we hit it head on at 70mph. Smashed the tree to smitherines. Meanwhile, the engineer jumped back & the dead man's brake kicked in. Train came to a gradual stop. Our car was 2 from the head engine. The pine tree smashed through the windshield of the train & damaged the left side of the engine on top of taking out 4 handholds on 4 train cars. (The handholds you grab as you enter the train)
We had to sit on a side rail for a few hours & have a CSX freight engine tow us to DC. By the time we got to NY, we were over 15 hours behind schedule. But hey, we didn't care, we had our sleeper car & all meals are included anyway. Good food by the way!! Can't beat steak for dinner!

We didn't complain, we had a blast & laughed all the way home. I mean, what could you do? It was mother nature! So to those that whine about missing a cruise port due to the weather - would you rather run into a Class 5 hurricane & become the next Titanic? Thought not.
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Oh, forgot to mention - average train trip to FL from NY is about 22 hours. Can't beat the scenery!
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I was cruising in the gulf when Hurricane Katrina hit. Other than it being a bit "bumpy" for about 5 hours it wasn't bad at all. We couldn't get back to Tampa and ported in Ft. Lauderdale instead and everyone was bussed back to Tampa. We just changed our airline tickets and flew home out of Ft. Lauderdale. If you're the kind of person who can just go with the flow and have a great time anywhere you'll do fine. If you can't stand any changes in your itinerary or the possibility of a missed/changed port I wouldn't cruise during hurricane season.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Michell,

Just wondering if anyone has cruised during hurricane season (we are going to the bahamas in late October).

Yes. I do so nearly every year.

What happens if there is a hurrricane?

Most cruise ships wimp out and go elsewhere because they don't want the passengers to be uncomfortable or to experience real seasickness. As a reulst, the ship may skip scheduled ports of call in favor of either days at sea :-) or alternate ports of call.

Real seasickness has two stages. In the first stage, one is terrified of death. In the second stage, one is terrified of survival.

Do the waters get really bad?

That depends what you mean by "really bad." Thirty foot to forty foot seas are common, and riding them out is great fun. Remember how, as a child, you complained when your favorite ride at the local amusement park stopped after five minutes? This ride can last for several days!

We just got back from Jamaica and Grand Cayman and I could not tell we were on a boat

I hope that the reason why you did not feel like you were on a boat is because you really were not on a boat. A "boat" is a vessel that is not seaworthy, which would not belong out in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Thus, I rather hope that you did not feel as though you were on a boat becuase you actually were on a ship!

BTW, in maritime usage, referring to a ship as a "boat" is a grave insult to the captain and the crew of the vessel precisely because it asserts that the vessel is not seaworthy. I strongly recommend agaisnt maligning the captain, the crew, and the vessel in this way if you value your life.

Has anyone been to the Bahamas in October?

Yes. I stopped in Nassau during a westbound transatlantic cruise aboard MV Galaxy in October of last year.

Norm.
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Admiral

ROFL...30 to 40 foot seas? I saw those on "Deadliest Catch" on TV (the fishermen who do the Alaska King Crab out on the Bering Sea).

NO THANKS!
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Cassandra,

ROFL...30 to 40 foot seas? I saw those on "Deadliest Catch" on TV (the fishermen who do the Alaska King Crab out on the Bering Sea).

NO THANKS!

It's no problem. A SHIP is designed to go through such heavy seas and come out the other side, still intact, still afloat, with all hands still aboard.

I would not go anywhere near such heavy seas in a BOAT, though!

Norm.
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Default Choppy trip

I did not travel during hurricane season but in February. I thought the weather would not be a problem. The trip did get a little rough and we were not able to take the tenders into CoCoCay. They did however start serving free drinks at 10 a.m.
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM
Passenger

I apologize if I hit any nerves. I was not looking for a lecture or to be criticized. I was just simply asking a question. I did not think I would be ridiculed for that here.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Hi michellandtim,

Quote:
I apologize if I hit any nerves. I was not looking for a lecture or to be criticized. I was just simply asking a question. I did not think I would be ridiculed for that here.
You didn't hit any nerves!

Not that Norm can't speak for himself, , but he has a very dry sense of humor. I don't think he was trying to lecture or be critical, just to point out that "a ship can carry a boat, but a boat can't carry a ship"!

He's a font of information, so please don't be put off by his sense of humor!

I suspect that you've been on "another" site where everyone is critical of simple questions. You won't find that here!

Ask away, we all love to help!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Admiral

I sailed on Carnival's Fascination last October when Hurricane Wilma roared across south Florida...we sailed out of safety in Nassau harbor and right into harm's way. There were 20-30 foot waves and we were bouncing around pretty good. Three times the Captain turned the ship around with disastrous results, the ship started to list very badly and could not right itself. Once I was on the Lido Deck having lunch at the buffet with my grandson when this happened and everything went flying towards the starboard side...tables, food, liquor bottles, people (including my grandson who slid across the deck and slammed into a wall). My daughter was on the open part of the Lido Deck and she said people in wheelchairs were sliding across the open deck and smashing into the first obstacle they hit. Everyone was clutching onto the tables or anything that was bolted down, water sloshed out of the pools and when we returned to our stateroom to grab our life jackets we discovered that everything that was on our table, beds or storage closets had smashed against the starboard wall in the room. Needless to say, I didn't see many people after that first episode in the common areas and if I did, they all wore their life jackets. We just sailed around and around in circles off the Florida coast for three more days because the Port of Miami was closed. We heard that the ship listed so badly that the lowest deck of porthole staterooms were under water when the ship listed and the crew's quarters flooded. The crew members were wonderful, they had a big mess to clean up, not only in the common areas but in the staterooms as well. So, I will continue to sail during Hurricane Season but do so with a great deal of caution.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

When Ncl dawn got hit by a 70 foot wave in April of 2005. i bet that all of the guests onboard got a free cruise and a free onboard credit?
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM
First Mate

We love to sail in the fall, hurricane season or not. We've never had a problem, but last year was worse than previous seasons. The cruise ship captain sails the ship away from the weather, and if you are a positive person, you'll still have a wonderful time. Everything in life, but especially cruising during hurrican season, depends on your attitude! Have a great cruise!
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Passenger

We went during Hurrican Season in 2004. We were booked to go on the Eastern Caribbean tour, however, because of the incoming hurricanes, we ended up getting on the ship a day late (because it wasn't able to come into port) and we ended up doing the Western Caribbean itinerary.

Although we really wanted to go East, we were really happy with our cruise experience over all. We made the best of it and had no complaints considering our vacation was cut a bit shorter than we wanted.

Royal Caribbean was great, they gave us a $250 shipboard credit + 50% off any future cruises that we booked.

Overall we were extremely happy with our trip, however, I would personally not cruise during hurricane season again. Too much uncertainty for me.