Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Palmer, Massachusetts
Posts: 12,716
Default SCUBA certification?

DS is interested in getting certified. My question is can he do his classwork and pool work and home and take his open water dive for certification thru the cruise line while on the cruise?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 179
Default Re: SCUBA certification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
DS is interested in getting certified. My question is can he do his classwork and pool work and home and take his open water dive for certification thru the cruise line while on the cruise?
Yes he can do the course work at home. The dive shop (or whoever) that provides the training will give him a referral dive form. Take that to Sea Trek and talk to them about which dive excursion would be best for the certification. Also, remember to bring the PADI medical forms just in case or they may not allow him to complete his certification.

FYI the whole course on the ship is $249 which includes the course work and certification dives. Downside is classroom time while on the ship during the sea day(s).

Enjoy!
__________________
Mike

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas


Serenade of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Palmer, Massachusetts
Posts: 12,716
Default

thanks Mike, i will print out your reply and give it to my son.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Lisa,

DS is interested in getting certified. My question is can he do his classwork and pool work and home and take his open water dive for certification thru the cruise line while on the cruise?

Apparently the certification process is fairly thorough. A few years ago, the cruise guides indicated that those doing the entire certification program on the ship do need to spend a good chunk of time studying for the test, and recommended instead that one at least study the course material and do the written work beforehand so that the certification would not be quite so ambitious.

I'm somewhat skeptical about recommending that one take a course at home and then bring the paperwork to get one's dives signed off. It sounds like the school where you do the corsework is the one that will issue the certification, in which case your son would not formally become certified until he returnes home with his dives signed off. This would mean that he would not be able to do his first independent dive after completing the certification dives. If he does the certification through the ship's program, it's "one stop shopping" -- he'll be certified as soon as he completes the requirements and thus be able to dive indpeendently thereafter.

And I know that I'm using the word "indpendently" rather loosely because one of the cardinal rules of diving is that you never dive alone....

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Lisa,

DS is interested in getting certified. My question is can he do his classwork and pool work and home and take his open water dive for certification thru the cruise line while on the cruise?

Apparently the certification process is fairly thorough. A few years ago, the cruise guides indicated that those doing the entire certification program on the ship do need to spend a good chunk of time studying for the test, and recommended instead that one at least study the course material and do the written work beforehand so that the certification would not be quite so ambitious.

I'm somewhat skeptical about recommending that one take a course at home and then bring the paperwork to get one's dives signed off. It sounds like the school where you do the corsework is the one that will issue the certification, in which case your son would not formally become certified until he returnes home with his dives signed off. This would mean that he would not be able to do his first independent dive after completing the certification dives. If he does the certification through the ship's program, it's "one stop shopping" -- he'll be certified as soon as he completes the requirements and thus be able to dive indpeendently thereafter.

And I know that I'm using the word "indpendently" rather loosely because one of the cardinal rules of diving is that you never dive alone....

Norm.
Dive shops provide referral dives all the time. All Dive instructors can administer the PADI test so it doesn't matter where the classwork/pool training is done. My wife and son did their certification on Adventure last year so I know the ship's program is a complete certification program.

To be sure check with your local dive shop where your son plans to do his course work.
__________________
Mike

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas


Serenade of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 179
Default

Lisa,

All search this forum for PADI Scuba Certification?? There is additional information regarding the referral dives.

Mike
__________________
Mike

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas


Serenade of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 99
Default RCCL's course

RCCL has a course called "PADI Scuba Diver Certification Course" which 4.5 hrs, 2 dives, and $249. I'd be very interested in comments on it. If this is getting a diving C card, this is a good deal. Their language of "allowing you beginner level access" makes me think this is different from what most are talking about in this thread.



http://shorex.rccl.com/RC/AvailList....ationtype=null
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 179
Default Re: RCCL's course

Quote:
Originally Posted by browezilla
RCCL has a course called "PADI Scuba Diver Certification Course" which 4.5 hrs, 2 dives, and $249. I'd be very interested in comments on it. If this is getting a diving C card, this is a good deal. Their language of "allowing you beginner level access" makes me think this is different from what most are talking about in this thread.



http://shorex.rccl.com/RC/AvailList....ationtype=null
This is the full certification course. Classroom time is about 12 hours (total) pluse pool time plus 2 dives. Sign up for the next 2 dives as well and you complete your initial certification.
__________________
Mike

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas


Serenade of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 99
Default

This is an excellent deal then. The class includes the two dives. At $249, it is about $200 cheaper than I can get this here at home.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

browezilla,

This is an excellent deal then. The class includes the two dives. At $249, it is about $200 cheaper than I can get this here at home.

Yes, but the catch is that the classroom portion apparently requires a fair amount of study between classes to master the material thoroughly enough to pass the test. Time spent studying the course material in advance will reduce the time spent "cramming" aboard the ship. Those who don't study ahead of time may spend several days of the cruise with little time for other activities.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:19 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 825
Default

I used to work as a scuba instructor down in the FL Keys. Many of our clients had done the pool and course work at home, then came to us for their checkout dives while vacationing. Now we did do a classroom and pool review before heading out to the water just to be sure they knew what they were doing, etc. We even went so far as to send the class materials to the clients so that they could study the info at home on their own, which many preferred. Once they came to us, we reviewed the info, did the tests, etc.

In my opinion, I would do as much of the work at home so you have more time to prep/study/practice, and be able to enjoy your vacation (ie not be stuck in a classroom for several hours a day). As others have mentioned, be sure to bring along any paperwork, medical releases, dr note, etc.

alison
__________________
AHC-Hawaiian Islands
CCL-Bahamas
HAL-Caribbean
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
certification, certified, cruise, scuba

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PADI Scuba Certification?? Cruiseme Royal Caribbean International 12 March 25th, 2006 09:41 AM
PADI Scuba Certification luv2B@sea Royal Caribbean International 8 July 15th, 2005 07:20 PM
dive certification course Siela Shore Excursions 1 January 10th, 2004 04:24 PM
scuba certification R&W Shore Excursions 0 August 8th, 2003 06:20 AM
On-Board Scuba Certification on RCI Voyager of the cmries Ask CruiseMates Staff 1 February 10th, 2001 08:21 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1